Page: 1

Anne Hathaway in Ella Enchanted

emonkeygirl Profile Photoemonkeygirl Profile Photo
emonkeygirl
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Anne Hathaway in Ella Enchanted#0
Posted: 4/14/04 at 4:39pm
Very cute movie (book, of course, is better).
Ms. Hathaway is adorable, though. & she sings 2 songs! & dances!
& Cary Elwes is beautifully cartoon evil, but he'll always be my farm boy...
It's hot and it's monotonous. I want my glasses.
robyn525600
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Anne Hathaway in Ella Enchanted#1
Posted: 4/14/04 at 10:12pm
I saw it today. I thought it was cute too.
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away."
StraightToHeaven
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: re: Anne Hathaway in Ella Enchanted#2
Posted: 4/14/04 at 10:19pm
I loved that book! Maybe I'll catch the movie. My old camp counsler went to middle school with Anne Hathaway...not that that matters.
TheaterBaby Profile PhotoTheaterBaby Profile Photo
TheaterBaby
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I took my 10 year old neighbor to the movies on Saturday afternoon and we opted for "The Prince and Me" over "Ella Enchanted."
I'm thinking Ella might have been a better choice. "The Prince and Me" was not very good.

I'll say it again (because I can) re: re: re: Anne Hathaway in Ella Enchanted BRING ANNE HATHAWAY TO BROADWAY!
"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~
Princess MimiChica Profile PhotoPrincess MimiChica Profile Photo
Princess MimiChica
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Anne can sing!?! cool!!! I was gonna avoid Ella, but, it does sound better thasn the Prince and Me...and I don't like Julia Styles.
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
They've exhumed Shakespeare's wife's body to make movies!?
TheaterBaby Profile PhotoTheaterBaby Profile Photo
TheaterBaby
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Awww I like Julia Styles. I just think this particualr movie was bad.

I cannot wait for Princess Diaries 2. Yay for Julie Andrews singing again! re: re: re: re: re: re: Anne Hathaway in Ella Enchanted
And Shrek 2, and Meet the Fockers.

Damn it! I'm falling victim to a sequel frenzy.
"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~
jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
sorry--I had to walk out of Ella. It was dreadfully bad.
LadyGuenevere
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Hated it. I read the book years before, and loved it. I expected the movie to take advantage of the wonderful story they had in front of them.

Wroooong.
emonkeygirl
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
As stated before, I liked the book better, but I understand why they felt they had to edit the book to make it more accessible & understandable for more ages. It is much better in a film to not use as much exposition as it would have taken to show Ella & Char's original back story. & film also tends to shrink from doing too much in multiple languages, which the book uses. Basically I felt that the movie needed to be taken on its own and not as a reflection of the book. At least this might get even more kids wanting to read the book. Especially because Gail Carson Levine is one of the nicest people...I don't think she's ever run down the street to avoid autograph seekers...heehee!
LadyGuenevere
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Well, of course.

They can steal the title, characters, etc. and give little twists to the plot all they want!

But did they really have to change the fact that Ella Enchanted was a Cinderella story? I mean, they screwed up the entire thing.
emonkeygirl
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
It's not supposed to be completely the Cinderella story, just have hints of it. This is not the only Cinderella, Ms. Levine wrote, & in fact is less connected to the original story than her other book, "The Wish".
The fun thing about the story is that it isn't the expected rehashing of plot.
& just another note, books are much, much better than their movie counterparts 99.99% of the time.
jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
But, I never read the book. I'm talking about terrible direction and some sour performances. Plus, the design was just terrible--if they are going to play with meshing the period with modern day, they should have gone more all out. Plus, the construction on the costumes was very college or Renn Fair.
Chrysanthemum62001 Profile PhotoChrysanthemum62001 Profile Photo
Chrysanthemum62001
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I love love love Anne Hathaway! I think this movie was really cute, and it served as a great introduction for people to see her as a musician as well. I read somewhere that her dream is to do a broadway show and I think she should go for it. On that note, Millie is one of my favorite shows and I couldn't imagine seeing anyone in that role other than Sutton. But something in me makes me think Anne Hathaway would be a fantastic Millie. She just has that quality.
"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL