Page: 3

A CHRISTMAS CAROL - Preview Thread

Hope Lombardo
Swing
Swing
A CHRISTMAS CAROL - Preview Thread#51
Posted: 11/20/19 at 11:06am

I sort of dragged myself to this show because a friend's adult son is in it...and I felt like I had to, ya know? I hadn't seen the play since high school and I know I didn't like it then so I assumed that I'd feel the same now...but WoW, was I wrong!  First, as others have noted, the staging is wonderful...the actors very strong (Campbell Scott, Brandon Gill, Alex Nee, and Andrea Martin stood out to me but the whole ensemble is quite good) and -- this is on me -- the story is actually quite good!  I must have been a lost soul in high school because it's a story of redemption and second chances...and who doesn't need that. 

SouthernCakes
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
A CHRISTMAS CAROL - Preview Thread#52
Posted: 11/20/19 at 11:08am
The cast mingles during the preshow & gives out snacks! So get there early and get some cookies from LaChanze!
JSquared2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A CHRISTMAS CAROL - Preview Thread#53
Posted: 11/20/19 at 11:21am

I saw this last night and what a wonderful, unexpected surprise!  Matthew Warchus' direction is brilliant, and I hope that the show is remembered during awards season.  Anyone who sees this and walks out unhappy is simply dead inside!

James2 Profile PhotoJames2 Profile Photo
James2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A CHRISTMAS CAROL - Preview Thread#54
Posted: 11/20/19 at 12:26pm

I'd been looking forward to this play for weeks, and after seeing it last night I am of two minds about it. As I expected, Matthew Warchus and his Matilda/Groundhog Day design team have created a striking physical and environmental production. What I did not expect were the story deviations Jack Thorne's script has taken. I did find some of them interesting, but I think I'd have to see the play again with the changes already in mind to fully evaluate the play. To others who have seen it, what do you think of changes like these:

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

-Scrooge stayed defiant to the ghosts longer, which made me think his eventual change felt more sudden. (Act One ends with Scrooge yelling into the void, "I am a great man," perhaps in both defiance and delusion.)

-It is now possible for Scrooge to interact with the people in his visions

-Belle's character is expanded, the circumstances of her and Scrooge's split are altered (such that as the Christmas Past section ended I felt it was too sudden and left too much out), and she is one of the people Scrooge visits after his reformation

-The Christmas Future section is vastly different. Though Scrooge initially sees Dickens's phantom, the ghost turns out to be his sister Fan. The vision is largely reduced to Scrooge's death (Tiny Tim's death is moved to the end of the Christmas Present section), and his coffin is visited by Bob, Fred, and Belle. I suppose this is meant to carry on the theme from the Christmas Present section that people do wish well of Scrooge despite his miserly nature.

My avatar = A screencap from Avatar, arguably the greatest animated show of all
RippedMan Profile PhotoRippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A CHRISTMAS CAROL - Preview Thread#55
Posted: 11/20/19 at 12:32pm

I do wish they had done this without an intermission as the act break didn't totally work for me. 

h6p8gv
Stand-by
Stand-by
A CHRISTMAS CAROL - Preview Thread#56
Posted: 11/20/19 at 9:08pm

What did they do for the ghost? Did they fly

Char8
Swing
Swing
A CHRISTMAS CAROL - Preview Thread#57
Posted: 11/22/19 at 10:20am

Has anyone tried for Rush tickets?   For Saturday's, they open at 10am, anyone know what time people line up?   Thanks!!!!

UPDATE from Saturday 11/23/19, 8PM show - my family and I lined up for Rush tickets on Saturday, around 9:25AM.   We were 3rd in line.  We are a family of 5 so we knew we could only buy 2 ticket per person.  Our plan was to buy 2, then 2 and 1.   We never did Rush tickets ever before and thought about just going to TKTS.   But we are SO GLAD we did the Rush tickets.   We got 5 tickets in the Orchestra for 40.00 each.  The seats were amazing!   Our kids sat two rows in front us, three of them.   Then my husband and I sat 2 rows right behind them.   We had center aisle seats too which we loved!   So worth it.  Now keep in mind, the holiday season is just beginning so I imagine after Thanksgiving, this might be a bit harder to get tickets like we did, but we were so blessed and lucky!   The show was awesome and I recommend it!!!!   Happy Holidays to all!  

Updated On: 11/24/19 at 10:20 AM
thinton
Understudy
Understudy
A CHRISTMAS CAROL - Preview Thread#58
Posted: 12/1/19 at 12:12pm

Has anyone seen A Christmas Carol from the balcony?  I know its steep, but I'm willing to brave it for the prices, especially in such a small house.  My big worry is that I won't be able to see what's happening on the thrust.  Can anyone share if the view of the thrust is obstructed from the balcony?  Which seats there would be ideal?  

Wick3 Profile PhotoWick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A CHRISTMAS CAROL - Preview Thread#59
Posted: 12/1/19 at 2:28pm
Balcony is fine! I don’t want to give spoilers but there are a few points during the play when a few actors are up there.
UConn
Swing
Swing
A CHRISTMAS CAROL - Preview Thread#60
Posted: 12/2/19 at 4:23pm

Do you think telecharge discount offers will be available for the remaining performances ?  I was looking to go towards end of December .

Page: 3