Musicals that could be animated...

Overkill
Broadway Star
Posted: 4/12/11 at 04:41pm
I always thought that Wicked and especially Bat Boy would be wonderful as animated features. What do you think?
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Posted: 4/12/11 at 04:46pm
Lion King. MAYBE Beauty and the Beast. But that's about it.
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
Donthatecongratulate
Stand-by
Posted: 4/12/11 at 04:49pm
The scottsboro boys. Jk.....

Caroline or change
"Don't f*** a baby. I'll get rid of your AIDS. If you f*** this frog."
Craig
Broadway Legend
Posted: 4/12/11 at 04:53pm
Passion - but only if it was done with claymation
"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka
gvendo2005
Broadway Legend
Posted: 4/12/11 at 04:53pm
Cats was supposed to have been done as an animated feature produced by Steven Spielberg at Universal back in the Nineties. Steve Margoshes was production music supervisor on the flick, and actually auditioned the score for Spielberg (funny story about it on his website). Nothing ever came of it, but I kind of wonder how it would have turned out. Felt the same about another Webber piece, Joseph, after seeing RUG put out "coloring book pages" based on the Donny Osmond video on its website several years ago.

On a more serious note, however, especially with the advent of Shrek and other animated "twists" on fairy tales, am I the only one who thinks animation may actually be the best fit for Into the Woods as a film?
"There is no problem so big that it cannot be run away from." ~ Charles M. Schulz
Orangesaretuesdays
Stand-by
Posted: 4/12/11 at 04:55pm
Lion King? LION KING? That would NEVER work... Geez people can be such idiots sometimes.
Shows in 2014: Jan. 2: A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum at The Shakespeare Theatre.
HistoryBoy2
Leading Actor
Posted: 4/12/11 at 05:02pm
Ok guys I'm just kicking the tyres on this one and don't shoot me down straight away but maybe The Little Mermaid? idk.
BDrischBDemented
Broadway Star
Posted: 4/12/11 at 05:07pm
Hair. I'm totally serious about this.
"Your lyrics lack subtlety! You can't just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!"
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Posted: 4/12/11 at 05:12pm
Seussical
Aida
Little Shop of Horrors
Finians Rainbow
The Toxic Avenger
Spelling Bee.
2012 Shows!
The Railway Children, The Lion In Winter, The Comedy of Errors, Richard II, Pippin, The Ladykillers, Absent Friends, Shrek, Masterclass, Jersey Boys Rock Of Ages, Legally Blonde, Hay Fever, Singin' in the Rain, Abigail's Party, What the Butler Saw, Ragtime. [Booked] London Road, The Last of the Haussmans.
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Posted: 4/12/11 at 05:19pm
Once on This Island
Honk
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
illuminate the night
Swing
Posted: 4/12/11 at 05:21pm
Definitely Once On This Island.
broadwaydevil
Broadway Legend
Posted: 4/12/11 at 05:22pm
Avenue Q - that could be great.
Scratch and claw for every day you're worth! Make them drag you screaming from life, keep dreaming You'll live forever here on earth.
Scarywarhol
Broadway Legend
Posted: 4/12/11 at 05:23pm
Wicked would definitely work, and I don't even particularly like it.
PennybankBill
Stand-by
Posted: 4/12/11 at 05:28pm
How about a looney tunes style urinetown with animals instead of people?
Stand-by
Posted: 12/27/13 at 12:41am
How about ANYONE CAN WHISTLE, all in black and white? Maybe the medium can help make the plot absurdities seem more appealing. And Donna Murphy could be the voice of Cora.

I also think it would be magnificent as a live-action black and white film (although extremely unlikely to be made).
FlowerChild67
Stand-by
Posted: 12/27/13 at 01:01am
Once on This Island, Wicked, and Aida could all be really cool.
SNAFU
Broadway Legend
Posted: 12/27/13 at 01:23am
Naked Boys Singing.
Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!
tazber
Broadway Legend
Posted: 12/27/13 at 05:59am
Matilda
....but the world goes 'round
MattDean
Swing
Posted: 12/27/13 at 07:26am
Starlight Express and Cats.
Mattbrain
Broadway Legend
Posted: 12/27/13 at 10:00am
*deep breath*

Les Miserables. I'm dead serious.
Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."
theatregeek6
Leading Actor
Posted: 12/27/13 at 11:09am
I was always surprised that Disney never made an animated Aida. Also suessical would work well.
thirtythirtyninety
Understudy
Posted: 12/27/13 at 11:19am
Book of Mormon
disneybroadwayfan22
Broadway Legend
Posted: 12/27/13 at 11:32am
Aida was actually going to be animated in the 90s, but got shelved.

But, tazbear, yeah, I'm thinking that the Acrobat and Escapologist stories could be hand drawn in the movie since Matilda's imagination is huge and colorful!
Broadway Shows: Phantom of the Opera (January 2011), Mary Poppins (January 2011), Anything Goes (August 2011, W/ Sutton Foster, Joel Grey, and Laura Osnes), The Lion King (August 2011), Godspell (June 2012, W/ Corbin Bleu), Matilda the Musical (Original Broadway Cast, May 2013), Newsies (May 2013), Cinderella (W/ Carly Rae Jepsen and Fran Drescher, May 2014), and Aladdin (OBC, May 2014). Pre-Broadway: If/Then (November 2013/World Premiere, W/ Idina Menzel, LaChanze, and Anthony Rapp). National Tours: Wicked (October 2012), Beauty & the Beast (January 2013), & Jersey Boys (November 2013)

Met Idina Menzel & Sierra Boggess (November 2013)
gleek4114
Broadway Star
Posted: 12/27/13 at 12:22pm
I think in the 90s there was a kids TV show based on Little Shop. There is an episode on YouTube. It had almost no musical element except for the plant rapping. And they did a weird time thing with it where Seymour and Audrey were like little kids. And Mr. Mushnik was Audrey's dad. It was EXTREMlY odd and hard to watch, being a big fan of the show myself.
Broadway Star
Posted: 12/27/13 at 02:02pm
It would be wonderful to have Matilda's stories animated and the rest of the film live action! Now that I think about it I don't think it would work half as well any other way.

I once read that AIDA was originally going to be a Disney animated feature, but that never happened so they made it a stage musical instead.
trentsketch
Broadway Legend
Posted: 12/27/13 at 03:05pm
My understanding was that Elton John was interested in working with Disney on turning Aida into a musical but didn't want to just do another animated film. So, they went the stage musical route instead.

I think A Year with Frog and Toad would work really well as an animated musical. Same with Honk.

Amour could work, as well. It would eliminate the technical concerns of getting Dusoleil through the walls and they could go very stylized with the animation.
Updated On: 12/27/13 at 03:05 PM

Page: