Page: 1

STAGEDOOR (the movie)

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photoredhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
STAGEDOOR (the movie)#0
Posted: 5/10/04 at 10:15am
Does anyone else love this as much as me? I saw it again last night with joeyjoe and just enjoyed the hell out of it. Some of the zingers those girls throw at each other are like precursers to the Gilmore Girls - all that fast banter that is almost humanly impossible and yet hilarious. Ginger Rogers is amazing in it as usual and so beautiful...and Kate Hepburn can do no wrong...then there's the older woman ("Have you seen my clippings?")...god what great performances....
"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: STAGEDOOR (the movie)#1
Posted: 5/10/04 at 10:25am
...and Lucille Ball, before she was Lucy!
redhotinnyc2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: STAGEDOOR (the movie)#2
Posted: 5/10/04 at 10:28am
oh yes, very good in that role!
"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!
MasterLcZ Profile PhotoMasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: STAGEDOOR (the movie)#3
Posted: 5/10/04 at 10:39am
And little Ann Miller, too! Though Lucy is really wonderful and saucy.

A great film indeed!
"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: STAGEDOOR (the movie)#4
Posted: 5/10/04 at 11:03am
Terry: I see that in addition to your other charms, you have that insolence generated by an inferior upbringing.
Jean: Hmm. Fancy clothes, fancy language and everything.
Terry: Unfortunately, I learned to speak English correctly.
Jean: That won't be of much use to you here - we all speak pig Latin.
Terry: And I use the right knife and fork. I hope you don't mind.
Jean: All you need's the knife.
redhotinnyc2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: STAGEDOOR (the movie)#5
Posted: 5/10/04 at 11:40am
Voice - thats one of my favorite passages!
MusicMan
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: STAGEDOOR (the movie)#6
Posted: 5/10/04 at 11:59pm

Not to mention the honey-throated Eve Arden...
MasterLcZ Profile PhotoMasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: STAGEDOOR (the movie)#7
Posted: 5/11/04 at 9:15am
re: STAGEDOOR (the movie)

Eve Arden belongs to that rare breed of actress that make any film they are in wonderful...or rather, THEY are always fun to watch even when the rest of the movie is bleeccch. Others in this rarified group include, Ann Southern, Thelma Ritter and Ann Sheridan.

Similar in type to STAGE DOOR is another film I haven't seen for years and was outbid on Ebay for - a nifty little Columbia B-film from 1944 called NINE GIRLS, a comedy-murder mystery set at an exclusive Califonia girl's school. Judging from what little I remember of the dialogue, the girls all major in 'Drag Queen'and win gold stars for wisecracks and bitchy repartee. The head of the sorority is a scheming bitch (played by Leslie Brooks) who blackmails her classmates to write her term papers while she steals their boyfriends and spreads vicious gossip. Of course, Leslie is the gal the audience instantly identifies with. She gets killed (awwwwww) and one of the girls plays detective to find which one of her wronged classmates did it. Oh yeah, brunette tomboy Jeff Donnell plays the baby-dyke who is named 'Butch'. The glamour-girl cast includes Jinx Falkenburg, Leslie Brooks, Jeff Donnell, Lynn Merrick, Nina Foch, Marcia Mae Jones, Evelyn Keyes, Anita Louise, Shirley Mills and Ann Harding (not pictured)

"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"
Updated On: 5/11/04 at 09:15 AM
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: STAGEDOOR (the movie)#8
Posted: 5/11/04 at 9:29am
doesn't she tho?

kinda makes the pee run down your leg.
MusicMan
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: STAGEDOOR (the movie)#9
Posted: 5/11/04 at 9:45am

That's why God made Depends.
redhotinnyc2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: STAGEDOOR (the movie)#10
Posted: 5/11/04 at 9:58am
Eve Arden is so wonderful - I would kill to have the old episodes of Mothers in Law on DVD....
Master - thanks for the info on NINE GIRLS - thats one I'd love to see sometime soon!
ShineOn Profile PhotoShineOn Profile Photo
ShineOn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: STAGEDOOR (the movie)#11
Posted: 5/11/04 at 10:45am
This is my FAVORITE movie of all time.

Aww... little Ann. She was so thrilled to be doing a tap number with Ginger. That movie seriously rocks my world. I want to play Jean so badly.
"You! You are the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber! And you, well, I just plain don't like you."
~Stewart Gilligan Griffin
BroadwayKate
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: STAGEDOOR (the movie)#12
Posted: 5/11/04 at 6:46pm
I was just Terry in the stage version of Stagedoor...good show!

kate
say the word...and i just might listen...
onceadancer2 Profile Photoonceadancer2 Profile Photo
onceadancer2
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: STAGEDOOR (the movie)#13
Posted: 5/12/04 at 9:30am
STAGEDOOR is a wonderful movie: hilarious, sad, compassionate, witty. Moreover, it is a wonderful depiction of theatrical life in the depression years. I have seen it thousands of times over the years and never tire of it.

Miriam
Every movement has a meaning--but what the hell does it mean!
redhotinnyc2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: STAGEDOOR (the movie)#14
Posted: 5/12/04 at 9:41am
I was surprised to find myself crying during the curtain speech that kate's character gives near the end of the film - the look on Ginger Rogers' face just had me in a sobbing heap...(but as my friends would tell you, I cry at the opening of a Hallmark Card!)