STG Announces Upcoming Events: Ben Howard and More
Venue: The Moore (All Ages / Bar w/ ID)
Lauded British singer-songwriter Ben Howard is set to support Mumford & Sons on the east coast leg of their 2013 U.S. The musician's celebrated live performances have resulted in back-to-back sell-out tours, both overseas and in stateside. In the past year Howard appeared at various festivals worldwide, such as SXSW, Sasquatch! Music Festival, Bonnaroo, and Austin City Limits. Of his live set, KCRW explains "[he] has the audience in musical awe." Further tour dates below.
Howard's The Burgh Island E.P. is out now-having debuted #1 on iTunes in the U.K. and top 30 on iTunes in the U.S. The new music is also available as limited edition vinyl frombenhowardmusic.co.uk.
Howard continues to bask in acclaim from his breakout year, which includes a Mercury Prize "Album of the Year" nomination, two Brit Awards nominations for "Best Male" and "Breakthrough Act," and appearances on "The Late Show with David Letterman" and "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" His debut album Every Kingdom, now certified Platinum in the U.K., garnered attention with the The New York Times hailing, "Howard's songs...cascade from his fingers, gathering words and melodies as they go, carrying his reedy, tremulous voice as their crescendos surge," and NYLON Guys admiring "a mélange of intricate acoustic guitar work and sweet, hum-along choruses." Furthermore, NY Daily News praised the record as "fired by flinty textures of guitar," while Philadelphia Inquirer described it as "touched by tender lyricism."
James has released five singles this year, to considerable acclaim; for some reason, bloggers tend to pick up on the sense of isolation in his work and love to ruminate over his intricate beats. A few of his key tracks feature heavily edited, cut-up vocal samples from R&B records, but on his radical reading of Feist's 'Limit to Your Love' he sings the song himself, layering his voice. It's a powerful number. "'Limit to Your Love' was the first time I ever used my voice and I gave special attention to it," he says. "I thought, well, I'm using my voice here so I'll do something extra innovative."
- LYLE FINDS HIS MOTHER Up Next in Lifeline KidsSeries, 3/22-4/27
- Sanguine Theatre Presents New York Premiere of WILD, Now thru 4/6
- Atlanta Lyric Theatre to Stage Timeless Classic ANNIE, 4/4-30
- NewFilmmakers NY to Screen THE IBUR CONNECTION, THE LIBERATION OF JAMES JOYCE and More, 3/18
- Elisabeth Morrow School Students Participate in Elizabeth Barry's TEDx Talk
- El Portal Theatre to Present COUNTRY ROADS: A JOHN DENVER CELEBRATION, 4/3-13
- PICT Theatre to Open Season with BLITHE SPIRIT, 5/3
- Leddy Center Dedicates 3/14 Opening Performance of ON GOLDEN POND to Paul Lefevre
- WELCOME TO NIGHT VALE Podcast Set for the Kentucky Center, 3/19
- SIR PATIENT FANCY, WITCH CAMP and More Set for The Wild Project, Now thru April 2014