Printer Friendly - re: Rent vs. Wicked vs Phantom of the Opera

Rent vs. Wicked vs Phantom of the Opera
Posted by tz0o 2006-09-10 11:00:56

Ok, so I was pacing like I usually do, until I started wondering: between Rent, Wicked, and Phantom, which one is more popular? By popular, I mean which one is more likely to have those freaky rabid fans. In my school it's close between Rent and Phantom (though Wicked has its fair share of fans), but I think Phantom ultimately wins. Which do you think is more popular?

re: Rent vs. Wicked vs Phantom of the Opera
Posted by Lolita2 2006-09-10 11:29:20

I don't know about most fans but in the annoyingness of the fans I'd say:

3.Phantom
2.Rent
1.Wicked

(Note: I am fan of all these shows, just not a fanatical one (is fanatical a word?))

Posted by bwayondabrain 2006-09-10 11:31:15

also, based on fan annoying-ness, i'd use the same order as lolita did...
popularity-wise, i'd say
3. WICKED
2. RENT
1. PHANTOM

Posted by ashley0139 2006-09-10 11:42:31

I would have to say that I think Wicked has the craziest fans. Although I can't say I really remember a ton about the RENT fans back in the day when it first came out, so that was probably more of a phenomenom than Wicked. From what I've witnessed, Phantom's aren't too bad.

Edited because I can't read.

Posted by ThankstoPhantom 2006-09-10 12:12:27

As a phan, I must say that we're not very rabid at all. POTO has a very calm but strong fan base that is filled with people who return again and again, but never try to bombard BWW or other sites like it with...WHOS DA BEST THIS....WHOS DA BEST DAT!

You will get the exceptions now and then, though, but they're definately not in the majority.

I consider the movie's fans a different breed, as they are known for:"I LUV GERRY BUTLA!!!" "The movees SOOOOOOOOO much betta than the show...lyke, y isnt the phantom hott lyk Geryy????!!!" But, again, that's not everyone.

Rent's fans have more calm as well.

Wicked's has matured a tad, but there's still the newbie fans who go a bit crazy.

Posted by best12bars 2006-09-10 12:39:17

It's only because a lot of the Rent fans are older now.

Their freakiness has been subdued by Father Time. Soon, they'll all be "Rent Curmudgeons." Passive, bitchy... and generally calm.

Wickedites will follow in a couple of years.

They're still in "full bloom" right now.

Posted by jv92 2006-09-10 13:03:46

Well, if we're discussing the equally loony fan groups of each show, I'll talk about some of my experiences with them and give my two cents on who wins.

Wicked- Countless nuts. The ones who think they are Idina Menzel and who sing a painful version of Defying Gravity at the stage door. The ones who do the same thing to Popular, among other songs. Stephen Schwartz is no Sondheim, but his music doesn't deserve to be butchered by teenyboppers. But the worst I've experienced were the two girls at See What I Wanna See. They were in red. I think that was supposed to represent Idina's outfit when she came out at her last performance. I could be wrong. They really didn't give a damn about the show (which was better than Wicked) and hooted and screamed whenever Ms. Menzel sang, spoke or walked onstage. It was disgusting.

Rent- I don't like Rent. I think it's outdated (go ahead, shoot me) and pretentious. Obviously, its passionate group of fans disagree with me because when I told a friend of mine (I guess you could call him a Renthead) what I thought of the show, he almost killed me. The Rent fans seem to be closed minded to other opinions of the show and other shows for that matter. They also think the lyrics of the show are more quotable and inspirational than JFK's inagural adress.

Phantom- They aren't loud. They don't butcher the song(s). Really, it's only one song. (which deserves to be butchered) and they seem to know how to behave at the theatre. However, they are exremely closed minded to other works. Phantom, and all BritishAndrew Lloyd Webber musical fans, do not care for Rodgers and Hammerstein, Sondheim, Kander and Ebb among others. They also think you are insane when you express a negative opinion about Phantom. However, what annoys me most is how many times they come. When I first saw the show (my first AND LAST time) the woman behind me had said she saw it nearly 40 times. They keep the piece of crap open, which pisses me off a great deal.

