Picking an appropriate high school show

GetBackUp25
Understudy
I've been helping my drama teacher choose shows for our school but our tastes have reached an impasse when it comes to next year's shows. I like really edgy and/or obscure stuff but her insistence on family-friendly big-name shows that would attract a large audience has won out in previous years.

Our past shows have included

Into the Woods
Guys and Dolls
The Pirates of Penzance
The Music Man
Footloose
Anything Goes
Godspell

However, we have been doing those same shows since at least 2000 and I would like to find a slightly more out-of-the-box show for my senior year musical.
Here are my ideas

Promises, Promises
Wonderful Town
Follies
Man of La Mancha
Xanadu
Bat Boy
The Mystery of Edwin Drood
Anyone Can Whistle
Honk!
Mamma Mia

Using the list of past musicals as a guide to the needs of our drama department, which of the above shows would be best for my school?
AwesomeDanny
Broadway Legend
I think Promises, Promises and Wonderful Town would be the most in line with the first list. I would not really consider a high school to do Follies because of its technical requirements, Man of La Mancha because there are so few roles for girls and so many for boys, and Xanadu because it's such a small cast. If you can convince your teacher to try to take some risks, I think Anyone Can Whistle and Drood would be great choices for a high school. They're not the "big-name" shows she's looking for, but they are big, fun shows that are family friendly if I remember correctly. I also think it's good to expose students to material beyond the extremely popular shows that everybody knows.
GetBackUp25
Understudy
I think those would be pretty good ideas and I'll suggest them to her when I get the chance. I don't think Honk! or Bat Boy would be big-name enough so I have two alternate suggestions. Would Funny Girl or The Wiz work for a high school?
Jon
Broadway Legend
Mamma Mia is not available for amateur production.
GetBackUp25
Understudy
Picking an appropriate high school show
Posted: 11/10/12 at 06:55pm
I guess my teacher doesn't know that because she thought about doing it a couple of years but she never found the perfect Sophie.
Also, it's a pity that rights aren't available for Starkid shows or Kerrigan & Lowdermilk (as far as I know) because in terms of the kind of talent we have, A Very Potter Musical could work , as well as The Unauthorized Autobiography of Samantha Brown if we double casted the teenage roles.