Page: 1

WICKED: "The slang you've got to know..."

CATSNYrevival Profile PhotoCATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
WICKED: "The slang you've got to know..."#0
Posted: 5/13/04 at 5:23am
All right, for whatever reason, WICKED has a lot of strange words and odd references that I think should be brought to attention, just cuz, I think it's funny ... so below I've compiled a short list of some of the words in the show (along with definitions) that I was truly hazy about or just had no clue.... some, I still don't know. Enjoy!

fervid - very hot

detestation - extreme hatred or dislike

tarter - agreeably sharp or acid to the taste

martyr - a person who voluntarily suffers death as the penalty of witnessing to and refusing to renounce a religion

disgusticified - ?

rife - prevalent especially to an increasing degree

swankified - coolest, best

flounce - a strip of fabric attached by one edge

cohorts - a group of individuals having a statistical factor (as age or class membership) in common in a demographic study

dialysis - the separation of substances in solution by means of their unequal diffusion through semipermeable membranes; especially: such a separation of colloids from soluble substances

clandestinely - marked by, held in, or conducted with secrecy

quoxwood tree - ?

hoi polloi - the general populace

mage - a: a member of a hereditary priestly class among the ancient Medes and Persians b: often capitalized : one of the traditionally three wise men from the East paying homage to the infant Jesus

tandem - working or occurring in conjunction with each other

surreptitially - ?

bally hoo - ?

ambiguities - an ambiguous expression

creed - a set of fundamental beliefs; also: a guiding principle

circumvented - to manage to get around especially by ingenuity or stratagem

mooring - a device (as a line or chain) by which an object is secured in place

anyone wanna help with definitions???

feel free to add to the list.
joeyjoe Profile Photojoeyjoe Profile Photo
joeyjoe
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
you do realize that most of these are actual words and existed BW (before Wicked)... but i'll play along...

surreptitiously - Obtained, done, or made by clandestine or stealthy means. Acting with or marked by stealth.

ballyhoo - Sensational or clamorous advertising or publicity.
Noisy shouting or uproar.

quoxwood tree - a very tall tree native to Oz
ckeaton Profile Photockeaton Profile Photo
ckeaton
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Bali Hai - will call you.
Hamlet's father.
redhotinnyc2 Profile Photoredhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
joey - help me out here to refresh my memory - but weren't these few new ones contrived for the play and not at all in the book? I don't recall anyone in the book saying stupid crap like "detestation"...what a stupid script.
"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!
ckeaton Profile Photockeaton Profile Photo
ckeaton
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm pretty sure that the majority of those words aren't in the book. I just finished reading it, and I don't even remember qouxwood trees being referenced.

I think some slash and burn of the English language was done for the purpose of a convenient lyric. Rhyming couplets and the like.
Hamlet's father.
redhotinnyc2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
blech
"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!
joeyjoe
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
redhot, the only word on this list that is made up is quoxwood... all others are in the dictionary... it says so... right there...
mominator Profile Photomominator Profile Photo
mominator
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
If I remember right "quoxwood tree" was right from the Baum book. A made up name for a made up place.
B
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien
Updated On: 5/13/04 at 09:17 AM
redhotinnyc2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
wait - detestation and disgusticified (what?) are in the Dictionary????? even if that's true - they were used very horribly in the show...LOL....
joeyjoe
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
oh yeah, degustificified... or, whatever... that one isn't in the dictionary... but it's used in reference to the disbelief that Galinda has to room "with someone so disgusticified"...
Updated On: 5/13/04 at 09:21 AM
redhotinnyc2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
wow - you have a good memory - since we saw that show on Halloween almost 7 months ago!!!!!
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I see nothing wrong with the "ozification" of the English language for the purpose of enhancing the lyrics or dialogue. It does take place in a mythical land, after all, so who cares?

I do think it is funny that most of the "strange words and odd references" are actually pretty common in literature and some of them are just common (martyr, creed, tart, detest, ambiguious).
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
They're just words that I had never heard before and decided to look up, what's wrong with that?
joeyjoe
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
nothing... i thought it was kinda fun!
NuggetMonkeys Profile PhotoNuggetMonkeys Profile Photo
NuggetMonkeys
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
i only wish that hari-kari was in that show...

-d.b.j-
Vary My Days.
BillFinn Profile PhotoBillFinn Profile Photo
BillFinn
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Hoi Polloi is greek for "higher class"
Bill Finn rocks. Woot.
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Well, every dictionary says something different....