Broadway Legend
Stephen Ward
Posted: 6/15/13 at 02:14pm
Anthony Fremont Profile Photo
Anthony Fremont
Stand-by
Stephen Ward
Posted: 6/15/13 at 06:29pm
As far as I know, there have been no announcements about a change in dates.

The only news I could find on this show from last February was news of a private reading prior to the Sydmonton Festival.

Playbill article, 8 Feb 2013
Updated On: 6/15/13 at 06:29 PM
Princeton Returns Profile Photo
Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
Stephen Ward
Posted: 6/16/13 at 05:26am
No date has ever been confirmed, November has been rumoured for a while, but February has also been mentioned
philitalia Profile Photo
philitalia
Broadway Legend
Stephen Ward
Posted: 6/25/13 at 02:56pm
According to the BWW article it'll open in november 2103. I think I might have to give it a miss.
Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Stephen Ward
Posted: 6/25/13 at 03:17pm
" My spies say Lloyd Webber’s music is gorgeous and quite haunting."

The above quote is from the Riedel column in the New York Post, which was linked by the OP, however the quote above is very reminiscent of Baz, when he got the scoop on Love Never Dies.
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Annie Get Your Gun*** (Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar*** Porgy and Bess**** Dessa Rose** Great Britain**** One Man, Two Guvnors**** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Dogfight** My Night With Reg*** Book of Mormon***** Richard III**** See Rock City** Guys and Dolls*** Wicked* Charlie and the Chocolate Factory*** The Apple Tree*** The Jersey Boys*** Miss Saigon***** Matilda***** A Streetcar Named Desire**** The Dreamling** The Play That Went Wrong*** The Phantom of the Opera**** Fully Committed*** Bedroom Farce**** (Salisbury Playhouse) Sweeney Todd**** King Charles III*** Here Lies Love**** The Vertical Hour**** Love Story***** Altar Boys*** Evita**** Next Fall***** Cat On A Hot Tin Roof***** (Tour: Royal Deansgate, Northampton) Memphis*** The Scottsboro Boys**** Shakespeare In Love* Neville's Island*** East Is East**** Evita**** Into The Woods*** Gypsy***** (Chichester) Billy Elliot***** Seminar*** Damn Yankees*** Teh Internet Is Serious Business***
Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
Stephen Ward
Posted: 6/25/13 at 03:44pm
To be fair he was right, the score for LND was never really the problem.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Stephen Ward
Posted: 6/25/13 at 04:22pm
I don't disagree with you on the score, in places it soared, then crashed in a couple of places, the piece was let down by poor direction.

What I was trying to allude to is, that it seems to be on condition to have a scoop on the Lord's latest piece, yo have to say something really good. No matter how good this piece is and I don't know, I cannot see this going to Broadway, as the storyline is very British, would we care for musical in the West End about a American Senator?
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Annie Get Your Gun*** (Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar*** Porgy and Bess**** Dessa Rose** Great Britain**** One Man, Two Guvnors**** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Dogfight** My Night With Reg*** Book of Mormon***** Richard III**** See Rock City** Guys and Dolls*** Wicked* Charlie and the Chocolate Factory*** The Apple Tree*** The Jersey Boys*** Miss Saigon***** Matilda***** A Streetcar Named Desire**** The Dreamling** The Play That Went Wrong*** The Phantom of the Opera**** Fully Committed*** Bedroom Farce**** (Salisbury Playhouse) Sweeney Todd**** King Charles III*** Here Lies Love**** The Vertical Hour**** Love Story***** Altar Boys*** Evita**** Next Fall***** Cat On A Hot Tin Roof***** (Tour: Royal Deansgate, Northampton) Memphis*** The Scottsboro Boys**** Shakespeare In Love* Neville's Island*** East Is East**** Evita**** Into The Woods*** Gypsy***** (Chichester) Billy Elliot***** Seminar*** Damn Yankees*** Teh Internet Is Serious Business***
Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
Stephen Ward
Posted: 6/25/13 at 04:31pm
i think if it was a high profile one we would. actually i think american politics generally has a more glamorous and sexy image than uk so yeah the right story marketed the right way would work here.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Stephen Ward
Posted: 6/25/13 at 06:56pm
You think a musical on something similar like Watergate would work over here?
ClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Stephen Ward
Posted: 6/25/13 at 07:03pm
Perhaps Clinton?
2014 Theatre: Strangers on a Train 3.5 * From Here To Eternity 3.5* Stephen Ward ***** The Full Monty ***** Fiddler on the Roof (UK Tour) *** Stephen Ward ***** Jersey Boys ***** Blithe Spirit ***** Wicked (UK Tour) *** Arcadia ** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels *** Urinetown ***** Charlie and the Chocolate Factory 3.5* Other Desert Cities **** Birdland **** The Phantom of the Opera **** Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake ***** In The Heights ***** Miss Saigon **** Clarence Darrow ***** Great Britain **** The Crucible **** The Pajama Game **** Mamma Mia *** Anna Nicole **** Barnum (UK Tour) ***** Simon Callow: The Man Jesus *****
Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
Stephen Ward
Posted: 6/26/13 at 12:39am
i wouldnt say watergate as musical but yeah perhaps clinton even justa fictionalised story. we like and are interested in american culture. the right piece could work

frost/nixon was a hit
philitalia Profile Photo
philitalia
Broadway Legend
Stephen Ward
Posted: 6/26/13 at 02:31am
A lot of quintessentially British shows (including films and tv programmes) have been and continue to be successful all over the world just because they are so British. Blood Brothers, Me and My Girl, any play by Agatha Christie, ...
Remember what its producer said about Midsummer Murders ?

