Broadway AM Report, 10/24/2016 - 'SUNDAY IN THE PARK' and More!
Good morning, BroadwayWorld! Because we know all our readers eat, sleep and breathe Broadway, what could be better than waking up to it?
TODAY'S BIG NEWS:
- Jake Gyllenhaal leads SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE tonight at City Center!
- The 2016 Samuel French Awards and this year's Horton Foote Prizes will honor playwrights today in NYC.
- Abingdon's starry WAR OF THE WORLDS reading hits NYU...
- A LIFE, starring David Hyde Pierce, opens this evening at Playwrights Horizons.
- And tonight's NOTHING LIKE A DAME Actors Fund benefit is set to honor Marin Mazzie!
NEWS YOU MISSED THIS WEEKEND:
- West End star Killian Donnelly is headed to KINKY BOOTS on Broadway!
- Anna Deavere Smith chatted NOTES FROM THE FIELD, we got a peek at highlights from MTC's VIETGONE, as well as shots from THE FRONT PAGE's opening curtain call (right), PLENTY's opening night at the Public & TICK, TICK...BOOM!'s official bows Off-Broadway, plus footage in rehearsal with A BRONX TALE!
- BC/EFA's GYPSY OF THE YEAR has saved its December dates.
- HAMILTON has pushed back its opening across the pond...
- Cherry Jones will make her West End debut in John Tiffany's THE GLASS MENAGERIE, while Sophie Okonedo has signed on for THE GOAT, OR WHO IS SYLVIA?
- And Carol Burnett has slated her TV return opposite Amy Poehler!
Broadway Weather Forecast: High of 61 and mostly sunny to kick off your week!
What we're listening to: Daniel and Laura Curtis's OVERTURE album, out today - check out Matthew Ford singing "Start Off Each New Day with a Smile" below!
And a Happy Birthday shout-out to Kevin Kline, who turns 69 today!
Kevin Kline will return to Broadway this coming spring in PRESENT LAUGHTER. Among his past appearances on the Great White Way are CYRANO DE BERGERAC, HENRY IV, THE PLAY WHAT I WROTE, IVANOV, ARMS AND THE MAN, THE PIRATES OF PENZANCE (his second Tony in 1981), LOOSE ENDS, ON THE TWENTIETH CENTURY (his first Tony in 1978), THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE, EDWARD II, THE ROBBER BRIDEGROOM, SCAPIN, MEASURE FOR MEASURE, THE BEGGAR'S OPERA and THE THREE SISTERS.
Among his Off-Broadway credits are KING LEAR and many other Shakespeare plays, MOTHER COURAGE AND HER CHILDREN, THE SEAGULL and more. He is a 2003 American Theatre Hall of Fame inductee and won an Oscar for his role in 1988's A FISH CALLED WANDA. Kline has also appeared on the big screen in MY OLD LADY, DE-LOVELY, IN & OUT, THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME, DAVE and more.
See you bright and early tomorrow, BroadwayWorld!