BWW Reviews: Curious Theatre Presents THE ELABORATE ENTRANCE OF CHAD DIETY - Unexpected Delight!
Curious Theatre launches it's fifteen season with the regional premiere of THE ELABORATE ENTRANCE OF CHAD DEITY playing now through October 13th. Puerto Rican professional wrestler is frustrated with his lot in life—which is being the guy who loses to cocky megastar Chad Deity. But when he and his Indian-American partner reinvent their wrestling personas as Muslim fundamentalist enemies to America, his career suddenly becomes very interesting indeed. Diaz creates a unique theatrical experience (including live wrestling!) that forces the audience to question the disturbingly persuasive power of ethnic stereotypes in our entertainment. This physically ambitious and energetic comedy has been produced across the country, placing as a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize.
I must say that when I walked through that door, I was not expecting what was inside. I knew the play had something to do with wrestling, but when I saw that ring onstage and the guys going through their routine, I knew I was in for a whole new world that I had never been privy before. I have seen and mocked WWF on television and always just shrugged it off as melodrama in spandex, but Chad Deity really does have heart and completely draws you into the story. If there was ever an homage to the John Leguizamo process, this would be the one and it was a delight to watch a play exploring minorities. This show, like the fights we see on TV encourages audience participation and our audience ate it up! The depiction of the "fundamentalists" was comedy at its best and was so un-politically correct. This show may not be meant for an older crowd with the sound and light rock show, but believe me, this is one elaborate entrance that lives up to its name. Ultimately, Kristoffer Diaz wrote a winning underdog show that showed through great humor and heart the lost art to this style of wrestling.
I have to say that I did not expect to like this show as much as I did, but it was simply a delight to watch about a topic that I never thought I would ever see on this award-winning stage! This is a show that you do not want to miss, so go and be surprised by the drama in the ring! THE ELABORATE ENTRANCE OF CHAD DEITY is slammin it at Curious Theatre now until October 13th. For tickets or more information, contact the box office at 303-623-0524 or online at www.curioustheatre.org. Curtain times are Thursday – Saturday at 8 p.m.; and Sunday at 2 p.m. Curious Theatre is located at 1080 Acoma Street in Denver, CO.
- BWW Interviews: ANIMAL CRACKERS Sweetheart Stephanie Rothenberg Speaks of her Challenges and Passions with this Show and Jane Austin!
- BWW Interviews: The Talented Ms. Tari Kelly on her Extensive Broadway Career and Channeling Judy Garland!
- BWW Reviews: The Arvada Center brings Childish Glee and Delight in LYLE THE CROCODILE!
- BWW Reviews: Ms. Dixie Returns to Denver for a Hoot and a Holler of Hilarity in DIXIE'S TUPPERWARE PARTY!
- BWW Interviews: Denver Center Veteran Sam Gregory and his Love of Theatre, Shadowlands, and his Wife!
- BWW Reviews: The Arvada Center Presents a Haunting and Memorable Insight into Addiction in END OF THE RAINBOW
- BWW Reviews: Cherry Creek Theatre Presents an Exemplary Male Ensemble in 12 ANGRY MEN!
- BWW Reviews: Vintage Theatre's LEND ME A TENOR Stumbles but Prevails in Comedy!
- BWW Interviews: Tony Award Winner CHRISTIAN HOFF on THE MIDTOWN MEN, JERSEY BOYS, VINEYARDS and More!