Alumnae Theatre Company to Host 25th Anniversary New Ideas Festival, March 6-24
It's the 25th anniversary edition of Alumnae Theatre's New Ideas Festival, running March 6 - 24, 2013.
The New Ideas Festival was founded in 1989 by Molly Thom and Kerri MacDonald,and provides an opportunity for playwrights, directors, actors and technicians to develop never-before-produced short scripts. It's a juried, three-week annual festival of new writing, works-in-progress and experimental theatre, with a different lineup of short plays each week, and a staged reading (+ Talkback) on Saturdays at noon. Each play in the weekly program (Wednesday - Sunday) now receives 6 performances, and the readings have one each.
New Ideas is unusual among festivals, in that the scripts are read "blind" by a committee, which does not learn the writers' identities until the plays have been selected. For this year,114 scripts were received (from all over Canada, as well as the U.S.) and were evaluated by a 9-member reading committee consisting of directors, writers and actors.
This year's festival marks NIF's 25th anniversary. As part of the celebrations, two favourites from previous years are being remounted with their original directors: Revelationby Shirley Barrie, directed by Molly Thom (2001) is the opener and My Red Feather Boa by Flora Stohr-Danziger, directed by Nancy Bradshaw (2004) closes the festival. In between are 13 world premieres (ranging in length from 12 - 60 minutes), an exciting mix of themes and subjects that include love in many guises, loss and grief, rivalry in the theatre, and a visit to Hades with Penelope and Odysseus.
New this year: tickets for the weekly program (both evening and matinee performances) are now available for online purchase! Go to www.alumnaetheatre.com/tickets.html, click on the arrow-shaped TICKETS button, and have your credit card ready. Tickets for the Saturday staged readings are PWYC and available for in-person cash purchase only at the Box Office on the day of the performance.
A special 25th anniversary celebration will be held on Sunday March 10 at 12:30 pm in the Alumnae Theatre lobby. Former NIF participants are encouraged to book tickets for the week 1 Sunday matinee performance and to join NIF 2013 directors/participants and the two founders, both of whom have directed week 1 plays, at 12:30 pm before the show to raise a glass in honour of NIF.
Wednesday March 6 - Sunday March 10 (8pm Wed - Sat; Sat. & Sun matinées 2:30pm)
Staged Reading: Saturday March 9 at noon. Talkbacks after Saturday reading and matinee.
- Revelation by Shirley Barrie / directed by Molly Thom
- Still Waters by Suzanne Gauthier / directed by Stacy Halloran
- Say the Words by Tina McCulloch / directed by Kimberley Radmacher
- Stalled by Eugenie Carabatsos / directed by Kerri MacDonald
(Total running time with intermission: approx. 1 hr 45 mins)
Saturday Staged Reading, March 9 only:
Falling by Jamie Johnson / Directed by Ed Rosing
(approx. 60 minutes + Talkback)
Wednesday March 13 - Sunday March 17 (8pm Wed - Sat; Sat. & Sun matinées 2:30pm)
Staged Reading: Saturday March 16 at noon. Talkbacks after Saturday reading and matinee.
- The Deepest Trench by Chloë Whitehorn / directed by Justen Bennett
- Two Actresses by R. J. Downes, /directed by Pam Redfern*
- Over the Edge by Catherine Frid / directed by Pomme Corvellec
- Pieces of Penelope by Gina Femia /directed by Janet Kish
(Total running time with intermission: approx. 1-1/2 hrs)
Saturday Staged Reading, March 16 only:
Lullaby for the Abandoned by Rain Chan, dramaturged by Shaista Latif; directed by Brenda Darling (approx. 60 minutes + Talkback)
* courtesy of Canadian Actors' Equity Association
- Photo Flash: WICKED As An Animated Film?! Disney Artist Imagines Cartoon Elphaba, Glinda and More!
- Photo Flash: Saturday Intermission Pics, Dec 7 - EVITA Tour Stacks a Game-Day Pyramid, KINKY BOOTS Celebrates GRAMMY Nom and More!
- Illustrator Jim Kay Reimagines the Harry Potter Universe; New Edition Set for 2015
- Carrie Underwood Responds to Her SOUND OF MUSIC Critics: 'Mean People Need Jesus'
- Sandra Bernhard to Bring SANDYLAND to Joe's Pub, 12/26-31
- Are You Following BWW Yet on Twitter & Facebook?
- Rally Set for December 8 to Push for Naming of Michael Garin as Poet Laureate of Manhattan
- Madonna's Daughter Lourdes Stars as 'Rizzo' in High School Production of GREASE
- PCI Compliance Certification Consultant for Philadelphia, PA, Camden, NJ, and Wilmington, DE Businesses Now Offered by the PCI DSS Specialists at pcipolicyportal.com
- Industry Leading HIPAA Security Training PPT for Download Available from North America's Leading Healthcare Experts at myhipaasecuritytraining.com