Page: 1

Political Activism for under 18 yr olds

Sunfish
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Political Activism for under 18 yr olds#0
Posted: 8/18/04 at 3:03am
I've been combing the political threads looking for the funny films and clips that I couldn't watch until I got new speakers for the computer. In one of the threads, some under-18's were bemoaning that they couldn't vote in this election, because they felt it was really important. Even if you can't vote, you can contribute energy and action.

The Kerry campaign has a very comprehensive volunteer center, just go to their website
http://www.johnkerry.com/index.html
and sign up to be a volunteer. The jobs are listed by area. One of the cool things they have are monthly "meet-ups" of other volunteers and supporters in your area. The next one is a week from Thursday, August 26th.

If you live in a rural area, contact your local Democratic organization. You can get information about your state at
https://www.democrats.org/index2.html

Choose your state from the menu at the left hand side.

You can pass out information at events, canvass door-to-door, drive people to the polls on election day, write letters to the editor (there is a media corp. and rapid response team), send reminder e-mails to people who CAN vote to make sure they DO vote, etc.

You are not too young to make a difference! Did you see the "Kids for Kerry" girl at the Democratic Convention? ("Our Vice President said a REALLY BAD WORD. If I said that word I would be given a time out. I think our Vice President should be given a REALLY LONG time out!" or approximately so.)

The two who posted about not being able to vote were Kerry supporters, as am I, so I am posting info regarding their interests. I'm sure the "other side" has the same kinds of opportunities.

Just don't go by the ads. Or the news pundits interpretations. Kerry has published his detailed plans, and how he expects to pay for them. I doubt Bush has, but you have his record to rely on. Know what you are talking about when you talk to people and try to influence them.

And, does anyone have those political-joke film links handy?
feinstein9 Profile Photofeinstein9 Profile Photo
feinstein9
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
are you john kerry's mom?
Sunfish
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
No. I believe she passed away just before he announced he was running for President.

If you read the "Bush going into the convention" thread you will see that there are, in fact, a couple of "youngers" who wished they could vote.

I was raised in politics. Best to develop the interest early before apathy and disillusionment sets in. :) I figure that if you don't participate, you really don't have the right to complain.

If you want to research the Bush camp volunteer opportunites, feel free. Or call Papa. re: Political Activism for under 18 yr olds
Nina Profile PhotoNina Profile Photo
Nina
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I have to commend someone under 18 who has taken an interest in politics and what is happening in this country. Thank you, Sunfish, for posting this information and I hope that other "kids" will follow your example.
BroadwayBoy2005 Profile PhotoBroadwayBoy2005 Profile Photo
BroadwayBoy2005
Stand-by
Stand-by
I just turned 18 last May. So, this election will be the first one I will have ever voted in. I will be voting (for Kerry, of course) and I just wish everyone my age understood how important it is to vote- for the dumbass or the better choice- a vote is a vote any way you look at it.
Sunfish
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Nina, thanks for the compliment but I am of legal age to vote and then some. Been through the disillusionment and apathy stage. But my early "training", if you will, keeps kicking in. I'm just giving them that little extra shove... if they are interested enough to be upset maybe just that little bit of extra information, a link or two, and an urging will encourage early involvement.

Updated On: 8/18/04 at 04:56 PM
BroadwayMonkey Profile PhotoBroadwayMonkey Profile Photo
BroadwayMonkey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Wicked awesome!
Real men are tenors.
Plum
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Through a combination of the fact that my parents are politically engaged and that none of us could vote because we weren't citizens, I grew to treasure the right to vote before I was 10. Luckily, I got my citizenship right before I turned 18. I haven't missed an election since. Not even a Board of Education budget vote. :)
feinstein9
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
sorry bad joke re: Political Activism for under 18 yr olds i'm quite please to have turned 18 in the past year, and am SO pumped to be voting. convincing my friends to vote, however, is a duanting task. they just don't care. anyway, rock the vote!
Plum
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Tell them that if they don't vote, they don't have the right to complain about anything government related. That means taxes, roads, mail, health insurance, education, arts funding, foreign policy, homeland security, criminal justice, immigration and naturalization, consumer protection, the environment, workplace safety, disaster relief, research funding, Social Security, Medicare, historical preservation, or the economy. Among other things.

If you don't take part in the system you're cheating both yourself and it. You're taking away what little power you have in the world and you're reducing the functionality of our government. It's bad all around.
LadyGuenevere
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Political Activism for under 18 yr olds#10
Posted: 8/18/04 at 10:22pm
Plum, even though we disagree on views, it's nice to see that you were interested in voting at such a young age. :)
Plum
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Political Activism for under 18 yr olds#11
Posted: 8/18/04 at 10:27pm
All my parents' fault, I tell you. They were incredibly frustrated that they couldn't vote back in 1992, the first Presidential election we witnessed in the U.S. I guess their sense of urgency tranferred to me.

And political diversity makes this country great. Helps me refine my arguments, too. :)
Sunfish
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Political Activism for under 18 yr olds#12
Posted: 8/19/04 at 12:23am
feinstein9, so glad you will be voting! Memorize Plum's list of things your friends can't complain about if they don't vote, and keep reminding them. And then if they STILL don't vote, you can pull a version of "I told you so" for the next 4 years, whenever they complain about any of those topics "Sorry, you haven't got the right to complain." Maybe let them off if they vote in the mid-terms. re: Political Activism for under 18 yr olds'
feinstein9
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Political Activism for under 18 yr olds#13
Posted: 8/19/04 at 12:24am
plum, sunfish- you guys are right. i'll be sure to let them know re: Political Activism for under 18 yr olds