Boston's theater district

StageManager2 Profile PhotoStageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Boston's theater district#0
Posted: 2/16/06 at 3:31pm
I'm going to see LES MISERABLES this weekend at the Boston Opera House on Washington Street. Does any one know of any good restaurants around there? Nothing fancy or exhorbitant. Also, I'm a vegetarian but I'll be going with meat-eaters.
Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia
tourboi
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Boston's theater district#1
Posted: 2/16/06 at 3:35pm
I don't recall the name but if you are standing in front of the opera house, facing the doors, head right down Washington to the first corner and turn left. You'll see a burrito/taco place. It's good, tasty food, and cheap.

There's also, a little farther, Rock Bottom Brewery at the corner of Tremont and Stewart, about a 10 min walk from the Opera House. It's my fave pre theatre place in Boston. Good food, quick service, reasonable prices.

Deena Jones
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Boston's theater district#2
Posted: 2/16/06 at 4:02pm
Walk to Chinatown- lots of great options there.
timote316
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Boston's theater district#3
Posted: 2/16/06 at 4:05pm
I don't know what kind of vegetarian options they have, but I enjoy going to Cheers before shows in Boston. Its a bit of a walk, but the walk is through Boston Common, so it isn't too bad.

And wouldn't you know it - I had no idea Les Mis was hear already! I may have to look into Rush for tomorrow night...
noshow
Swing
Swing
re: Boston's theater district#4
Posted: 2/16/06 at 4:20pm
What kind of cuisine are you looking for?

If you want casual, Chinatown is just a few steps away where you can satisfy vegetarians and carnivores alike by picking a Chinese, Vietnamese, Japanese or Malaysian restaurant.

Several good choices depending on the craving you had in mind.

FYI, The Opera House is downtown, and not really in the "Theater District" which is the intersection of Tremont St. and Stuart St. surrounding the Emerson Majestic Theatre, Shubert, Wang Center, Charles Playhouse, etc.

eta: Deena J. beat me to the Chinatown mention. Drats!
Updated On: 2/16/06 at 04:20 PM
waddledee524 Profile Photowaddledee524 Profile Photo
waddledee524
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Boston's theater district#5
Posted: 2/16/06 at 4:26pm
In Chinatown, there's this one Malaysian restaurant I've been to twice, each time I've been to Boston. It's called Penang, and it is fantastic. Right around the corner from most theatres. 685 Washington Street ... I highly recommend it.
Hear the words I sing: war's a horrid thing. So, I sing sing sing... Ding a ling a ling.
Updated On: 2/16/06 at 04:26 PM
StageManager2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Boston's theater district#6
Posted: 2/17/06 at 2:06pm
Thanks everyone for your contributions! It's greatly appreciated.
Salve, Salve Regina
O clemens O pia
StageManager2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Boston's theater district#7
Posted: 2/17/06 at 2:11pm
I live in central Mass. so I'll be going to Alewife and taking the Red Line to Park St. Can't I then take the Green Line to Arlington if I want to go to Cheers? If memory serves, I think that's where the Publig Garden is and the restaurant is directly accross. That would certainly beat walking through Boston Common.
Salve, Salve Regina
O clemens O pia
VanHassle
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Boston's theater district#8
Posted: 2/17/06 at 2:12pm
The mexican place mentioned earlier is Fajitas and Ritas. It's on West St. And for that matter there is also the West Street Grill on the same street. There is also a California Pizza Kitchen right by the Rock Bottom mentioned earlier. If you're up for a bit a walk, there's Maggiano's by the Park Plaza.
peach
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Boston's theater district#9
Posted: 2/17/06 at 2:14pm
If you get off the T at Park Street, you can walk to Cheers by cutting through the Common, or Arlington is a good bet as well (can't remember the cross street for Cheers!)

However, Cheers is often loaded with tourists. I recommend Chinatown (yummy!). Teatro is also good pre and post theate - it's on Tremont near the movie theatre. It's about a five minute walk from the Opera House. Italian - delish. Sort of funky casual.

