Page: 1

Question for NYers Re the GOP Convention

orion59 Profile Photoorion59 Profile Photo
orion59
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Question for NYers Re the GOP Convention#0
Posted: 6/15/04 at 6:11pm
Why aren't you guys complaining about it? In Boston, we are all pretty upset by the inconveniences and the major headaches that will be caused by the DNC in July.

Do you guys just not complain or is it that NYC is better equipped to handle something like this? For security, highways will be closed down for miles around the convention site. Public trains will be stopped at certain stations and shuttle buses will be used. The whole thing seems to have been badly thought out. The DNC will be held in the Fleet Center which happens to be above one of our largest train stations (which will be closed down), in the middle of an area filled with state govermnment buildings and very close to our financial district.
How is teh GOP effecting NYC?
http://www.danperezgallery.com
ckeaton Profile Photockeaton Profile Photo
ckeaton
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Allow me to jump the gun here:

GOP Convention Complaints:
Mass bouts of nausea.

(I've always said, it's better to pick on one's self, rather than let someone else do it for you)
Hamlet's father.
orion59
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Me thinks the link doesn't work.
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
There are a lot of complaints, especially from people who can't get permits to hold demonstrations. Having a convention in NYC is so stupid. It's too crowded and makes too much mess. Same about the Olympics. They shouldn't be held in a city this size.
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
orion59
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
That's funny, Bostonians feel the same way except we think our city is too small. Our major commuter highways come right into the center of the city and will now be closed miles back from the city. One of the two largest commuter rail stations will be closed. Our widest streets are probably only half the width of 5th Ave and our subway system is not nearly as extended or fast as NYC. It's going top be a nightmare. My company is trying to plan for huge numbers of employees being late or having to leave early or both. A large number of people who work in the city have felt compelled to take vacations to avoid the hassel.

It seems that NYC is handling their convention much easier. I wondered if it's just being used to hosting large events or if the sheer size of the city makes it easier to get around in spite of the added restrictions.

They really should have held this in rural Wisconsin.
ckeaton Profile Photockeaton Profile Photo
ckeaton
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Perhaps a better place for the GOP convention anyway, sociologically speaking.

Can you imagine 4 cheese farmers standing alone outside 2 miles of police barricade, holding signs as a dust cloud blows by...
Hamlet's father.
secret-soul Profile Photosecret-soul Profile Photo
secret-soul
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Actually, I think Central Park is where the large rallying anti-GOP demonstration is taking place....maybe.
Plince! Plince! Nein! T-Rex!!
sabrelady Profile Photosabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
We held the G 7 meeting here once & THAT was trouble enough! I don't want the Olympics or any other over large political contigent here. Yes people keep saying they bring $$ but I'd Really like to see #'s. I think these events cost more,esp w security ,than they can produce!
Words that confuse censors:Fecund,penal,taint, titmouse, cockatoo,coccyx, ballcock, cockeye, prickly,kumquat, titter,cunning linguist, insertion, gobble, guzzle, swallow, manhole, rimshot,ramrod,come, fallacious, lugubrious,rectify,Uranus, angina, paradiddle,spotted dick,dictum, frock,cunctation, engorge,turgid,stiff, bush, uvula, crapulence, masticate, Dick Butkus, gherkin and of course the always bewildering lickety split. As you can see, context is every thing. Chuck Lorre Addendum: 555 382 5968 "Sexarama, Hexarama, Queeriosis, Feariosis!" Alec Baldwin Im going to have to science the shit outta this. The Martian
son_of_a_gunn_25 Profile Photoson_of_a_gunn_25 Profile Photo
son_of_a_gunn_25
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Indy is a convention city so we are used to the hustle and bustle, of course we also haven't had a convention the size of the political conventions. How many people are expected to be coming into the city for the convention?
My avatar is a reminder to myself. I need lots of reminders...
Borstalboy Profile PhotoBorstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Well, actually, New Yorkers, you do have a possible alternative...check this out.
Draft Bruce
"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing. ~ Muhammad Ali
~FloweryFriend~ Profile Photo~FloweryFriend~ Profile Photo
~FloweryFriend~
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Question for NYers Re the GOP Convention#10
Posted: 6/25/04 at 10:26am
My mother is a huge Bruce fan.
That just made her day.
I starred in a short film called Magnetic Personality. Check it out!