Why Gay Marriage is Wrong.

JamieMcG Profile PhotoJamieMcG Profile Photo
JamieMcG
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Why Gay Marriage is Wrong.#0
Posted: 7/21/04 at 11:09am
My friend TJ's list of the top 12 reasons Gay Marriage is wrong

Homosexuality is not natural, much like eyeglasses, polyester, and birth control are not natural.

Heterosexual marriages are valid because they produce children. Infertile couples and old people cannot get legally married because the world needs more children.

Obviously gay parents will raise gay children because straight parents only raise straight children.

Straight marriage will be less meaningful, since Britney Spears's 55-hour just-for-fun marriage was meaningful.

Heterosexual marriage has been around for a long time, and it hasn't changed at all: women are property, Blacks can't marry Whites, and divorce is illegal.

Gay marriage should be decided by the people, not the courts, because the majority-elected legislatures, not courts, have historically protected the rights of minorities.

Gay marriage is not supported by religion. In a theocracy like ours, the values of one religion are always imposed on the entire country. That's why we only have one religion in America.

Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay, in the same way that hanging around tall people makes you tall.

Legalizing gay marriage will open the door to all kinds of crazy behavior. People may even wish to marry their pets because a dog has legal standing and can sign a marriage license.

Children can never succeed without both male and female role models at home. That's why single parents are forbidden to raise children.

Gay marriage will change the foundation of society. Heterosexual marriage has been around for a long time, and we could never adapt to new social norms because we haven't adapted to cars or longer lifespans.

Civil unions, providing most of the same benefits as marriage with a different name are better, because a "separate but equal" institution is always constitutional. Separate schools for African-Americans worked just as well as separate marriages will for gays & lesbians.
"There is nothing scary about life, if you are not attached to the results." - Conversations With God
Updated On: 7/21/04 at 11:09 AM
Rathnait62 Profile PhotoRathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Why Gay Marriage is Wrong.#1
Posted: 7/21/04 at 11:12am
I'm gay, and agree with most of this, but disagree with using the Spears' instance. Why? Because it's an anomaly and people (hetero ones) won't take it seriously as an example. There are much better examples out there to use - like the divorce rate.
Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: why gay marriage is wrong.#2
Posted: 7/21/04 at 11:14am
my god man, this tj is a freakin' prophet! he needs his own network show because here finally in one succinct document are the answers that we on the right have been trying to articulate for almost a year now. i mean anyone who can read this and still argue that there is a place for gay marriage in america obviously has more than one screw loose. thank you, you jamie for sharing this and thank tj from both me and the gop. galdurn, i have to copy and paste this into an email to ed gillespie and ken mehlman!

whooeeee, powerful stuff!
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
Updated On: 7/21/04 at 11:14 AM
JamieMcG Profile PhotoJamieMcG Profile Photo
JamieMcG
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: why gay marriage is wrong.#3
Posted: 7/21/04 at 11:22am
See, I think the Spears instance is a wonderful example to use, if only because the right wing is constantly arguing for the "sanctity of marriage." And I don't think this is an anomaly, I think this happens rather often in Las Vegas. I think we just happened to hear a lot more about this instance since it was a very public figure that it happened to. I had an argument with my own father (who has been married and divorced three times), and he still feels that he should have a right to get married and I should not.
"There is nothing scary about life, if you are not attached to the results." - Conversations With God
Rathnait62 Profile PhotoRathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: why gay marriage is wrong.#4
Posted: 7/21/04 at 11:25am
People scoff at the Britney story and don't think it applies to marriage in general though. I think the whole point of this list is to make them relate to us in order to gain understanding. Using a pop star's 55 hour marriage is not going to do that.
Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson
Updated On: 7/21/04 at 11:25 AM
jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: why gay marriage is wrong.#5
Posted: 7/21/04 at 11:59am
No, the point is that heterosexuals can go get married in a fast food style wedding and then annul or divorce after the weekend if they feel like they made a mistake or if it was "just for fun", but a gay or lesbian couple who has been together for 10, 20, 30 years can not get married. The point is that is marriage is soooo sacred, then why are these kinds of weddings legal?