So who wins? Well, they are all "passionate" in their own way. However, the Wicked fans don't go often (unless their millionares) because the show itself is a hot ticket. The Rent fans go enough, but the winners are "The Phans." Utter morons.

Posted by ThankstoPhantom 2006-09-10 13:59:03

JV, thanks so much for the compliment! I'm so honored to be an utter moron!

Posted by StageManager2 2006-09-10 14:04:16

Yes, Lolita2, fanatical is a word.

Posted by coolphantom919 2006-09-10 14:26:36

RENT: 1
PHANTOM: 2
WICKED: 3

Posted by tz0o 2006-09-10 15:18:21

Geez, guys, this is one of those times in which I forgot to think about what I was writing. I *so* badly regret starting this thread that it isn't really funny. This has evolved into a huge flame war.

I am *so* sorry for starting this thread.

Oh well, I guess you live and learn.

Posted by Becoz_i_knew_you21 2006-09-10 15:23:31

"Geez, guys, this is one of those times in which I forgot to think about what I was writing. I *so* badly regret starting this thread that it isn't really funny. This has evolved into a huge flame war.

I am *so* sorry for starting this thread.

Oh well, I guess you live and learn."

Sorry but, how did you not know that was going to happen.

Posted by Mattbrain 2006-09-10 15:41:25

In all honesty, Rent and Wicked are the first two CDs on my CD tower. Phantom is on the third shelf. But I love all three shows and wouldn't mind being in one of 'em. In all honesty, I saw Phantom (when it came to Boston), then Wicked, then Rent.

Posted by OpenDoors 2006-09-10 17:18:36

Phantom phans are all either under the age of 16 or over the age of 40.

Rent and Wicked split the people left over.

Posted by EponineAmneris 2006-09-10 20:01:39

I am HUGE die-hard fan of all three shows.

I have to say I think WICKED has the "craziest" and youngest fanbase out there as it is the newest of the three, followed by RENT then PHANTOM.

PHANTOM has the biggest following worldwide, but they tend to be more mature and less likely to emote and spend hours making websites, ect

Posted by Color and Light 2006-09-10 20:26:26

The Phantom fandom is balls to the walls crazy. No, seriously. I was never a fan of the show, but I always liked the book when I was younger, and that's how I got introduced, c. 1996.

They are generally too concerned with arguing amongst themselves to bring it on to general Broadway discussion boards. Since there have been at least 4349834983499899 adaptions of the story since the book's release in 1912, it's a neverending string of "BOOK VS. MUSICAL!" "MUSICAL VS. MOVIE!!" "SARAH BRIGHTMAN VS. EMMY ROSSUM!" "X VERSION IS THE BEST VERSION" amongst a lot of fans. Especially since that crappy movie came out - there was fandom drama before, but for the most part, it was a pretty serene (albeit larger than one would suspect) fandom. The nice people still exist, though - goodness knows I'm friends with a lot of them. However, I will agree with whoever said that phans tend to be less likely to explore musical theatre outside the realm of Phantom/ALW, which can be very frustrating.

Posted by gavrochegirl 2006-09-10 21:24:02

1. RENT
2. Phantom
3. Wicked

Posted by best12bars 2006-09-10 21:28:16

Okay, I'm "fessin' up"...

I'm actually very glad and supportive of ANYONE who has a passion for Broadway.

*raises cocktail glass*

To all you freaky Rent-lovin', Phantom Phanatic, Wickedly obsessed fans out there!

*gulps*

I'm glad you're around and loving something so intensely on Broadway.

Now... leave me the hell alone.

Posted by SDav 10495 2006-09-10 22:12:34

However, I will agree with whoever said that phans tend to be less likely to explore musical theatre outside the realm of Phantom/ALW, which can be very frustrating.

Well, I like that you're at least using the words "less likely" instead of making a blanket statement.

