NEXT TO NORMAL, PETER AND THE STARCATCHER & More Set for Broadway South & NCT 2014-15 Season
North Carolina Theatre and Broadway Series South have announced their 2014/15 season at the Duke Energy Center for the Performing Arts. This smash-hit season begins with a true celebration of the American Musical with A Chorus Line, followed by three additional Tonyâ award winning productions, including the show-stopping musical, Billy Elliot; the witty Peter Pan prequel, Peter and the Starcatcher; the heart-breakingly powerful Next to Normal and more. The 14/15 season moves from timeless to modern and promises something for everyone!
2014-2015 Broadway Season At a Glance
· A Chorus Line (October 14-19, 2014 NC Theatre Production): Winner of NINE Tony Awards, including Best Musical, A Chorus Line is a stunning musical-verite about a chorus audition for a Broadway show. It is a brilliantly complex fusion of dance, song, and compellingly authentic drama. A Chorus Line is recognized as a true classic and a timeless favorite to many musical theatre fans.
· Billy Elliot (December 2-7, 2014, NC Theatre & Broadway Series South Co-Presentation): The winner of TEN Tony Awards including Best Musical, Billy Elliot the Musical is the joyous celebration of one boy's journey to make his dreams come true. Set in a small town, the story follows Billy as he stumbles out of the boxing ring and into a ballet class, discovering a surprising talent that inspires his family and his whole community, changing his life forever.
· Gilbert & Sullivan's The Pirates of Penzance (February 10-15, 2015, NC Theatre & Broadway Series South Co-Presentation): Long before Johnny Depp swaggered his way across the Caribbean, a band of swashbuckling (but tender-hearted) pirates set hearts aflutter with their high-seas hijinx. This cheeky farce explodes across the stage with damsels in distress, a sexy Pirate King, a delightfully dotty Major General, and an unforgettable score.
· Peter and the Starcatcher (March 10-15, 2015, NC Theatre & Broadway Series South Co-Presentation): This musical play takes a hilarious romp through the Neverland you never knew. The winner of FIVE Tonyâ Awards, this swashbuckling prequel to Peter Pan will have you hooked from the moment you let your imagination take flight. PETER AND THE STARCATCHER is the innovative and imaginative play based on the best-selling novel by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson. A company of a dozen actors play more than a hundred unforgettable characters, all on a journey to answer the century-old question: How did Peter Pan become The Boy Who Never Grew Up?
· Next to Normal (May 1-10, 2015, NC Theatre Production): Winner of FOUR Tonyâ awards and the 2010 Pulitzer Prize, Broadway's most talked-about new musical is "brave and breathtaking" according to The New York Times and a show that "pushes Broadway in new directions" says Rolling Stone. Next to Normal tells the story of a mother struggling with bipolar disorder and the effect that her illness has on her family. With a thrilling contemporary rock score, Next to Normal is an emotional powerhouse about a family trying to stay sane and keep their family's world intact in the face of mental illness.
· The Buddy Holly Story (July 21-26, 2015, NC Theatre Production): Before the Beatles or the Stones ever played a note, rock & roll was forever changed by the bespectacled kid from Texas. Buddy tells the true story of Buddy Holly through his short yet spectacular career and features the classic songs 'That'll be the Day', 'Peggy Sue' , ' The Big Bopper's' , Chantilly Lace', 'Ritchie Valens', 'La Bamba' plus many more! Watch his story explode onto the stage in a toe-tapping, hand-clapping, extravaganza that will have you 'up and dancing in the aisles'!
Lisa Grele Barrie, President & CEO said, "NC Theatre is excited to share these classic and contemporary stories of resilience, adventure, imagination, anguish and triumph with our audience. We're thrilled to offer an award-winning season that will appeal to patrons of all ages in our Triangle arts community."