Comscore

I do not think this is the right path for her

Stevie72
Stand-by
jaqs Profile Photo
jaqs
Broadway Star
Ive seen her in 2 shows since Hairspray and they were both awful (a Pole dancing play and Space Vixens) she probably dosent have tonnes of options.
Its a shame as shes a good actress.
rockyhorrorfan
Featured Actor
She also did a fringe production of You're A Good Man Charlie Brown. It's too easy to criticise West End performers for trying other avenues in their careers.
ullabelt
Stand-by
Good for her for going on there and giving it a go. I think it was pretty ill advised and she didn't come off well but props to her for putting her experience aside and going for it.

However stevie the simple reason she doesn't work more is because of her size. There are few roles she would be cast in... none in the West End currently that I can think of. Good for her for doing fringe and exploring...although it won't pay her mortgage - hence doing The voice

Updated On: 2/3/14 at 02:39 PM
Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
She is an Olivier Award winning actress and fully deserved too.
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Annie Get Your Gun*** (Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar*** Porgy and Bess**** Dessa Rose** Great Britain**** One Man, Two Guvnors**** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Dogfight** My Night With Reg*** Book of Mormon***** Richard III**** See Rock City** Guys and Dolls*** Wicked* Charlie and the Chocolate Factory*** The Apple Tree*** The Jersey Boys*** Miss Saigon***** Matilda***** A Streetcar Named Desire**** The Dreamling** The Play That Went Wrong*** The Phantom of the Opera**** Fully Committed*** Bedroom Farce**** (Salisbury Playhouse) Sweeney Todd**** King Charles III*** Here Lies Love**** The Vertical Hour**** Love Story***** Altar Boys*** Evita**** Next Fall***** Cat On A Hot Tin Roof***** (Tour: Royal Deansgate, Northampton) Memphis*** The Scottsboro Boys**** Shakespeare In Love* Neville's Island*** East Is East**** Evita**** Into The Woods*** Gypsy***** (Chichester) Billy Elliot***** Seminar*** Damn Yankees*** Teh Internet Is Serious Business***
ullabelt
Stand-by
Absolutely I agree with that but the answer to the poster question is - she did the show in the hope it would find her more work as she is too large for the majority of roles.
AnythingGoes23
Broadway Star
It's sad but they are very few roles she can play. Enormous shame as a great talent,
Stevie72
Stand-by
I think we need to change shows for her because she was really good in hairspray
ullabelt
Stand-by
I'm not sure I would say it is 'sad'. Lots of actors work very hard to stay in shape and keep working. She could lose weight.
Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Leanne is definitely a one of a kind actress, unfortunately she gets pidgeon holed into one of a kind roles.
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Annie Get Your Gun*** (Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar*** Porgy and Bess**** Dessa Rose** Great Britain**** One Man, Two Guvnors**** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Dogfight** My Night With Reg*** Book of Mormon***** Richard III**** See Rock City** Guys and Dolls*** Wicked* Charlie and the Chocolate Factory*** The Apple Tree*** The Jersey Boys*** Miss Saigon***** Matilda***** A Streetcar Named Desire**** The Dreamling** The Play That Went Wrong*** The Phantom of the Opera**** Fully Committed*** Bedroom Farce**** (Salisbury Playhouse) Sweeney Todd**** King Charles III*** Here Lies Love**** The Vertical Hour**** Love Story***** Altar Boys*** Evita**** Next Fall***** Cat On A Hot Tin Roof***** (Tour: Royal Deansgate, Northampton) Memphis*** The Scottsboro Boys**** Shakespeare In Love* Neville's Island*** East Is East**** Evita**** Into The Woods*** Gypsy***** (Chichester) Billy Elliot***** Seminar*** Damn Yankees*** Teh Internet Is Serious Business***
ullabelt
Stand-by
No more than any other actor. You enter the industry knowing that the way you look will mean a certain casting. She is in the exact same position as any other. If she wanted to then she could lose the weight.
Spotlight61
Leading Actor
She stopped working for a year or more because of having a baby.

She won an award based on her ability in that role, which required her to be that size and yes, she was good in Hairspray but the industry doesn't owe anyone a thing.

Just because she's an Olivier award winning actress in a musical, counts for nothing in other areas of the industry.

She is advised that appearing on this show might well allow her to develop as a crossover performer but on that performance, it was dreadful, she deserved not to have any judge turn round for her.

I suspect that if she remains within the industry, her time will come again but as an older MT performer.
Musicaldudepeter
Broadway Star
she's a character actress, like all heavy-set women and men, therefore they don't really come into their own and work until they're in their 40s.
rockyhorrorfan
Featured Actor
Forgot that she also appeared in Molly Wobbly's Tit Factory in Edinburgh. It was supposed to transfer to London but I think it fell through.

There's another West End performer on this Saturday's show and he gets through to the next round.
carlazoeknight Profile Photo
carlazoeknight
Swing
She came and sang at my college two weeks ago, and sang 'Miss Byrd'. Absolutely phenomenal.

Message Board

TKTS Urinetown 10 Posts
Memphis West End 11 Posts

BWW BLOGS