Printer Friendly - bfa vs. ba??

bfa vs. ba??
Posted by sequin pillow 2018-05-24 13:57:23

I just graduated high school, and I have been accepted to a few different colleges. I need some advice.

I would love to do theatre as a career one day. I have been accepted into St. Mary's College of MD, and Sweet Briar College. I am waiting to hear back from Shenandoah University but I think I might get in. My grades are really good. (I never auditioned for Shenandoah University because I applied kinda late, so if I end up going there, I'll probably go as an undecided major and audition for the Musical Theatre B.F.A program for Fall 2019.)

So anyway, do you think BFA or BA really matters? I don't know what choice to make. I might just end up going to a local community college for a year. Does my decision of going for a BFA or BA change how far I can advance in my career?

bfa vs. ba??
Posted by MarioSonic24601 2018-06-03 23:16:38

This is what I've learned from my personal experience (I am a college student myself and in no ways a professional):

BA vs. BFA, there's really no difference for which one you receive in terms of career success. The only difference is that BFA is more intense and involves stricter training, while the BA is more flexible when it comes to training options.

But that's all I know. Again, I'm no professional. But I hope this helps.

bfa vs. ba??
Posted by Sage5 2018-07-22 17:59:56

i was never interested in going that route but in hs i had a friend who was and based on her experience the bfa is harder to get into than the ba and therefore the bfa would look better on a resume & sound more prestigious than a ba

bfa vs. ba??
Posted by John Adams 2018-07-25 02:36:59

My opinion:

The degree you earn isn't as impressive as the school you attended, and who you studied with. I say that because both are examples of networking. Both are tangible connections that can trigger specific familiarity. In other words, "it's not what you know, but who you know".

Ultimately, your talent will be what gets you hired. I have a B.A. in Elementary Education, but I worked my way through college doing summer stock and theme park shows. My degree didn't open up any audition slots for me (none, in fact), but I did work with some really fine actors, directors and musical directors who opened other doors for me. Also, having their names on my resume opened up conversations during auditions.

bfa vs. ba??
Posted by tay.esposito 2018-11-15 15:31:15

Little bit late to the party but I'm a freshman in SUNY Cortland's BA Musical Theatre Program. I went to a performing arts high school and everyone around me was losing hair over their Carnegie and UMich Prescreens, but the whole time I knew I wanted a more individualized and unique program for myself that would suit my needs. So I looked for hidden gems. I found Cortland on OnStageBlog's article about the top 10 underrated Musical Theater Programs in the country and auditioned for school's similar. Let me just say I am so happy with my decision. At an audition, one of the auditors said to us, "Try not to get distracted by the F between the B and the A. Or lack thereof." And that really stuck with me. You can have just as good of an education at another school that is less expensive and more of what you want and need. It's literally about what you want for yourself, and where you think you'd be the happiest and most successful. I don't know where you are now, but for anyone who may read this in the future, don't get distracted by the F. Quality programs are out there, you just gotta figure out what's best for you!!

bfa vs. ba??
Posted by yankeefan7 2019-01-20 14:18:16

My daughter has a BFA (professional dancer/teacher) and she said she believes having the BFA opened more doors for teaching opportunities and she got a higher rate of pay teaching than others she knows that have a BA. As for dancing, it all comes down to your talent but it does not hurt going to a good college for your particular art. My daughter went to Florida State University and they were known for their dance program.