The same goes for American shows.

I just hope that today's public won't find its subject-matter just boring.

edit : I hope they give the show an appealing title (I remember that at first I was not interested at all in "the Beautiful Game" thinking it was about football).
Updated On: 6/26/13 at 02:31 AM
AnythingGoes23
Broadway Star
Stephen Ward
Posted: 6/26/13 at 05:05am
Goes on sale this Friday. Opening night Dec 19th with previews end of Nov. The show is called The Stephen Ward musical.
Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
Stephen Ward
Posted: 6/26/13 at 05:10am
Oh god what an awful title!! did he not learn with Love Never Dies.

Assume Baz will have the scoop friday?
philitalia Profile Photo
philitalia
Broadway Legend
Stephen Ward
Posted: 6/26/13 at 06:57am
Of course we shouldn't judge a show by its title, but that is indeed awful. Let's hope they have more creativity with the show itself.

I have the impression it is something for a niche audience - there's nothing wrong with that, it might well turn out an excellent show.

Updated On: 6/26/13 at 06:57 AM
Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
Stephen Ward
Posted: 6/26/13 at 07:56am
do you know ticket prices for this Anythinggoes?
devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Stephen Ward
Posted: 6/26/13 at 04:38pm
It's either intentionally avant-garde (pretentious) or just crap.
AvenueQResident Profile Photo
AvenueQResident
Broadway Star
Stephen Ward
Posted: 6/26/13 at 07:00pm
Why not just 'Stephan Ward'?

Maybe the musical bit was added in for advertisement purposes.
Everything in life...is only for now.
Proper Villain Profile Photo
Proper Villain
Stand-by
Stephen Ward
Posted: 6/26/13 at 09:10pm
Lest we forget "The Fix".
"Are we being attacked or entertained?" - MST3K My theatre poster/logo portfolio: http://www.listenterprises.com/
chewy5000 Profile Photo
chewy5000
Broadway Legend
Stephen Ward
Posted: 6/27/13 at 11:12pm
^My thoughts exactly
IMHO I see Queenie as being more of a brunette...
Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
Stephen Ward
Posted: 6/28/13 at 01:31am
philitalia Profile Photo
philitalia
Broadway Legend
Stephen Ward
Posted: 6/28/13 at 03:18am
It reminds me a bit of Onassis - or am I wrong ? It's probably because of the era it is set in I guess.

There's a bit of risk in that the general public will think it's too arty farty and the "intellectuals" will avoid it because it's ALW.

Updated On: 6/28/13 at 03:18 AM
Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
Stephen Ward
Posted: 6/28/13 at 03:40am
True, it is a departure. However as much as I like all of ALWs work (except The Beautiful Game which I cringe at) I dont think he has done anything truly great since Sunset Blvd and im excited at the prospect of the same team returning for this. It gives me hope
AddisonMizner
Broadway Star
Stephen Ward
Posted: 6/28/13 at 04:17am
I still think that it is a rubbish title (though not quite as bad as the previously mentioned THE STEPHEN WARD MUSICAL), but I do like the artwork. It is SO much better than the awful artwork for LOVE NEVER DIES!

Overall, I’m really looking forward to seeing this. It seems like a very interesting and different subject for a musical, and I applaud Lloyd Webber for going with something so seemingly none-commercial. I also like the prospect of Richard Eyre directing, and also think the fact that Lloyd Webber has brought on board another producer is a step in the right direction - so everything looks rather promising! I hope to book my tickets in the next couple of days. Does anyone know anything about casting? I do know that Julian Ovenden had been rumoured at one point for the lead role.
Theatre 2014: Putting It Together (St. James Theatre) ***** Candide (Menier Chocolate Factory) ***** Les Miserables ** Gounod: Faust (ROH) ***** Urinetown (St. James Theatre) ***** Ades: Powder Her Face (ENO at Ambika P3) **** Pacific Overtures (Union Theatre) ***** Marry Me A Little (St. James Studio) **** Miss Saigon ****
Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
Stephen Ward
Posted: 6/28/13 at 04:36am
I think Alexander Handsen is favourite for the role.
dgjbear
Leading Actor
Stephen Ward
Posted: 6/28/13 at 06:27am
I think this looks great...and love the artwork etc. Great to see so many new productions coming in with new scores this year. Enough with the revivals and jukebox musicals.

Page:

Message Board

Imelda Staunton Gypsy 23 Posts
Assassins 19 Posts

BWW BLOGS

Advertisement