AVENUE Q Announces the Search For 'The New George Bush' Lyric Contest
With President George W. Bush set to leave office on January 20, 2009, the creators and producers of the Tony Award-winning musical AVENUE Q have announced an "Only for Now" contest to replace the lyric in the show's final number, "For Now," which astutely observes that everything in life -- including "George Bush!" -- is only for now.
The "Only for Now" contest invites participants to enter their suggestion for a new person (not necessarily a political figure), place, thing, event, fad, etc. to be considered as a substitute for the soon-to-be-outdated reference to "George Bush" in the musical's finale. The winning entry will be announced Thursday, January 15th and will be performed in AVENUE Q on Tuesday, January 20, 2009, the day Barack Obama is inaugurated as the 44th President of the United States.
AVENUE Q producer Robyn Goodman says, "We thought it would be fun to find out what people today think is as expendable as George Bush. Audiences have cheered the line since the show opened and people are curious -- what's next?"
Creator Robert Lopez adds, "I've gotten so many unsolicited ideas from friends and strangers over the years that it seems only fitting that we solicit a few more."
The "Only for Now" contest will begin on December 22, 2008 at 12 p.m. (eastern time) and entries must be in no later than January 12, 2009. Contestants can enter by visiting www.avenueq.com for entry rules and regulations. The winning entry will be selected by a panel comprised of AVENUE Q's creators Robert Lopez and Jeff Marx (music and lyrics) and Jeff Whitty (book), along with the show's producers. The winner of the "Only for Now" contest will receive a prize package including autographed program and poster from AVENUE Q, a cast recording, a copy of the Avenue Q Coffee Table book and an autographed copy of the revised script with the contest winner's lyric included.
Winner of three 2004 Tony Awards including Best Musical, AVENUE Q continues its record-breaking run on Broadway at the Golden Theatre (252 W. 45 St.) and remains a hit in its third year on national tour. With a cast comprised of people and puppets, AVENUE Q is the story of 20-somethings, fresh out of college, who move to New York with big dreams and tiny bank accounts. Entertainment Weekly calls AVENUE Q "one of the funniest shows you are ever likely to see!"
George W. Bush was just two years in office when AVENUE Q took the world by storm, opening to rave reviews when it premiered in March 2003 Off-Broadway at the Vineyard Theatre and transferred to Broadway in July 2003. AVENUE Q became an instant smash, routinely breaking box office and attendance records, doing on to win three Tony Awards for Best Book of a Musical, Best Score of a Musical and, of course, Best Musical.
Even five years ago when AVENUE Q began, theatergoers wondered what "For Now" would change to when George Bush became obsolete, at least as a lyric in a hit Broadway musical. The time for change has come.
AVENUE Q book writer Jeff Whitty notes, "The 'George Bush' line was controversial from the start. The audience response has evolved during the past six years but generally it has been explosive. It's been hard to find something quite as punchy to replace it because you could pack a lot of emotion in those two words."
AVENUE Q creator Jeff Marx states, "People have been asking us for six years what we'd change 'George Bush' to and I've always said 'we have no idea.' Now that the time has finally come, we're still searching for the best way to celebrate the end of the Bush regime."
For more information on AVENUE Q including performance schedule and ticket information please visit www.avenueq.com.
AVENUE Q ONLINE "ONLY FOR NOW" -- ("ENTER A SUGGESTION FOR A NEW PERSON, PLACE, THING, EVENT, FAD, ETC TO BE CONSIDERED AS A SUBSTITUTE FOR THE SOON-TO-BE-OUTDATED REFERENCE TO GEORGE BUSH IN AVENUE Q'S FINALE") -- OFFICIAL CONTEST RULES AND REGULATIONS
Official Rules for all legal U.S. Residents for the Enter to Win a prize package including an autographed AVENUE Q windowcard and Playbill, a cast recording, and an autographed copy of the revised script with the winner's lyric included.
The following contest is intended for play in the United States only and shall only be construed and evaluated according to U.S. Law. Do not enter this sweepstakes if you are not located in the United States. You must also be at least 18 years of age at time of entry to enter this contest.
1. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN.
2. ELIGIBILITY. All Avenue Q promotions including, but not limited to, the AVENUE Q ONLINE "ONLY FOR NOW" contest -- ("ENTER A SUGGESTION FOR A NEW PERSON, PLACE, THING, EVENT, FAD, ETC TO BE CONSIDERED AS A SUBSTITUTE FOR THE SOON-TO-BE-OUTDATED REFERENCE TO GEORGE BUSH IN AVENUE Q'S FINALE") -- is open only to legal residents of the United States, living in the United States who are at least 18 years of age. These Promotions are void in Puerto Rico. Employees, officers and directors of Avenue Q, their legal representatives, and each of their affiliates, parents, subsidiaries, advertising, promotional, fulfillment and marketing agencies, their immediate families (and those living in their same households) are not eligible to participate or claim prizes in these Promotions.
By entering these Contests, participants agree to release, discharge and hold harmless Avenue Q, their legal representatives, their affiliates, subsidiaries, agencies and their respective officers, directors, employees and agents, from any damages which may arise out of participation in these Contests, or out of the acceptance, use, misuse or possession of prizes. By participating, you agree to these Official Contest Rules and to the decisions of the judges which are final and binding in all respects. The Official Contest Rules will be posted on all contest application forms throughout the contest. Void where prohibited by law, rule or regulation. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply.