The reason I think that tends to happen (and actually, I'm not even sure I would say it's the case with most "phans", but definitely some) is because the actors in Phantom aren't typically "Broadway" people and Phantom isn't really a "Broadway" show. A lot of the people in productions of Phantom are from an operatic or otherwise classical background, and aren't seen as much in shows like Rent and Wicked...shows with more of a "Broadway" style. The reason Rent and Wicked fans (and for the record, I think by and large both groups get far more annoying and petty than the "phans" do) seem to branch out more is because they like to follow their actors--the ones they know and love from their favorite shows--and those actors do tend to show up in a wider array of shows than do actors in Phantom. You'll be introduced to a more diverse group of shows if you follow Anthony Rapp, Idina Menzel, Norbert Leo Butz, etc. than you will if you follow, say, Hugh Panaro or Michael Crawford.

So I don't think it has anything to do with some predisposition for close-mindedness among ALW fans; I really do think it's as simple as the actors in most ALW shows, like Phantom. His original casts tend to be from London, and Broadway casts of his shows tend to be classical people; follow any one of them and you're likely to end up with an ALW show again. Were Wicked and Rent in the same situation, I doubt you'd see many of their fans branching out either.

Posted by Color and Light 2006-09-10 22:29:35

I don't think that's entirely true, SDav, though I do see your point. However, I can think of many performers who have done professional productions of both Phantom and, at they very least, Sondheims shows - though the performances have not been preserved on tape or CD. In that sense, I see what you're getting at, as many Phantom actors aren't prolific when it comes to Broadway cast recordings.

Posted by Becoz_i_knew_you21 2006-09-10 22:53:03

I am a fan of these 3 shows. But I am die-hard fan to any of these shows though. I'm just tired of people thinking that all Wicked fans are 12 year-girls who think Wicked is the best thing ever. I'm also tired of people thinking that all RENT fans think there is no better musical then Rent and if you say it's not they'll bit your head off.
You can't categorize all fans of one musical in one category.

Posted by saschasf 2006-09-11 00:54:53

Let it put it to you this way, I wasn't into going to see Wicked in SF BECAUSE of the fans. Rent has some pretty annoying fans too. I mean I'm a Renthead, but don't think it is the be all and end all of musical theater, Plus people dressing up in the costumes of the characters is so not my thing. Maybe I'm missing something, but I have NEVER seen an annying Phantom fan. Also, as has been pointed out, they tend to be older I think, so well, they have more stuff going on then just a love for this musical.

I love the songs in Rent, but think it holds a place in theatrical history, not the US or world history myself.

So as a Renthead I say:
1. Wicked
2 Rent
3. (way down there!) Phantom

Posted by millie_dillmount 2006-09-11 07:07:07

Wicked has the most crazy fans. Followed by Rent. I wouldn't say POTO has many crazy fans (although there are some out there).

I believe, however, that POTO is the most popular of the three over a longer period of time. Wicked is currently the most popular of the three, but I believe that within a few more years the crowds will start to die down and I don't think it will last as long as POTO is lasting.

Posted by MCfan2 2006-09-11 10:12:50

I wonder about this theory that "Phans" don't follow a lot of other Broadway shows. I can speak only for myself, a Phan whose CD racks are crammed with cast albums and movie musical soundtracks. (NOT the "Phantom" movie soundtrack, though. I wouldn't touch the thing with a ten-foot pole. Gerry Butler can go shriek in someone else's ear.) That's just me -- but it seems to me that when I'm at, say, the Michael Crawford fan board, people there generally love "Phantom" best and yet they're very often chatting about other musicals as well. For one thing, there seems to be a sort of process whereby, say, many people who loved Michael in "Phantom" went to see him in "Vampires" or "Woman in White," and now they go see Max von Essen or Angela Christian, etc., in whatever else they happen to be in.

And plus there are some of us "Phantom" fans who just plain love Broadway in general.

Posted by ThankstoPhantom 2006-09-11 15:49:28

I've been a phan since long before that awful film. But I also LOVE Sondheim and R&H and Cole Porter...I'm a brancher...

Many phans are just phans, not necessarily fans of musical theatre. But I'm a musical theatre fan who happens to be a phan. That's why I don't believe in generalizing.

