Printer Friendly - re: Bitter Queens

Bitter Queens
Posted by Horsey 2003-11-02 02:00:41

After reading the posts on this website over the past week, I'm wondering if a more appropriate name for BroadwayWorld.com might be BitterQueens.com? Just a thought.

re: Bitter Queens
Posted by sharon1 2003-11-02 12:48:12

Me thinx your saddle is cinched to tight

re: re: Bitter Queens
Posted by Sally 2003-11-02 12:56:29

--and hast a burr under his/her blanket?

Posted by Albin 2003-11-02 13:00:16

Posted by Dollypop 2003-11-02 16:31:37

Oh, Albin! That was rather harsh, wasn't it? Especially since you've named your website NoAccountingForTaste.com

I wonder if the Fab Five do make-overs for queers?

re: re: re: Bitter Queens
Posted by DofB5 2003-11-02 16:58:51

I took a little break and haven't been paying as close attention to the board as I used to. What I gather is that shrill season has started and it's like Tally ho! The thrill of the hunt. The baying of the hounds. The excitement of the kill. Yawn.

No new person to the board is safe┬ľat least until they make Featured Actor status at least. God forbid they say they LIKE a show. That's a dead give away that your a shrill.

This just sounds like getting off on the wrong foot and in case no one said it, Welcome to the board, Horsey.

Gotta run, I've got some chickens to pluck and some tar to boil--you never know when a shrill is gonna show up. I do so hate to be caught unprepared.

D

Posted by Albin 2003-11-02 17:06:48

re: re: re: re: Bitter Queens
Posted by Starlight 2003-11-02 18:11:42

Except not EVERYONE on this board is either a)bitter or b)a queen. If the name changed quite a few of us would be having some serious identity issues...

re: re: re: re: re: Bitter Queens
Posted by Al Dente 2003-11-02 19:01:11

First of all DOF, it "SHILL" not Sh(R)ill. Other than that, Horsey, I think you've got this board confused with "All that Chat". That's the actual bitter queen/has-been/never where's/know it all/we have enough power to close a show in previews, board.

re: re: re: re: re: re: Bitter Queens
Posted by DofB5 2003-11-02 19:16:25

I don't know about that, Al. I think shrill makes more sense than shill. Who came up with that word anyway?

D

Shills
Posted by Sunfish 2003-11-02 19:27:42

"Shill" is a word that has been around for a very long time, at least from Vaudeville days. They were also used by circus and travelling shows. So whoever "came up with it" is long gone.

In those days, it was a sort of con....an associate of the performer or show would pretend absolute unfamilairity with the show, but over-react with enthusiasm to get others to pay their money and go in. Think of street performers, or the free bits that vaudeville or circus performers would offer outside the tent to get you to go in....the shill would be there making it seem like it was the funniest or most amazing thing s/he'd ever seen.

Although it is entirely possible that some producation assistants are sent to the internet message boards to talk up a show, the accusation of "shill" is much broader on these boards. A fan of a particular performer (note I said fan, not friend) may really like a show that performer is in, and say so, and is then accused of being a shill, even though s/he has no relation to the show at all. Ultimately the accusation just stops discussion of the show. A devoted fan may not be the most objective, but is not a shill.

re: Shills
Posted by DofB5 2003-11-02 19:50:51

Thanks for explanation, Sunfish.

D

Sunfish post = required reading
Posted by Auggie27 2003-11-02 20:03:09

Can't tell you how much I appreciate this statement: "ultimately, the accusation stops the discussion..." I've seen wildly interesting, heated debates turn into semi-personal attacks the minute somebody's told he/she is too enthusiastic. The two extremes -- the impassioned con vs. the impassioned pro -- often creates the livliest talk, since everybody in the middle weighs in. And sometimes, when a gushy "Shill" waxes poetic about something, it sometimes makes you want to rethink your own reaction. Just my POV.

re: Sunfish post = required reading
Posted by DofB5 2003-11-02 20:11:45

Well, I'm afraid I mostly accept people at face value. If they are new to the board I'd rather say hello then start a witch hunt after them. Everyone has a favorite show/actor/actress and I think we all tend to gush a bit about them. Isn't that what the boards are for?

D

re: re: Sunfish post = required reading
Posted by alterego 2003-11-02 20:41:17

Bitter Queens? Is there any other kind?

re: re: re: Sunfish post = required reading
Posted by MasterLcZ 2003-11-02 21:03:43

"Pushy Queen" is another variation I'm familiar with as is "social-climbing queen" and "evil queen".

Somehow the phrase "Gracious Queen" or "noble Queen" doe not get used often enough, unless one is a female monarch.