3. HOW TO ENTER ONLINE.
First, you can visit www.avenueq.com ("the Website") and complete the online registration form. Be sure to include your name and e-mail address. You must update this information as necessary to remain eligible to win. You must also opt in to become a registered member of ("the Website"), agree to co-register with joint marketing advertisers ("Advertisers") and agree to accept e-mail messages from Avenue Q and its Advertisers as a condition of such membership.
Total number of prize packages offered = 1 (one). Total approximate value of each prize package is $60.00. The winner will be e-mailed they have won and can e-mail back to us at email@example.com to redeem their prize. All prizes will be mailed via Federal Express to the address supplied by the contest winner.
4. RIGHTS OF SPONSOR. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion, to cancel, or suspend this Contest should virus, bugs or other causes beyond the control of the sponsor corrupt the administration, security or proper play of Contest. Participants entering through the Web must provide a valid e-mail address. Sponsor is not responsible for incorrect or inaccurate entry information, whether caused by Internet users or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Contest or by any technical or human error which may occur in the processing of the entries in this Contest.
5. MAIL IN ENTRIES. This contest does not allow for mailed in entries. Do not try to mail in your entry, only online entries will be accepted.
6. ODDS OF WINNING. Odds of winning a prize are dependent on the total number of eligible correct Contest entries received.
7. LIMITED TIME ONLY. Contest ends on January 12, 2009, Web entries must be received by 5:00 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,January 12, 2009. Entries which do not have valid email addresses are void. Winners will be solely determined mutual consent of the authors of Avenue Q whose decisions are final in all matters relating to this Contest.
8. WINNERS LIST. To receive a list of winners, send a self addressed stamped envelope, together with a note indicating dates of interest to:
Attn Online Contest, Avenue Q, 145 West 45th Street, 7th Floor, New York, NY 10036
9. NO SUBSTITUTION OF PRIZES. No substitution or transfer of prizes will be accommodated or permitted, other than at Avenue Q's sole discretion.
10. RELEASE. By entering, each participant agrees to release and hold harmless Avenue Q, their legal representatives, any prize providers, Advertisers and all sponsors and each of their respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, directors, officers, employees, and agents from any and all liability for any injuries, loss or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with the Promotion or any prize won. Restrictions, conditions, and limitations apply. By entering, each participant further agrees that, in the event there is any conflict or other inconsistency between the Official Contest Rules and any advertisements, promotional or marketing materials, e-mails, or announcements relevant to this Promotion, these Official Contest Rules will govern. By entering, each participant agrees to assign and transfer to Avenue Q LLC all right, title and interest, including without limitation copyright, in and to your submission, throughout the world, with the right to copy, edit, publish, promote, perform, broadcast, record and otherwise use your submission, in whole or in part, in perpetuity, in any manner or media now know or hereafter created without further permission, notice, or compensation.
11. DISQUALIFICATION. Avenue Q, and any affiliated companies, promotional and advertising agencies, Advertisers and / or prize providers, are not responsible for lost, interrupted or unavailable network server or other connections, miscommunications, failed telephone or Computer or telephone transmissions or technical failure, lost e-mail entries, jumbled, scrambled or misdirected transmissions, or other error of any kind whether human, mechanical or electronic. Persons found tampering with or abusing any aspect of this Promotion, as solely determined by the judges, will be disqualified. If disqualified for any of the above reasons, Avenue Q reserves the right to terminate player's eligibility to participate in this Promotion. In the event any portion of this Promotion is compromised by virus, bugs, non-authorized human intervention or other causes beyond the control of Avenue Q which, in the sole opinion of Avenue Q, corrupts, or impairs the administration, security, fairness or proper play of the Promotion, Avenue Q reserves the right at its sole discretion to suspend or terminate this Promotion or any part of the Promotion, or to roll all entries into the next contest period, or any combination of the above.
12. LEGAL WARNING. Any attempt by any individual, whether or not a contestant, to damage, destroy, tamper with or vandalize this website, or otherwise interfere with the operation of this Promotion, is a violation of criminal and civil law and Avenue Q will diligently pursue all remedies in this regard against any offending individual or entity to the fullest extent permissible by law.
Contest begins December 22, 2008 at 12 p.m. (eastern time)
AVENUE Q -- winner of 3 Tony Awards in 2004, including Best Musical -- is the hilarious musical about 20-somethings fresh out of college who move to New York City with big dreams and tiny bank accounts.
The musical is produced by Kevin McCollum, Robyn Goodman, Jeffrey Seller, The Vineyard Theatre and The New Group. Based on an original concept by Robert Lopez and Jeff Marx, with puppets conceived and designed by Rick Lyon, AVENUE Q has musical supervision by Stephen Oremus, choreography by Ken Roberson, scenic design by Anna Louizos, costume design by Mirena Rada, lighting design by Howell Binkley, and sound design by Acme Sound Partners.
For tickets to AVENUE Q on Broadway, call TeleCharge at 212-239-6200