Printer Friendly - re: What to bring to college?

What to bring to college?
Posted by CapnHook 2004-06-18 10:35:46

G'day.

I move in mid-August. Majoring in Theatre and Theatre education.

I know what basics I'll need, etc. But for entertainment, what to bring?

Any DVDs I should definitely have? All CDs are stored on my computer.

What about posters? I want to bring my URINETOWN poster.

What kinds of things did everyone else do/bring?

re: What to bring to college?
Posted by ~FloweryFriend~ 2004-06-18 10:40:13

The DVDs that I personally feel to be essential for college are:
  • Animal House
  • The American Pie trilogy
  • Family Guy
  • Old School
  • Boondock Saints

But hey, that's just me.

And buy a bunch of those hook things that you can stick to walls.
They're bloody useful.

Posted by luvtheEmcee 2004-06-18 10:40:43

Look on your school's housing website. They probably have a list of what to bring, what you probably shouldn't bring and what you're NOT ALLOWED to bring. I'm not sure what I'm going to do because my school only allows you to put things on your walls using push pins. I have a bunch of Broadway posters framed on hooks, and I wouldn't be able to use those. It makes me sad to leave them home, but I'm going to make a big collage out of all my flyers and stage door photos this summer.

Posted by CapnHook 2004-06-18 10:58:13

Haha, love Family Guy.

My list thus far, as far as DVDs go:

-Pirates of the Caribbean
-Moulin Rouge
-Broadway's Lost Treasures
-Peter Pan (Cathy Rigby)

Posted by luvtheEmcee 2004-06-18 10:59:13

Sounds like my collection. Oh yes, and School of Rock and Eloise at the Plaza, lol. I'm also taking my videos of things I've taped... you know, the Tonys and other random stuff.

Posted by ckeaton 2004-06-18 11:02:30

It's essential to have a mini-fridge of some sort. Plenty of ambient lighting... desk lamps, floor lamps, hell... bring sconces if you can. Anything to cut down on the crap lighting that you usually find in dorms.

On a side note:

~ff~,
I am swiftly coming to the conclusion that you are the perfect woman.
*le sigh*

Posted by ~FloweryFriend~ 2004-06-18 11:16:43

HOW DID I FORGET MOULIN ROUGE?!?!
Well, it's good that you remembered.
I also recommend buying a cheap, low to the ground shelf.
A shoe rack sort of thing.
You can put it under the bed or in the closet, and it always ends up being useful at the darnedest of times.

And don't forget a dry erase board and markers.
"I want to come back to my room and find a message in dry erase pen on the door" - Princeton

~ck~
It's not that I'm the perfect woman.
It's that I'm just one of the guys.
Otherwise, I would've had more luck by now.
*le sigh*

Posted by luvtheEmcee 2004-06-18 11:17:39

haha, on my college's list of things NOT to bring is a dry-erase board. They give you one!

Posted by ViciousCircle 2004-06-18 11:20:25

I say bring Eddie Varley. Worked for me.

Posted by Pinky 2004-06-18 11:25:44

I go to Penn State & if you have a dorm like I did....bring cheap plastic flip flops (like from Old Navy) casue you may have to use the community shower....& they are gross!!!

As far as DVDs, I love watching concerts...I have John Mayer & Michael Buble. Also bring some comedian DVDs cause you'll need a good laugh when you're up till 4 am writing a paper. I have Eddie Izzard (try Dress to Kill) & anything from Margaret Cho. She's the best!!!

Good Luck!!!!

Posted by ~FloweryFriend~ 2004-06-18 11:25:46

That's SWEET luvtheEmcee!
My school doesn't.
I also recommend bringing lots of pillows.
They make great chairs.
Packing crates make good tables.

And if you have a dishwasher, steal the container thing that the utensils go in to use as a shower basket.
Worked for me.
I also took out the drawers and now use them for under the bed CD and book storage.
Somehow, my parents didn't care.
I think it might be because the dishwasher was broken and they were getting a new one anyway, but I didn't ask questions.

Posted by mominator 2004-06-18 15:02:30

I second the flip flops for the showers (ewwww!) You may even want a second pair.
B
Who doesn't wish to go back to college

Posted by judy_in_disguise 2004-06-18 16:30:47

HAHAHAHAHA I didn't think anyone had ever seen Eloise at the Plaza!!!
The all - time perfect college movie hehe :)
I'm a dancer in the final ballroom scene. Hehe.

Posted by luvtheEmcee 2004-06-18 16:31:58

I actually saw it in the first place because I had heard Gavin Creel was in it... but what an adorable movie! It's so good for those really crappy days when you just want something happy to make you feel better. That's so cool that you're in it!

Posted by Karma76 2004-06-18 16:40:28

Waiting for Guffman! It was my college video staple. Random people watched it constantly and loved it.

Your too young but I also (and popular faves for rainy afternoons)I just had them and people were so amazed i did.

Pete's Dragon
Secret of Nihm
Dark Crystal
Last Unicorn

Posted by judy_in_disguise 2004-06-18 17:15:21

The kid who plays Eloise is the child from hell.
Everyone on the set kept wanting to trip her, or something. Even the directors.
Julie Andrews is my idol hehe.

