Next 50 Closing Day Celebration Set for 10/21
Sunday, Oct. 21 marks the final day of The Next Fifty, celebrating the 50th Anniversary of the 1962 Seattle World's Fair, and Seattle Center is planning a festive finale to six months of anniversary activities honoring the past, celebrating the present, and envisioning futures possibilities.
A Closing Ceremony and Seattle Symphony Concert serve as centerpieces of the Closing Day Celebration, sponsored by Bartell Drugs. The free community event also features live music, a student break dancing showcase, Pat Graney dance presentation, performance artist Laurie Anderson in discussion with other women involved in the arts and social change, and mobile food vendors.
The Next Fifty closing date corresponds to that of the World's Fair 50 years ago. Over the past six months, our community has engaged in The Next Fifty and explored the pressing issues of our day. History exhibits, speaker series, conferences, visual and performing arts, and special activities addressed six keys areas of regional leadership, influence and development including: sustainable futures, science and technology, global health, learning, commerce and the innovation economy, and civic action.
The Closing Day Celebration provides an opportunity for The Next Fifty to thank the hundreds of volunteers and supporters who have given so generously of their time, energy, and ideas to bring the 50th Anniversary to fruition. We invite the community to join us for this day of reflection, entertainment, and family-friendly activities including:
· 10 a.m.–5 p.m. Final day of Celebrating Century 21 Exhibits: photography, quilts and historical memorabilia. International Fountain Pavilion, free.
· 11 a.m.–7 p.m. Final day of World Vision Experience – Step Into Africa exhibit. Next 50 Pavilion, free.
· 12 p.m. Women Acting Out: Laurie Anderson and local artists explore the role of art in civic action. Intiman Playhouse, free.
· 12 p.m.–6 p.m. A selection of mobile food trucks and carts. Seattle Center campus.
· 1:30 p.m.–2 p.m. Closing Ceremony. Fisher Pavilion, free.
· 2 p.m.–3 p.m. Seattle Symphony Concert, Ludovic Morlot, conductor, with the International Contemporary Ensemble (ICE) and Seattle Symphony. Fisher Pavilion, free.
· 3:30 p.m. Land of Pines, courtesy of Fin Records. Fisher Pavilion, free.
· 4 p.m. Extraordinary Futures, student break dancing showcase. Fisher Pavilion, free.
· 4:15 p.m. SEACATS, courtesy of Fin Records. Fisher Pavilion, free.
· 4:30 p.m. Pat Graney – The Chair Spectacle, modern dance performance. International Fountain, free.
The closing of The Next Fifty marks the start of the next 50 years for our region, city, and Seattle Center. We hope the important topics raised, ideas introduced and discussions pursued over the past six months will resonate into the future in ways that inspire individual achievement and collective action among those in our region who are striving to positively impact the world.
For more information on this event and other outstanding programming offered at Seattle Center, visit www.seattlecenter.com or call 206 684-7200.