Posted by Wanderingchild5 2006-09-11 16:45:41

1. Phantom
2. RENT
3. Wicked

Posted by broadwayfreak2 2006-09-11 16:45:50

well to me and my friend and EVERYONE i knwo practically
everyone that hears Wicked loves it ..
for me all of them are awesome .
there all three different kinds of musicals
so i cant really say which could be favorite

Posted by The Stars R Aligned 2006-09-11 19:30:46

well i have seen all 3 shows

im sorry if i do upset Phantom fans, but it wasnt really my thing
it was good, but im not into that
i lean more into the shows that are more like Wicked
Rent was good too.
so my list is

1. Wicked
2. Rent
3. Phantom

Posted by alliez92092 2006-09-11 21:15:53

I, too, am sick of categotizing the fans. Why must we fight over who's a true phan, who's a Renthead, who's a true lover of Wicked, and then the fangirls? The thing that matters is that people are passionate about something. It can get annoying, yes, but they all have passions. And that is the most important thing.

Posted by spiderdj82 2006-09-11 21:31:24

"Phantom, and all BritishAndrew Lloyd Webber musical fans, do not care for Rodgers and Hammerstein, Sondheim, Kander and Ebb among others."

That is the biggest piece of crap I have read on this board in a very long time! It's just like saying that all Sondheim fans are pretentious theatre bitches who like nothing else but Sondheim. And just for the record, I own all but two Rodgers and Hammerstein shows (including the movie soundtrack to "State Fair"), I own all but two or three Sondheim scores, and Cabaret & Chicago are among my favorite musicals. Any other generalizations you would like to do today?

Posted by spiderdj82 2006-09-11 21:33:52

Oh, and OpenDoors . . . I am 23 years old. There goes your argument right there.

Posted by jv92 2006-09-13 21:37:20

ThankstoPhantom-
I appologize for calling "phans" utter morons. Of course, there are some that just love the show as well as other pieces of musical theater that are halfway decent. The fans that do not listen to other shows, see other shows or like other shows other than Phantom are the utter morons. I also just hate the show, so anyone that gives it business is stupid. Even me. I wish I hadn't spent those forty bucks.

Posted by ThankstoPhantom 2006-09-13 21:48:21

Apology accepted...I was just upset that you generalized.

I agree to disagree with you, though, as I feel some phans are just that. I am a phan, but that's because it's near and dear to my heart, while also I explore so many different kinds of theatrical expressions at once...

Posted by MCfan2 2006-09-13 22:05:53

Having a bad day, jv92?? You sound pretty unhappy with humanity in general.

Posted by winston89 2006-09-13 22:40:51

I know that there are some people that stay away from a show such as Wicked. This is because they cannot stand the annoying 12 year old girls running around the theatre. Now, I don' let these things bother me. But, I can see how it would bother some people. I don't like how people say that a lot of RENTheads don't branch outt into other musicals. The reason that this is, is because many people who are now RENTheads just didn't like musical theatre in general till they saw RENT. I have ran into several people at the show that felt fit into this catagory. Now, I am a RENThead and I have seen the show over a dozen times. Now, I go alone so I mostly talk to members of the cast after the show who know who I am and house staff who know who I am as well. But, there are a lot of really ANNOYING fans that go on and on and on about one particular actor or another to the point where it is just obserd.

And to the person who said that the show is dated. It can't be dated. It is only ten years old and the stuff that it talks about is just as strong as it was then. Most people say its dated cus of the whole AIDS thing. But, People stil have and whatnot.

Wicked is great I have seen that show five times. I would see it another five times as well. I can see why its worth the hype.

Now onto phantom where I can really have fun. I am a person who easilly says what they think. I think phantom is a load of crap. Webber sucks as a composer. the only discussion I have gotten into with a "fan" (Note: I am not spelling fan with a 'PH' because there is only one group that deserves to have their name spelled that way and that is Phish R.I.P) is that I think it sucks and Webber can't write a good score to save his life. Being that I have never gotten into or heard a stupid discussion from a phantom fan I think that phantom fans are the easiest to deal with. Second are RENTheads because a lot of them are just nice people in general. The worst fans to deal with are wicked fans because they are all annoying 12 year old girls running around.