Speaking of those, some years ago during the anniversary of Elisabeth II's asencion to the throne, a very popular souvenir T-shirt was made (but was withdrawn rather suddenly, as it seemed to be only worn by gay men). It featured a portrait of Her Majesty with the phrase "40 YEARS A QUEEN". When I couldn't find one ANYWHERE for sale, I was a very bitter queen indeed!

re: re: re: re: Sunfish post = required reading
Posted by alterego 2003-11-02 21:07:28

Well said MasterLcz! I'd forgotten all those other variations!

re: re: re: re: re: Sunfish post = required reading
Posted by sheekala 2003-11-03 07:31:08

If I can't be a bitter queen in here where in the name of Nathan Lane can I? Ya know something HORSEY, as long as they keep putting "craptaculars" on Broadway, I'll be both bitter and vocal about them. And while I might work in the theater I don't blindly worship it, when a turkey like TABLOW comes along I'll be happy to shoot a few harpoons into it's bloated creative carcas.

Posted by LouW95 2003-11-03 08:13:00

Bravo Horsey! I think there are five or six bitter people of all orientations on this site who are on-going negative attack artists. Their replies say it all. They simply have too much time on their hands. Most here have something to say, block the name callers.

Posted by sheekala 2003-11-03 08:24:22

Lou make up your mind, are we "bitter queens" or "on-going negative attack artists"? Or are we both?!

Posted by FindingNamo 2003-11-03 21:20:44

And can Negative Attack Artists apply for NEA grants?

Posted by sheekala 2003-11-04 08:34:07

Next up the On-Going Negative Attack Artist Players in their smash Off-Broadway hit, "BITTER QUEENS"..the feel good hit of Chelsea!

Posted by FindingNamo 2003-11-04 08:43:30

Better to be a bitter queen than a quitter bean!

Posted by sheekala 2003-11-04 08:51:13

OGNAA has become my stage name!

re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Bitter Queens
Posted by FindingNamo 2003-11-04 11:06:12

It's a good one! "Ognaa Sheekala!" VERY exotic former Soviet Union. And a song, too:

"Ognaa Sheekala, Ognaa Sheekala, Ognaa Sheekala,

Ve'nismekha

U'ru akhim b'lev same'akh..."

re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Bitter Queens
Posted by robbiej 2003-11-04 11:17:04

I prefer not to consider myself a bitter queen.

I prefer 'digruntled dutchess'.

re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Bitter Queens
Posted by FindingNamo 2003-11-04 11:19:14

Awesome amazing aliteration!

re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Bitter Queens
Posted by robbiej 2003-11-04 11:20:53

Why thank you, my Naughty Namo.

Aliteration is my specialty.

How about 'pithy princess'?

re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Bitter Queens
Posted by sheekala 2003-11-04 11:21:01

"bitter" is better than "screaming", but I like to think of my self as "generous older bro queen"..or Daddy to you seany:)!

re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Bitter Queens
Posted by FindingNamo 2003-11-04 11:22:13

Is "Broqueen" that stuff Jerry Lewis puts in his hair?

re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Bitter Queens
Posted by sheekala 2003-11-04 11:24:54

"Broqueen" Namo,I love you. And it's a love only a Broquee can give you.

re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Bitter Queens
Posted by FindingNamo 2003-11-04 11:29:33

Wellll, I like it greasy so you'll get no complaints from me.

Bitter Queens
Posted by BoxOfficeJon 2003-11-04 11:33:48

Ummm. Excuse me. I am NO Queem!!!

My mother is not dead yet, so I am still a Princess.

Posted by Hank 2003-11-04 12:41:11

I think Horsey makes a good point. Some of you guys spend way too much time on this board and never have anything interesting to say except to put down fans and to chat amongst yourselves.

Posted by BoxOfficeJon 2003-11-04 12:47:03

...and that would be whom HANK....
...and are the authority of bitterness...
...and I do not I do not I do not...
WAAA!

Posted by sheekala 2003-11-04 13:10:49

So there's 24 hours in a day, if we spend 2-3hrs on and off a day, chatting about something we all have given our lives to in one way or another AND being able to do it with a variety of interesting people to boot, what's so wrong! And if the script gets a bit "rough" and we "chat amongst ourselves"(which is the whole idea on a message board)then maybe you should move along darling...I hear the Up With People website is a blast!

Posted by Dollypop 2003-11-04 13:29:50

Is a "bitter queen" is someone who has standards and who knows what good theater is, then count me in!

It seems that we homosexuals see more theater than the average heterosexual, and as a result, know what goes into making a show good. We also know what we like and dislike.

I'm tired of inferior works being presented on Broadway and passed off as "art". Sorry, but "art" they ain't.

There was a time when a show stood on its own merits--and (perhaps) a good review in the New York Times. However, we live in an era of hype. Where the news media picks up a soundbite and within seconds the whole world knows that Rosie threw a hissy fit and that Raul went home to take a bath. All of this is publicity. Negative publicity, but still PUBLICITY. People who have no interest in the theater scene know about a show called TABOO and that Rosie is involved with it in some manner. The same can't be true of NEVER GONNA DANCE, which may be an honest and more entertaining work all the way around.

