Cost of living in NYC?

Type_A_Tiff Profile PhotoType_A_Tiff Profile Photo
Type_A_Tiff
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Cost of living in NYC?#0
Posted: 9/26/04 at 6:06pm
This was discussed a while ago but I can't seem to find the thread. I'm hoping to re-locate to NYC in the next couple of years, and I was curious as to the price of a 1 or 2 bedroom apt in Manhattan and the boroughs. What's the bottom price I can expect to get a decent loft for (like, no cockroaches, bathroom in the kitchen, etc.) and what's the location like? I'm not expecting a Sex&theCity-type place. Just something very basic and (relatively) inexpensive.
"It's not always about you!!!" (But if you think I'm referring to you anyway, then I probably am.)

"Good luck returning my ass!" - Wilhemina Slater

"This is my breakfast, lunch and f***ing dinner right here. I'm not even f***in' joking." - Colin Farrell
jakebloke Profile Photojakebloke Profile Photo
jakebloke
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Cost of living in NYC?#1
Posted: 9/26/04 at 6:07pm
you looking to buy or rent?
Ebonic_Singer Profile PhotoEbonic_Singer Profile Photo
Ebonic_Singer
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cost of living in NYC?#2
Posted: 9/26/04 at 6:08pm
A lot.
jakebloke
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Cost of living in NYC?#3
Posted: 9/26/04 at 6:11pm
Yeah...either way....$$$$$ the only thing cheaper in NYC than other places are roses....well the ones you buy at the corner.
newyorkuniq Profile Photonewyorkuniq Profile Photo
newyorkuniq
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cost of living in NYC?#4
Posted: 9/26/04 at 6:14pm
It really depends on what area you live in. In my building on the upper west side I believe a one bedroom is around $1,500 a month. If you look in Brooklyn things get much cheaper.
Type_A_Tiff
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cost of living in NYC?#5
Posted: 9/26/04 at 6:21pm
Renting. I can't even afford to buy in Vancouver, much less NYC.

What are the more inexpensive parts of Manhattan?
"It's not always about you!!!" (But if you think I'm referring to you anyway, then I probably am.)

"This is my breakfast, lunch and f***ing dinner right here. I'm not even f***in' joking." - Colin Farrell
jakebloke
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Cost of living in NYC?#6
Posted: 9/26/04 at 6:48pm
There's no cheap areas. But the West Village is up there in the more $$$ areas to live.
MargoChanning Profile PhotoMargoChanning Profile Photo
MargoChanning
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cost of living in NYC?#7
Posted: 9/26/04 at 6:55pm
There really aren't any cheap parts of Manhattan anymore, except maybe Washington Heights or upper Harlem and even then not always. Go to Brooklyn or Queens -- much cheaper, much more space.

I live in the Williamsburg/Greenpoint area of Brooklyn, one stop into Brooklyn (I can walk out of my apartment and be in the East Village in less than 15 minutes and in midtown in less than a half an hour). The neighborhood has the whole young artist feel the Village had a decade or so ago, only cleaner and safer, with lots of restaurants, bars, performance spaces etc opening left and right. I live alone in my own two bedroom apartment, with two terraces (one with a view of the Manhattan skyline), a washer dryer, a roofdeck and other amenities, on a quiet tree-lined block two minutes away from a beautiful park and I pay less than friends in Manhattan living in tiny studios smaller than my living room. Mind you, Manhattanites have unfortunately discovered the neighborhood and prices are beginning to skyrocket (one bedrooms are starting to go for $2000+, and two bedrooms for over $3000 in some cases -- thankfully I've lived here for a few years).

If you want to live almost anywhere in Manhattan, you'll almost have to have a roommate or two and unless you're extremely lucky, in most cases expect your share of the rent to be around $1000 a month. You might check Chinatown, Hell's Kitchen (which I think the real estate people call Clinton now), the upper east side (oddly, though it's one of the ritzier areas of town, I've had several friends find deals in the east 80's and 90's), and MAYBE the lower east side (though I doubt it). You'd be better off in Williamburg, Boerum Hill, Carroll Gardens or Fort Greene in Brooklyn or in Long Island City or certain parts of Queens Boulevard in Queens.

There are deals out there (check the Voice) -- good luck.
"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
shesings Profile Photoshesings Profile Photo
shesings
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cost of living in NYC?#8
Posted: 9/26/04 at 7:01pm
Ok, I have lived in a few neighborhoods in NYC, and its all been very expensive. I had a one-bedroom midtown east that was 1800 a month, as well as an upper east side studio for 1750. I am currently living in a studio that is 1830 (but it is in a "luxury" building with doorman, concierge, etc - and its the same sq fottage as my one bdrm). Generally my electric bill is around $100 a month, phone is about $30, cable is $120 (but I have cable modem and premium service). Groceries are what really kill me. They are so much more expensive that the rest of the world. I've been going to Target and Brooklyn for a lot of stuff lately b/c its so much cheaper. For instance a Totino's pizza is 1.09 at Target, but 3.50 at the grocery store in Manhattan. Factor is you metro card (monthly is like $70) and cabs rides too. Overall its pretty expensive, but I've found that jobs start pay at higher rates as well. And just being in Manhattan is well worth it! Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.
Type_A_Tiff
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cost of living in NYC?#9
Posted: 9/26/04 at 7:09pm
Thanks for the advice, folks! (expect that pm soon)

What type of sq footage am I looking at for a 1, 2 BR?