Posted by Raviolisun 2006-09-13 22:52:19

I mean, definitely it has to be Wicked fans, but it really is not fair to generalize. I mean, some of us like Wicked, and we are actually fans of lots of other musical theater. Sure, an overwhelming amount of Wicked fans are screaming young girls, but really, you can love other theater and be a mature person, and still be entertained by this show.

Sorry about the rant.

Posted by Becoz_i_knew_you21 2006-09-13 23:29:39

Raviolisun,I completely agree with your post. I mean I can't say I like Wicked without people thinking, I think Wicked is the best musical ever. I love Sondheimn Guettel, Michael John Michael John LaChiusa, and Jason Robert Brown. Basically I like just about everything. I wish people would just stop assuming about anyone who like Wicked, Rent, Or Phantom. I like all these shows but, am not a "hardcore" fan to any of them.

Posted by SporkGoddess 2006-09-14 11:47:13

Well, when I saw the RENT tour there were people in the front row who were standing up and singing. In fact, in an interview Lea Salonga said that she couldn't really judge RENT because it was so hard to hear the music with the rowdy audience. I know someone who saw people standing up on the chairs during RENT. From my experience, a lot of the fans treat it like a concert.

Of course, that was before Wicked. Maybe now RENTheads have calmed down. But when I saw the movie it was the first showing, and everyone besides me--mostly teenagers, may I say--was acting in a similar fashion: singing along, dancing, calling out, etc.

As for Phans, it depends. While I hate the show, I do love the novel so I know and am friends with quite a lot of Phans; I was actually surprised by how most admit that it's not a very good score, and it has awful lyrics, but they like it anyway. And I'm fine with that. What exasperates me about Phans is, as many have said, a great deal of them refuse to acknowledge any other show out there. Of course, eventually they usually do. From experience, I've found that they usually move onto another more mainstream one, like Les Mis. And, well, I think a lot of us started out with Les Mis, even though it may have been much earlier (for me, it was in the first grade, for instance.) So we can't really roll our eyes--tempting though it may be--if they're trying to broaden their musical horizons.

As for during the show, when I saw Phantom I had no trouble with the audience. Online is probably where I've gotten more of a negative experience with them. But, well, there are plenty of phans who are intelligent and have diverse taste in musicals. A lot make fun of ALW, especially after he approved the casting of Emmy Rossum and Gerard Butler.

Honestly, I'd say that the scariest group can be the Sondheim fans. They're usually intelligent, yes, but they can also be quite intimidating and snobby. If you dare to say that you dislike one Sondheim show, quite a few will just go "oh, you didn't understand it." They can accept no flaws about him.

Then again, I guess I'm sort of similar about Jason Robert Brown. We all have our fangirlish/boyish tendencies.

Posted by KQuill 2006-09-14 12:16:04

3-Rent
2-Wicked
1-Phantom

Being a longtime phan, and i'm only 18, it is difficult to see Phantom getting trashed on here all the time. But we choose to grin and bare it, not dignifying the unsupported bashing of the show that we see so frequently.

I STRONGLY disagree with the notion that Phantom is not a "broadway musical".

-Firstly, the cast of Phantom is mostly made up of broadway performers. In fact, they prefer to hire broadway people because they are more durable for all 8 shows per week than opera people. In the current cast, only three members are opera singers, and two of them have other BROADWAY credits. The third came straight out of college.

-Secondly, many serious phans are certainly into many other kinds of shows and to say that we are closed minded to them is ridiculous.

Posted by winston89 2006-09-14 12:32:47

I can understand where Lea Salonga is comming from. When I go see it on broadway people cheer like a rock concert. But like at a rock concert they always cheer at certin points. For example, during the start of out tonight everyone goes nuts. But what most people forget is that RENT is one of the only shows on broadway where it's ok to treat it like a rock concert. Most people have gotten int RENT because they don't like the typical musical and they like RENT because it is the exact oppisite of an average Broadway musical.