I see through the hype. I see the shows I want to see and see them trhough eyes that have viewed over 3,000 Broadway productions since the 60's. I've seen really good productions and some that smelled like flounders n the August heat. However, I made my mind up for myself and wasn't taken in by grandiose special effects or clever marketing campaigns.

If this makes me a "bitter queen", then: "So let it be written; so let it be done!"

Posted by orion59 2003-11-04 13:37:32

<>

I have nothing to say and too much time in which to say it. The only reason I log in here, like everyone else, is beacuse someone is twisting my arm to do. I'm being forced to read this banal nonsense.
BTW, for all those claiming that we spend too much time here not saying anything, where are all your intellectually stimulating pearls of wisdom? As I go through threads and posts, I'm not seeing any extrodinary contributions under certain names.

I also prefer Bitchy Queen to Bitter Queen.

Now, can the rest of the world please conform to my likes and dislikes and speak only about those subjects that interest me.

Posted by Hank 2003-11-04 14:25:51

Dollypop, it's good to hear an opinion from you. I am very much looking forward to seeing Never Gonna Dance, and at first, I was I was looking forward to Taboo, but was put off by the hype and all, but I might give it a chance sometime later.

Also, I just wanted to state that I was reluctant to respond to this thread at first, because I just don't want to get into a debate about sexual orientation, and the first post sort of implied that. But for the past few days I was thinking about it and there is a difference between message boards and chat rooms.

Posted by sheekala 2003-11-04 14:29:54

HANK! you are 100% right, message boards are to be used to swipe postive "quotes" off of regarding ill- fated Broadway shows. Chat Rooms are for bitter queens.

Posted by LouW95 2003-11-05 07:44:09

Sheekala, read my posting carefully. I never mentioned the term bitter queen. I do not find humor in that language. My posting was a reply to someone who did use the term. You seem to do this often, maybe a nerve was hit.

Posted by sheekala 2003-11-05 07:56:34

No worries Lou, I have you to thank for "on-going negative attack artists", which I love. And while I may be passionate regarding my dislikes, I am also always estatic concerning my positive theater adventures.It's just that at present time the current roster of new Broadway shows leave me wanting.

Posted by dollypoop 2003-11-05 16:38:20

Time for me to take my sunday clothes out of the mothballs and ridicule anyone who does not share my views on EVERYTHING. Nothing today is any good and only those of us who can sing GOODTIME CHARLEY and know who the singer who errs in PUT 'EM BACK are qualified to have opinions.

I am the second coming of Al Dente. Bitter, table for two, please

re: re: re: re: re: re: re: bitter queens
Posted by papalovesmambo 2003-11-05 16:47:13

now wait just a dadgum minute here, queen means...gasp...homosexual??? oh man, my wife is totally gonna freak out about this...and the boy...queenie. man that's gonna be years of therapy. oh had i only found this board sooner. thank you, you bitter queens of squishy themes.

re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: bitter queens
Posted by robbiej 2003-11-05 17:04:34

What's upsetting to me is I CAN sing Goodtime Charley.

I really am a queen, aren't I?

WHY CAN'T WE ALL BE NICE???

re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: bitter queens
Posted by magruder 2003-11-05 17:15:08

And I played in a pit orchestra for Li'l Abner! "Put 'Em Back" is in the rather scary key of C flat. I remember being slightly stunned and dazed working my way through it, because you don't see C flat every day of the week.

re: Sunfish post = required reading
Posted by Sunfish 2003-11-05 17:37:12

Wow, Auggie, I'm flattered. To me, that is what so frustrating about the "shill" label, that it stops conversation about the show and transfers it to a poster. How does one "prove" one is not a shill? Yet the label is (usually) automatically believed.

Obviously, I've been there, and it's a touchy subject for me.

re: re: Sunfish post = required reading
Posted by sheekala 2003-11-06 09:54:40

I think the "shill" label is stamped on those posters who suddenly appear and posts raves and then vanish after a day or three.

re: re: re: Sunfish post = required reading
Posted by robbiej 2003-11-06 11:13:29

Or post only on one show and not a variety of topics.

Dead give-away.w34

re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: bitter queens
Posted by ViciousCircle 2003-11-06 16:34:35

I got the line "They was long, lean and lanky/But they loved hanky panky" in my production of Li'l Abner. I think that remains the only song I've sung in C flat.

Posted by ViciousCircle 2003-11-06 16:34:41

I got the line "They was long, lean and lanky/But they loved hanky panky" in my production of Li'l Abner. I think that remains the only song I've sung in C flat.

Posted by ViciousCircle 2003-11-06 16:34:53

And for some reason I got a triple post out of that.... Does that make me a triple threat?