Posted by son_of_a_gunn_25 2004-06-18 22:12:47

If you want furniture that is easy to store, bring a couple canvas folding chairs. You can use them and nce you are done they store nicely under your bed.

re: what to bring to college?
Posted by papalovesmambo 2004-06-18 22:16:03

drugs, drugs, drugs

oh and booze.

and condoms.

Posted by newyorkuniq 2004-06-18 22:18:16

Make sure you buy or bring a egg crate matress cusion or matress pad. Usually dorm matresses are uncomfortable. Mini fridges are great as are microwaves if they allow them. Shower flip flops, and of course a small tv, a computer and phone since you get all of the sevices free in your room.

Posted by nystateomind04 2004-06-18 22:20:14

add american beauty to the dvd collection, just to add a touch of art to the gross-out comedy (not that a.b. isn't hillarious too!)

i move in early september and i can't wait! oh yes, lets see... something to put your laundry in is always good. my friend gave me a cool hamper that folds up so it doesnt talk up too much space.

Posted by EponineThenardier 2004-06-18 22:48:56

I wanna bring J-Tart but I won't have room in the car (dream on)...

I'm probably gonna get some new posters, I wish they sold full sized Broadway posters. Grrr

Posted by ~FloweryFriend~ 2004-06-18 22:49:58

And rolls of quarters for the laundry are always very helpful.

Posted by luvtheEmcee 2004-06-18 22:52:13

No, no Eponine... J Tags is coming with *me* - lol

I have so much shopping to do... this is really exciting though.

Posted by secret-soul 2004-06-19 10:47:35

OOh, what school are you going to? My laundry is FREE. I LOVE that. We can only use sticky tack (not blue) and thumbtacks on our walls...I made LOTS of holes in the wall this past year. Flip flops for the shower are good whether you have one in your room or have to use the community one...they all gunk up. Oh, and you should check out how high off the ground the beds are: like, some of the ones in my dorm are really high (like, 3 feet off the ground) and some are just one and a half feet off the ground...anyway, then you could get those milk crates or baskets for under the bed. Also, LOTS of lamps/lighting. My school doesn't allow for hallogens (but we bring them anyway) :)

Posted by son_of_a_gunn_25 2004-06-19 13:23:42

I really found those Command removable hooks to be useful. (The wall hooks where you pull down on the tab on the adhesive and they come right off the wall)They also have a removable type of adhesive for hanging posters now. For your framed posters just adhere the command tab to the wall. Depending on what kind of hook, you can either just leave the top part of the command hook off and hang it in the little catch that the top part sits in, or you could make a little wire catch and tie it onto the tab. The command tabs are also nice because the give you a place to hang your coat and jackey if you don't have anything else.

Posted by sabrelady 2004-06-19 15:00:45

Food. Every kind of sealed storable kind plus resealable containers for them. Munchies know no timetables nor do hungry roomates. Some kinda brewable system for coffee or @ least a big thermous for late night papers.

Posted by Broadway Matt 2004-06-21 04:17:42

speaking as a musical nerd with a thing for merchandise, I suggest to avoid bringing excessive things like posters and signed playbills until you move out of the dorms into a place you plan on staying for more than a year. they may add to the ambience, but they won't be as good a friend to you as your Broadway CD's and your favorite DVD's. other important items are a fake ID and a costco/sam's club card.

Posted by secret-soul 2004-06-21 09:57:18

or a BJs card....it all depends on where you live. I agree w/ the brewable system idea and munchies containers. Also, a roll of gaff tape or duct tape comes in REAL handy: because of where my desk was this year, I had to run my ethernet wire in line w/ the door so I had to constantly re-tape it down. Another thing: a little baby size ironing board, because you never know when you'll need one, and you can iron on your bed. Also, don't buy a little house plant (like herbs or wheat grass) until you know how much you'll be able to care for it. Our first wheat grass plant...well,,, we didn't water it...and we neglected it so much that it LIVED...but if you watered it, it would begin to wither. Oh, and somehow my cilantro got aphids. hmmm...
Oh, and post-its.

Posted by say what? 2004-06-21 11:19:08

Always bring flip-flops, going bare foot to the showers will skeeve you and your dorm mates out.

Posted by bwaylyric 2004-06-21 11:43:11

Bring "Fun Tack" to hang posters - works well in dorms with cinderblock walls.

Also bring a mattress cover to use under your sheets. You don't even want to know the history of your dorm mattress!

Posted by CapnHook 2004-06-21 11:57:24

Great tips, everyone.

What about theatre books? Songbooks? So far, I have:

Books:
Making It On Broadway
Urinetown script

Songbooks:
The Producers
Hairspray
Peter Pan
Seussical
Wicked
Aida
Mamma Mia!
42nd Street
Anastasia
Annie

Posted by ~FloweryFriend~ 2004-06-21 17:33:52

secret-soul, you're comment about the duct tape and gaff tape gave me a brilliant idea...

GLOW TAPE!!!

Posted by secret-soul 2004-06-21 18:31:24

YEA! glow tape is also great. A few friends of mine had things like black lights and traffic lights and disco ball thingys in their rooms--it's great.