Jamie: Your father's pov SUCKS! :)
BroadwayMonkey Profile PhotoBroadwayMonkey Profile Photo
BroadwayMonkey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: why gay marriage is wrong.#6
Posted: 7/21/04 at 1:30pm
I don't see what's wrong with gay marriage. Seems pretty normal to me.
Real men are tenors.
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: why gay marriage is wrong.#7
Posted: 7/21/04 at 1:36pm
now just a cotton pickin' minute there, jrb. i will not have you demeaning the glorious sacredity of the combination drive thru wedding chapel, liquor store and shotgun outlet, dammit! first it's the weddings and then they'll be by god applying for hunting licenses and color coordinating the damn camos. where does it end i ask you? where???

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: why gay marriage is wrong.#8
Posted: 7/21/04 at 1:38pm
It will end when we have YOU! re: why gay marriage is wrong.
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: why gay marriage is wrong.#9
Posted: 7/21/04 at 1:41pm
now see, that there's why so many of us decry the hidden agenda! now i gotta start wearin' mah britches with the iron seat again! haven't had those doggone things on since i had to take notes at a reading of a lanford wilson play!

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: why gay marriage is wrong.#10
Posted: 7/21/04 at 1:49pm
you might cover your mouth, too. There's a duel purpose in that.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: why gay marriage is wrong.#11
Posted: 7/21/04 at 1:55pm
why hell, i never take off my hannibal lektor (piss off, i prefer the manhunter spelling because i'm a contrarian) mask so that's no problem. it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: why gay marriage is wrong.#12
Posted: 7/21/04 at 1:59pm
I'm thinking a gag would be better.
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: why gay marriage is wrong.#13
Posted: 7/21/04 at 2:00pm
i thought that was your gig.

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: why gay marriage is wrong.#14
Posted: 7/21/04 at 2:04pm
I'm sure you are a quick learner with the whole gag gig.

ANYWAY, back to topic! lol
Zola Q. LaPlaya Profile PhotoZola Q. LaPlaya Profile Photo
Zola Q. LaPlaya
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: why gay marriage is wrong.#15
Posted: 7/21/04 at 2:33pm
Glad to see the bondage talk is still alive and well.
Stop worrying about what I'm doing -- focus instead on what you're eating.
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: why gay marriage is wrong.#16
Posted: 7/21/04 at 2:35pm
well, jrb figured if anything would smoke you out, zola, it was a good gag.

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

Zola Q. LaPlaya Profile PhotoZola Q. LaPlaya Profile Photo
Zola Q. LaPlaya
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: why gay marriage is wrong.#17
Posted: 7/21/04 at 3:22pm
Not really my scene (anymore) but I'm always a little leather-curious....
Stop worrying about what I'm doing -- focus instead on what you're eating.
DAME Profile PhotoDAME Profile Photo
DAME
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: why gay marriage is wrong.#18
Posted: 7/21/04 at 3:24pm
ZOLA IS BACK! Al lis well in the world. re: why gay marriage is wrong.
HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!
BWayBoy88
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: why gay marriage is wrong.#19
Posted: 7/21/04 at 3:59pm
Those are some great points. I would love to hear Bush try and defend himself against that.
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: why gay marriage is wrong.#20
Posted: 7/21/04 at 4:43pm
what's there to defend against? that there, tj, is just speakin' the truth, man.

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

shesings Profile Photoshesings Profile Photo
shesings
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: why gay marriage is wrong.#21
Posted: 7/21/04 at 6:33pm
if anyone has a chance chek out the ali g show on hbo this week. it was so great. .they spoke with a southern minister who reforms the homosexuals and he was talking about what is allowed in life. will and grace. ungodly. he actually said people can't watch will and grace. it was sooo funny!
Plum
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: why gay marriage is wrong.#22
Posted: 7/21/04 at 6:44pm
Oh, man, that show is hilarious. And yes, Will and Grace is nicht-nicht, according to that reformer of homosexuals. But it wasn't all South-bashing- the two guys in the wine tasting were so relentlessly polite to Borat I was simply amazed.
shesings Profile Photoshesings Profile Photo
shesings
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: why gay marriage is wrong.#23
Posted: 7/21/04 at 6:46pm
#1 - according to that minister you can only eat though if everyone else is christian ... i guess that makes eating out difficult, i mean what would happen if a non christian prepared your food?!? you'd probably die - its a nish nish (sp?)

#2 - i loved those old wine guys .. the comment about the slave! slavery being abolished being good for them, but bad for us - i just about died!
Plum
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: why gay marriage is wrong.#24
Posted: 7/21/04 at 6:48pm
Hon, you should see the trouble Orthodox Jews go through to make sure their food is kosher. Religion is a crazy thing sometimes.