Updated On: 2/17/06 at 02:14 PM
VanHassle
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Boston's theater district#10
Posted: 2/17/06 at 2:15pm
Cheers is on Beacon Street, not Arlington. Cheers is along the Garden but on the other side of the Garden. Beacon and Arlington run parell. You'd have to walk up Charles Street, and down Beacon to get to Cheers from Arlington. You'd almost be better off, just walking down Beacon from the Park ST area, and avoid chaninging trains.
timote316
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Boston's theater district#11
Posted: 2/17/06 at 2:30pm
If you go early (between 5 and 6), Cheers isnt busy at all. Plus, its the beginning of the staff's shifts, so they are usually cheerful.
Princeton78 Profile PhotoPrinceton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Boston's theater district#12
Posted: 2/17/06 at 2:43pm
Teatro is nearby and good, as is Tantric.
PF Changs is tasty, but hard to get a table at.
Finale is always an excellent choice for dessert.
"Y'all have a GRAND day now"
ACTlete676 Profile PhotoACTlete676 Profile Photo
ACTlete676
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Boston's theater district#13
Posted: 2/17/06 at 2:50pm
I like going California Pizza Kitchen and that food court behind the Colonial. I went there before 700 sundays and little shop.
Who says blondes have more fun on the French Riviera?
millie_dillmount Profile Photomillie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Boston's theater district#14
Posted: 2/17/06 at 5:54pm
I believe there is also a cheers at Quincy Market...which is the Government Center stop on the green line.
"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611
jsg03jd Profile Photojsg03jd Profile Photo
jsg03jd
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Boston's theater district#15
Posted: 2/17/06 at 7:10pm
Try Penang in Chinatown. Great Pan-Asian cuisine.
pushdabutton Profile Photopushdabutton Profile Photo
pushdabutton
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Boston's theater district#16
Posted: 2/17/06 at 10:26pm
There is a Bennigan's on Stuart Street (across from the Stuart Street Playhouse) that is very good. It's not real close to the Opera House though, it's about a 10-15 minute walk.
Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Boston's theater district#17
Posted: 2/18/06 at 12:20am
Is that restaurant really called "Cheers"? I ate there several years ago and thought it was called something like "Cock and Bull". Am I delusional? It was very noisy as I recall.
"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Boston's theater district#18
Posted: 2/18/06 at 9:14am
You're all forgetting that Boston has numerous seafood restaurants all over the place. My favorite is Tia's behind the Quincy Market.
Jon
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Boston's theater district#19
Posted: 2/18/06 at 9:27am
It's really the Bull and Finch Pub, butr everyone calls it the Cheers bar. Total tourist trap.
MusicAndPassion Profile PhotoMusicAndPassion Profile Photo
MusicAndPassion
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Boston's theater district#20
Posted: 2/18/06 at 10:06am
There is a Legal Seafood somewhere there.
Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Boston's theater district#21
Posted: 2/18/06 at 10:10am
That's right! The Bull and Finch! The food wasn't bad, but we were sitting in the laps of other diners and the noise level was very high. Some people like that I guess.
Stitch_Stalker Profile PhotoStitch_Stalker Profile Photo
Stitch_Stalker
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Boston's theater district#22
Posted: 2/18/06 at 10:19am
Also, right across from the Opera House is some kind of health food restaurant called...Get Fit? (I think...) It was some kind of name with a pun in it... Anyway, my friends and I went in there thinking it was Quiznos and it was rather good. They have both vegetarian and meat cuisine there.
timote316
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Boston's theater district#23
Posted: 2/18/06 at 12:28pm
Dolly - If you don't go during peak hours, its not crowded or noisy at all. I wouldn't step foot in there after 6pm, however.

And there is a Cheers in Quincy Market, as millie mentioned. Its a replica of the TV bar. I've never been there, I was referring to the Bull and Finch.
Jilani
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Boston's theater district#24
Posted: 2/18/06 at 12:33pm
Stitch, do you mean the Knowfat Lifestyle Grille? I've been meaning to try that place. I second a lot of the recommendations that have already been posted (and note that there's a Legal Seafood diagonally across from P.F. Chang's), but my favorite place to go before an Opera House show is Penang - it's just down the street, a 2 minute walk, and it's so good!