The RENTheads mostly know how to keep it approprate during the show. It's ok to cheer at the beginning of the show when everyone comes out and at the start of some songs. But they ususally cheer and it dies down and the show goes on. I have never heard anyone sing along while the show was going. I have and have seen other people mouth the words but that is ok. Also, RENT has the feel of a rock concert and uses real rock music not the sugar coated rock and roll you would hear from a show like Tommy or ASU

Posted by WickedRentEder 2006-09-14 14:15:29

I just think the demographic for all shows is different. You see more old biddies getting in line for Phantom and more teeny boppers in line for Rent & Wicked. Right now, I'd say Wicked fans are the most insane (b/c it's the 'hot' show mainly) but Rent fans are not too far behind.

Posted by tinadoll 2006-09-14 14:18:51

I am going to give my own perseptive on this so bare with me

I have seen all three and i must say each of their fan bases are different

I will start with the Wicked fans. I have seen the show. The production is phenominal. The songs are ok. They also have a really screwed up discount ticket system. And they are kinda stuck up at the theatre. I would be too if i have to deal with the fans. Everytime i am there its the same crowd. Pre teen and teen girls from the Midwest. Thats all i see. They show is not even that memorable.

Then there are the RENT fans. Either teen gay kids or stuck up yuppies/hippies who go to NYU. The music sucks and there is only one set.Even though I don't pay full price,if i was to pay full price it would be a rip off. Like the Drousy Chapeorne. Thats another story.Don't even get me started about RENT the movie. Did i mention the stars are stuck up? I had to deliver tickets to Anthony Rapp once, he was a major douche bag. And this is after i saw the show. I wasn't impressed.

I am a Phantom "Phan" as you can see by the avatar i have. But i have also enjoyed many many other Broadway shows including Cabaret,The Wedding Singer,1776, Sweeny Todd ETC. I love Rogers and Hammerstein as well as Candor and Ebb,So that accusation is actually non existent with me. I have dealt with a lot of Phans- Very normal and nice bunch of ladies. That doesn't mean there aren't wackos. Some follow certial actors who have played the role with a passion. An example of this is the "Panarophiles" Who follow former phantom Hugh Panaro. I have met and worked for productions he has been in,he is a nice fellow and he was very good in the role of the Phantom. But his "fans" tick me off. They are obsessive and don't know when to quit.I even know the keep giving stupid gifts.You wouldn't believe the stuff i had to throw out that they brought him. He is a grown man. Quit bringing him flowers and stuffed animals. Can you believe they have the nerve to constantly enter the Equity and pester people so the Lestat soundtrack can come out
Um no sorry not happening. Unless you want to hear Eltons version. But whatever i have the bootleg.

Thats actually my biggest problem with the Rent/Wicked fans ,as well as any "devoted" fans.Its not just about just one show. And quit acting like snobs

Posted by KQuill 2006-09-14 16:58:29

haha oh yeah the Panarophiles. I thought it was interesting how they pronounced themselves as Hugh's "fan club", but with no real way of getting into it...just to be one of their friends I guess. Anyways, at first I found it annoying that I could not be part of Hugh's fan club, but then I realized that I don't really want to be lumped in with them...

Posted by SDav 10495 2006-09-14 17:12:42

I STRONGLY disagree with the notion that Phantom is not a "broadway musical".

That's not exactly what I meant when I said Phantom isn't really a "Broadway" show. Believe me, I'm not out to get Phantom.

First off, let me get this off my chest--I think it's my first time saying it on BWW--although I love many other shows by many other composers, and although I recognize that Phantom is nowhere near the be all and end all of theatre, it is (admittedly mostly for sentimental purposes) my favorite musical of all time. It's turned out to be the one thing I can come back to over and over again, even after year-long stretches of not listening to the music. Although I understand where many of the show's (and ALW's) detractors come from, it frustrates me to see Phantom denounced the way it is by the "elite", many of whom fail to see the show's artistic strengths simply because they don't want to. There. I said it.

Second, back to the comment at hand, what I meant was that it's not a show in the typical "Broadway" style--meaning it's not the brass-woodwind-percussion all-American "jazz hands" song and dance show that most associate with the word "musical". I know that the people in the show are Broadway actors--that would be stupid of me to refute seeing as they're on Broadway, wouldn't it?--but they're mostly not "Broadway people". By that I mean that most people in the show are from a more classical background than from a traditional musical theatre background--and that's also something that would be stupid to refute, because they have to be classically trained to sing the score properly (please forget the foul-up that was the movie casting). I put "Broadway" in quotation marks to denote that I meant it in the stylistic and the cultural sense--I was not implying anything derogatory about the "status" of the show or its actors. I was merely commenting on Phantom's style, and I certainly didn't mean any disrespect.

