AUDITION FOR HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL ON STAGE no hate please

artpop
Swing
Yes, I am auditioning for High School Musical On Stage.. I am 14, I have a mezzo/soprano voice and am required to audition with a ROCK/POP song any suggestions?
cooliejulie16
Swing
That's actually really cool, I'm actually jealous. My suggestion is to look at the musicals american idiot and next to normal, I feel like you could find something from there. Also look at thoroughly modern millie, it's really cutsie and broadway. Also look at songs from memphis (only if you are african american, if you're not I suggest not singing songs from there)

Hope this helps!
artpop
Swing
Thank you so much, cooliejulie16!! I'm not African American, it's actually a Melbourne production so I'm Australian. I will definitely have a look at the musicals you suggested, again thank you!!!!
dramamama611
Broadway Legend
Skip Millie -- it is not rock or pop. It's traditional B'way.
If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
artpop
Swing
Thank you! Do you have any other suggestions? Do you think I should definitely do something from a musical? It was never specified; ive auditioned for this company previously and they usually ask if they want musicals... Would it be bad to do a non-musical song? I was thinking Blame It on the Boogie by The Jackson 5 but is that not advised?
bwaylvsong
Broadway Legend
That's fine. If they ask for a pop/rock song and don't specify that it should be from a musical, that's exactly what they want.
supportivemom
Broadway Legend
First of all- my daughter is dying to go to Australia! She's a big fan of the show "Dance Academy" and after seeing the beautiful scenery- she especially wants to go. I grew up on The Jackson Five and I love "Blame it on the Boogie". It's definitely a very upbeat/fun song and not overused- at least not here in the states. I just showed it to my daughter and she had never heard it before. Break legs at your audition!
artpop
Swing
Yes, Australia is great, Not much in the way of musicals though... Thank you for your advice, the audition is on Saturday and I have the song down now :)

BROADWAYWORLD TV