Parents' Guide to the West End and Environs

ggersten
Broadway Legend
Is there a website that describes plays/musicals such that a parent can determine whether to take their 12 year old? I'm not thinking about shows aimed directly at younger audience members - Charlie, Lion King - or adults - Mojo, Stephen Ward.

In particular, right now, we are interested in seeing Ghosts - and other than our child maybe being bored - how appropriate is it?
The 12 year old also wants to see The Bodyguard.
ggersten
Broadway Legend
I went alone to Ghosts and sat in the front row. Thrilling night of theatre. But, 12 year old would likely have been bored and confused. While the play is not subtle for the most part - there are certain subtleties and language that she would not understand. Heck, I had a few problems, myself! There wasn't anything real inappropriate - although I think there might have been conversations afterwards about marriages and duty and does stuff like that still happen.

The major problem I had was with the pastor - trying to decide if I didn't like the actor, the way the actor was playing the pastor, or the way the pastor is written. Still struggling with that question.

Anybody have thoughts about Fortune's Fool for a 12 year old?
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
I saw Fortune's Fool this weekend and it will shoot over the head of a average 12 year old, this sort of theatre is inappropiate for one so young, take the child to something they will enjoy, which would be a musical and this hopefully will harness a lifelong love for theatre, so when your child is older they will have a passion for theatre that might also encompass Ghosts and Fortune Fool,. Taking your child to such heavy shows so young might breed a lifetime hatred for theatre, which would be a shame.
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Annie Get Your Gun*** (Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar*** Porgy and Bess**** Dessa Rose** Great Britain**** One Man, Two Guvnors**** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Dogfight** My Night With Reg*** Book of Mormon***** Richard III**** Rock City**
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Speaking of Fortune's Fool the main actor (Iain Glen) in the show, has left the show and will not be returning, he only the show 2 weeks after it opened, which is a shame as I was Looking forward to see him, especially as the Daily Fail described this show as the best acting in the West End. I hope he doesn't get nominated for best actor.
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Annie Get Your Gun*** (Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar*** Porgy and Bess**** Dessa Rose** Great Britain**** One Man, Two Guvnors**** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Dogfight** My Night With Reg*** Book of Mormon***** Richard III**** Rock City**
ggersten
Broadway Legend
Thanks for the advice. We will skip Fortunes Fool and go for Merchants of Bollywood.

FYI,mMy 12 year old has grown up with theatre around her - so there's little danger of her "hating" it from seeing a heavy play. (although the heaviest play she's probably seen is probably Our Town with her older sister playing Mrs. Webb) She has seen most of the "family" musicals playing here already - (well, either here or in the States), Matilda, Billy Elliott, Wicked, Les Miserables, Charlie, Light Princess, Spamalot - the Royal Albert Hall Phantom - for plays, she's seen Woman in Black here and she enjoyed One Man Two Guvnors although she said it was a little inappropriate but that she understood everything! She has even watched three operas at the cinema (Live from the Met - although Hansel & Gretl and La Cerenterola are not "heavy" - the other show was Carmen) and the ballet "Alice in Wonderland".

Updated On: 2/10/14 at 04:06 PM

Message Board

wicked plot help 8 Posts
Kindly suggest a play 1 Posts

BWW BLOGS