Comscore

PHANTOM, MAMMA MIA! & CINDERELLA to offer Thursday matinees

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
Broadway Legend
Phantom of the Opera, Mamma Mia! & Cinderella will switch their schedules starting in April 2014 and will now offer Thursday matinees at 2pm. I personally feel this is long over due. I have to wonder if other shows might follow.
...Starting in April 2014
A Chorus Line played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013.
tobiasragg Profile Photo
tobiasragg
Broadway Legend
I can't imagine that other shows won't be far behind. It would be lovely to have a varied performance schedule for most (if not all) shows!
"Bring down my things. I'm going out of this world exactly the way I came in to it: wearing a hat." - Colleen Donaghy, "30 Rock" -- "The choice may have been mistaken, the choosing was not."
ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
Broadway Legend
I've actually never understood the whole matinees are only on Wednesday thing. Seems like you'd have less competition spreading them out. Between this and the HEDWIG weekend schedule next year seems like changes for the better.
"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah
Outoftowner2
Stand-by
I agree, it makes sense. It's about time for some more options.
Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
Broadway Star
One show doing this on its own would be incredibly tough unless it was, say, Book of Mormon. Or Wicked. So the idea of joining forces is a great one. But...does ANYone think Cinderella will be open in April?
I started a blog! Cause I'm a nerd. http://100showsayear.blogspot.com/
ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
Broadway Legend
Seems to me Cinderella isn't planning on going anywhere.
Brian07663NJ Profile Photo
Brian07663NJ
Broadway Legend
It is an incredibly smart business decision. Tourists are in town and have to make choices...moving to a Thursday matinee performance when other shows are dark is a great opportunity for them!

Same applies to any shows doing a Monday night show!

When I go to Las Vegas to catch up on shows (or any city with a lot of theater available) I try to fit in any shows possible!
Up next: Apr 01 Hedwig and the Angry Inch; Apr 05 Charo at RamsHead OnStage; Apr 07 Lady Gaga at Roseland Ballroom; Apr 13 Amaluna next to Citi Field; Apr 18 Disney Junior at MSG Theatre; May 06 Aladdin; May 13 Artpop Ball Lady Gaga at MSG; Jun 07 Varekai in Bridgeport, CT Jul 12 1:30pm Side Show; Jul 12 8:30pm Fantasia w/National Symphony Orchestra; Aug 16 The Visit: Williamstown Festival
VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
Leading Actor
So...are they adding a 9th show or taking away the Wednesday matinee?
Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Great for the New York tourist, such as me, as it will allow me to maximise my shows.
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Annie Get Your Gun*** (Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar*** Porgy and Bess**** Dessa Rose** Great Britain**** One Man, Two Guvnors**** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Dogfight** My Night With Reg*** Book of Mormon***** Richard III**** See Rock City** Guys and Dolls*** Wicked* Charlie and the Chocolate Factory*** The Apple Tree*** The Jersey Boys*** Miss Saigon***** Matilda***** A Streetcar Named Desire**** The Dreamling** The Play That Went Wrong*** The Phantom of the Opera**** Fully Committed*** Bedroom Farce**** (Salisbury Playhouse) Sweeney Todd**** King Charles III*** Here Lies Love**** The Vertical Hour**** Love Story***** Altar Boys*** Evita**** Next Fall***** Cat On A Hot Tin Roof***** (Tour: Royal Deansgate, Northampton) Memphis*** The Scottsboro Boys**** Shakespeare In Love* Neville's Island*** East Is East**** Evita**** Into The Woods*** Gypsy***** (Chichester) Billy Elliot***** Seminar*** Damn Yankees*** Teh Internet Is Serious Business***
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
I'm guessing Mamma Mia! will lose Monday or the Sunday evening performance in favour of a Thursday Matinee as they currently have four shows at the weekend and Tuesday as their dark day.
ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
Broadway Legend
no 9 shows a week. just a different schedule.

CINDERELLA's will be: Mon - DARK; Tue @ 7pm; Wed @ 2pm; Thur @ 2pm & 7:30pm; Fri @ 8pm; Sat @ 2pm & 8pm; Sun @ 3pm.
MAMMA MIA's will be: Mon - Sat @ 8pm; Thur & Sat @ 2pm; Sun - DARK.
PHANTOM's will be: Mon @ 8pm; Tue @ 7pm, Wed - Sat @ 8pm, Thur & Sat @ 2pm; Sun - DARK.
A Chorus Line played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013.
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Interesting that Mamma Mia! is losing Sundays in favour of Tuesday Evening and both Sunday evening performances, guessing the Sunday show weren't selling so have reverted to the old schedule with the exception of the midweek matinee.
GilmoreGirlO2 Profile Photo
GilmoreGirlO2
Broadway Star
I like the idea of a different show time availability, but I donít like that 2 of the 3 shows doing it are now dark on Sundays (especially as an out-of-towner who, when I come into New York, am counting on weekend shows). I hope many other shows donít follow suit in changing Sunday to their day off (itís also hard for me to believe that a Thursday matinee will draw more of a crowd that a Sunday matinee).
qolbinau Profile Photo
qolbinau
Broadway Legend
Chicago had a Thursday Matinee during summer of 2011 and the theatre was less than half full. No TKTS is available either, if I remember correctly. In theory it sounds like a good idea but does it actually work?

Updated On: 11/9/13 at 05:02 PM
GilmoreGirlO2 Profile Photo
GilmoreGirlO2
Broadway Star
It does seem like if itís going to work at all, summer would be the time to do it. (Most) students are out of school and people are taking off of work (and, around the holidays, as the same would be true). In the fall and spring, though, itís hard for me to imagine that they would get a bigger house on a Thursday afternoon than a Sunday afternoon. They must be basing this action off of some reasoning, though, unless they are just hoping that the lack of competition in those slots prevails.
JBradshaw Profile Photo
JBradshaw
Stand-by
I saw one of the 2011 "Chicago" Thursday mats. Tkts wasn't open. The theatre was beyond empty. I think one third of the orchestra section was filled.
AntV
Leading Actor
The bigger surprise is that Cinderlla plans to stay open until at least April 2014.
ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
Broadway Legend
with three shows opting for the Thursday matinees, I'm sure at least one window at TKTS will be open to sell tickets for these three shows. Especially since all three are always at TKTS. aren't there a few off-Broadway shows that do Thursday matinees, too??
everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
Broadway Legend
Book of Mormon originally scheduled Friday matinees for their first summer, then cancelled the idea, along with all those performances. (Maybe Chicago was hoping for the run-off business in general that summer, hence the Thursday matinees?)

I think now going at it as a block, especially with Mamma Mia and Phantom as the anchors, is a smart idea. These two shows alone will give more shows that have been wanting to try this the impetus to actually go forward, and that will give TKTS reason enough to open additional days. And don't forget they're doing this right in the middle of Spring/Easter Break period, which is prime for the tourists and groups. Definitely a step in the right direction.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008
theatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
Broadway Legend
Book of Mormon did do Friday matinees last summer though. But at this point they could do matinees any day and they would sell out.

Advertisement