Top YA Authors Meet Fans at LeakyCon 2014, Now thru 8/3
From "The Fault in Our Stars" to "The Spiderwick Chronicles" and "Speak," young adult novels continue to capture the hearts and attention of readers around the world. Several of the most popular and bestselling authors in the genre will be making appearances at this year's LeakyCon, the leading sci-fi/fantasy film, television and book convention being held today, July 30-Aug. 3 at the Orange County Convention Center in Orlando, Florida.
In addition to the main convention, LeakyCon offers a special literary track with programming focused on books,featuring hands-on sessions and events with some of today's most popular authors for teens and young adults. Authors scheduled to appear include: John Green, Laurie HalseAnderson, Holly Black, Gayle Forman, Lev Grossman, Alaya Dawn Johnson, Scott Westerfeld, Malinda Lo, Varian Johnson, Lauren Myracle, Stephanie Perkins and Rainbow Rowell. Bestselling authors Robin Wasserman and Maureen Johnson develop theliterary programming for LeakyCon.
LeakyCon's literary track includes panels and Q&As, as well as interactive experiences enabling attendees to actually meet and talk with the authors, discuss their own writing endeavors and get advice.
· Kickoff panel to meet the authors and hear what's going on during the show.
· Panel discussion on diversity in books.
· Clinics for amateur authors to get advice from bestselling authors on improving their writing.
· A behind-the-scenes discussion about how Tumblrand the reading community work together.
· A young adult version of Jeopardy to test attendees on their knowledge of Young Adult literature.
· A discussion about the process of having your book made into a movie.
· Top young adult authors read some of their early work from when they were teenagers.
· Fun and nerdy games with authors and other aspiring writers.
All LeakyCon attendees will have an opportunity to meet celebrities from their favorite movies and television shows and authors of bestselling books, in addition to attending a wide array of special events, panel discussions, Q&A sessions, workshops, live performances, music concerts and a marketplace with a variety of vendors. This year's LeakyCon will also feature a special private event at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios Orlando, including the soon-to-open Diagon Alley and Hogwarts Express. The attraction will be closed to the general public and open only to LeakyCon attendees.
LeakyCon is one of the largest and most recognized annual fandom conventions in the world and is attended every year by thousands of fantasy film, television and book fans. The event was started in 2009 as a conference for Harry Potter fans and has since grown to include fans of some of the most popular films, television shows and books in the genre such as "Doctor Who," "Game of Thrones," "The Hunger Games," "Supernatural" and "Firefly." Past events have been held in Boston, Orlando, Chicago, Portland and London. More information is available at www.LeakyCon.com.