Page: 1

Marilyn Monroe's Singing Voice

MadAboutTheBoy Profile PhotoMadAboutTheBoy Profile Photo
MadAboutTheBoy
Stand-by
Stand-by
Marilyn Monroe's Singing Voice#1
Posted: 10/9/19 at 1:34pm

I heard the song "Bye Bye Baby" from the musical "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes" last night on Sirius FM Broadway, and it struck me what a beautiful singing voice Marilyn had. She sang in that very stylized, affected 50s Hollywood style, but she had a beautiful vibrato and trill to her singing.

People seem always to debate the virtues (or lack thereof) of her acting, but people rarely comment on what a stellar singing voice she had! I happen to think she was a brilliant comedienne and had much serious acting potential, but I never hear her get the accolades for her singing. 

Am I correct in my assessment of this? For those of you in the know, was she considered a great singer during her time?

inception Profile Photoinception Profile Photo
inception
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Marilyn Monroe's Singing Voice#2
Posted: 10/9/19 at 2:47pm
I think she was more looked at as a sexy actress, and her other talents weren't taken seriously.
She actuslly sang most of her songs, thise the high notes in "Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend " were dubbed.
Check out River of No Return where she singsxa few more songs even though it is more of an adventure film.
inception Profile Photoinception Profile Photo
inception
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Marilyn Monroe's Singing Voice#3
Posted: 10/9/19 at 2:53pm

There's a good interview from TCM done in the 90's with Jane Russel & Robert Mitchum, who both worked with & were friends with MM. Russel talks about how she had to take her under her wing & boost MM's confidence so she would even leave her trailer on set for Gentlemen.
The interview is on the DVD for the film Macao with Mitchum & Russel, if you can find it, though maybe somebody has put it on youtube?

Updated On: 10/9/19 at 02:53 PM