The Anahid Sofian Dance Company Commemorates 35th Anniversary with Evening of Middle Eastern Music & Dance, Today
Over 25 fabulous dancers and musicians will join Anahid Sofian Dance Company in a retrospective of signature works from the Near and Middle East in celebration of the Company's 35th Anniversary. The program will present both traditional dances and those inspired by cultures of Morocco, Egypt, Turkey, Persia, Armenia, Greece and Uzbekistan, as well as numerous renditions of Danse Orientale. The program is a dazzling blend of different styles, both old and new, traditional and theatrical. Two performances, June 28& 29 at MMAC, 246 West 60th Street, NYC.
Just a few highlights of the program will be:
* Morocco, a group dance based on traditional Moroccan dance
* guest Nourhan Sharif and Company
* Raqsat Al Badween (Dance of the Beautiful Women), a quintet
* Garden of the Beloved, danced by Anahid Sofian, inspired by the poem that states: "Love is like the smell of
a flower, something that you cannot touch...and like the bird in love with the flower, flying and always seeking
its fragrance in the garden, we search for this eternal love in this terrestrial world or in the work of heaven."
* the Souren Baronian Band performing on kaval, oud, clarinet, kanoon, violin, and percussion instruments.