chinkie azn jai Profile Photochinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cost of living in NYC?#10
Posted: 9/26/04 at 7:11pm
what are some good real estate websites out there for nyc?
"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D
CurtainUp2 Profile PhotoCurtainUp2 Profile Photo
CurtainUp2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cost of living in NYC?#11
Posted: 9/26/04 at 8:20pm
Margo... can I come live with you? re: Cost of living in NYC?
There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered. - Nelson Mandela
MargoChanning
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cost of living in NYC?#12
Posted: 9/26/04 at 8:22pm
Where? In the maid's quarters? I wouldn't advise it -- Nursie's very territorial about her room.
"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
KMF_NYC Profile PhotoKMF_NYC Profile Photo
KMF_NYC
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cost of living in NYC?#13
Posted: 9/26/04 at 8:26pm
just west of the Hudson is Jersey City -- I am 5 minutes into downtown NYC (World Trade Cener), have over 1800 square feet of space and a car...I work midtown and am in the office door to door in 25 minutes...Jersey ain't all bad folks....and I have a great view f the harbour and lady liberty!
"Sir K, the Viscount of Uppity-shire...." -- kissmycookie
MargoChanning
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cost of living in NYC?#14
Posted: 9/26/04 at 8:36pm
KMF --

I have several friends who live in Jersey City and Hoboken and have similar stories. Their commutes are all less than a half an hour and their rents are all roughly half of what they would be for roughly the equivalent apartment in Manhattan.

There was a time in my 20s when I was out every night and I felt that I HAD to live in Manhattan, even if that meant living in a poorly maintained shoebox in a tenement with unreliable heat and water pressure, slanted floors and vermin of all shapes and sizes. Not anymore. It's funny -- over 80% of New Yorkers don't live in Manhattan, often have nice, spacious places with backyards or terraces in decent neighborhoods that are within a very short distance of Manhattan. Took me a while to realize that.
Matt_G Profile PhotoMatt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cost of living in NYC?#15
Posted: 9/26/04 at 8:39pm
I'm going through the hellish experience of trying to find a place and a roommate in Manhattan as well. Needless to say I don't sleep much at night anymore.
"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."
buddha2 Profile Photobuddha2 Profile Photo
buddha2
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Cost of living in NYC?#16
Posted: 9/26/04 at 8:43pm
I'm rent stabalized in Chelsea at 15th and 8th for $550 incl utilities, sm 1 bdrm. I guess I'm fairly lucky. Been here 15 yrs though.
Matt_G Profile PhotoMatt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cost of living in NYC?#17
Posted: 9/26/04 at 8:45pm
Oh just shut up, Buddha! re: Cost of living in NYC?
"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."
Type_A_Tiff
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cost of living in NYC?#18
Posted: 9/26/04 at 8:46pm
Wow! What's the sq footage? (What's the general sq footage for a 1/2 BR in MAnhattan?)

Margo - That actually enlightened me, because I am one of those 20-somethings who feel the need to BE in Manhattan (but after visiting NYC in April and seeing how efficient and fantastic your subway system is, I'm willing to think differently).

MargoChanning
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cost of living in NYC?#19
Posted: 9/26/04 at 9:01pm
As much as we complain about it, the subway is truly a miracle and the best deal in town. It runs 24/7/365 and despite the delays and construction, 90+% of the time, it functions without incident.

I know a LOT of 20-somethings living here in Williamsburg. As I said, it has the same energy the East Village did in the early - mid 90's when I lived there -- if you look down the platform at the Bedford stop on the L, the first stop into Brooklyn, most of the time the average age of the people waiting for the train is probably 24 - 28. There are lots are bars and clubs here, but whenever you feel like heading into Manhattan, it's one stop on the L to the East Village (a less than 5 minute trip).
Updated On: 9/26/04 at 09:01 PM
Type_A_Tiff
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cost of living in NYC?#20
Posted: 9/26/04 at 9:08pm
I was going to reiterate chinkie azn's question about any good websites for realty in NYC.

I'm scrolling down to find out about Williamsburg - is it part of Queens? (That would be a bonus for me - I'd love to be close to MoMA!)

Kristie-K2 Profile PhotoKristie-K2 Profile Photo
Kristie-K2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cost of living in NYC?#21
Posted: 9/26/04 at 9:12pm
me too!!!
jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cost of living in NYC?#22
Posted: 9/26/04 at 9:28pm
Astoria, Queens is hugely popular for theatre folk. It is much cheaper than Manhatten and only 20 - 30 minutes from my apt to Times Square--same as most any drive to work I ever had. The neighborhoods are very friendly. I would look at apts anywhere off of the Broadway, 30th Ave, Astoria Blvd, or Ditmars stops (maybe 36th Ave, as well).

Found my apt on craigslist.org
Type_A_Tiff
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cost of living in NYC?#23
Posted: 9/26/04 at 9:45pm
Oooh, good stuff on craigslist!

Sorry if this sounds ignorant, but what's this broker fee and such? I'm just trying to figure out which category I should be looking under. What are these different fees?

all apts (includes by-owner + no-fee broker + fee broker + registration fee)

all no-broker-fee apts (includes by-owner + no-fee broker + registration fee)

all no-fee apts (includes by-owner + no-fee-broker)

by-owner apts only (no brokers)

KMF_NYC Profile PhotoKMF_NYC Profile Photo
KMF_NYC
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cost of living in NYC?#24
Posted: 9/26/04 at 9:49pm
I was there too Margo -- HAD to have the Manhatten address...I got over it after a while as I started going out less and less -- I was luck to be able to buy here before everything went wild -- now apartments smaller than mine are selling for upwards of $750K....
"Sir K, the Viscount of Uppity-shire...." -- kissmycookie