Posted by ThankstoPhantom 2006-09-14 18:07:35

SDAV...I'm a phan for the exact reason for you loving it so much...Ic an go on for a LONG time without listening to it, but will always love it...I only consider myself a phan because it's so sentimental and special to me. I'll never tire of it, despite having had many other shows find me to be their fans...

Posted by actor 2006-09-14 18:20:15

I think that Wicked fans are definitely the craziest. This is because it is a show aimed at youth and young adults. I think it is no longer worthy of being called a "new musical" but more of a "hit musical". I'm not so sure it will ever be considered a classic however simply because of the rabid fans. Some people go way over the top and are really obsessed. They have dramatic fights and arguments over who is a better Elphaba and Glinda. They pay thousands of dollars for tickets to see it 25 times. Wicked is all they ever think about. The list goes on. My main point is that Wicked is a craze that will burn out quickly because of the fact that it is now on tour, in Chicago, in NYC, in the UK, and is opening all over the world. Wicked's little "empire" will soon collapse when fans grow out of Wicked and realize there are better things in life than the line "So if you care to find me" when Elphaba goes up the lift.

Second comes the Rent fans. Rent is a show that never really had rabid fans simply because of the more mature concepts. Some people really like the show simply because it's a fantastic show. No one really is obsessed with it. No one is really obsessed with one line and will sell their soul just to be a lead character in it. Rent fans are more tame and therefore Rent will run for a long time.

Third comes Phantom fans. Everyone mature enough to truly appreciate musical theatre likes Phantom (for the most part -- no offense to those who don't like it). The Phantom of the Opera is a fabulous show that will run forever and will always attract audiences of all ages. However, no one really is obsessed with Phantom because it is a very mature musical. There are no loud bangs where someone comes flying across the stage and up through a trap door. There are no scenes where someone lifts off the ground and belts at the top of their lungs. Because Phantom is more tame, it bores most young people and therefore does not have rabid fans.

That's my opinion.

Posted by AngelDumottSchunard 2006-09-14 23:21:52

1. RENT
2. RENT
3. RENT

Posted by vbplayer 2006-09-15 00:07:58

"It's only because a lot of the Rent fans are older now."

"Their freakiness has been subdued by Father Time. Soon, they'll all be "Rent Curmudgeons." Passive, bitchy... and generally calm."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And to this "dear" poster.......you will one day fall into this unfortunately titled category. Prepare for it. It's creeping up on you too........get ready for it. It can't be stopped.

And for the record, I can't stand "Rent".

Have a nice day.

Posted by Copeman63 2006-09-15 02:06:45

If it matters, Phantom probably would win, because it's fans are still interested enough to read this page, and not to be bothered with growing pubic hair.

Posted by Fosse76 2006-09-15 12:22:13

"I just think the demographic for all shows is different. You see more old biddies getting in line for Phantom and more teeny boppers in line for Rent & Wicked."

No, you don't. According to polling and on-site surveys, Wicked's audience is the average for all Broadway shows...i.e., the average age was in the late fories. While its fanbase may skew younger, the theater-audience makeup is typical of any standard Broadway show. The same goes for RENT. I would say that Wicked's and RENT's fanbase is passionate and loud, but Phantom's borders on psychotic. I was a phan for a few years in college, and let me tell you these people are nuts. If you dare to think the Phantom is mean or evil, they hire a hit man to silence you. If you dare to say you like Raul, they shun you. I can go on and on. But at least neither RENT nor Wicked have a had a fan legally change their name to match the name of the character (Christine Daae). They are just all out lunatics. I read a few message boards before the movie came out and nothing that was being done would please them. Lunatics!

Posted by tinadoll 2006-09-15 13:09:46

Fosse76: Are you kidding me? Thats not all the Phantom fans out there. You are giving us a bad name.As i said before in my response: There are the normal fans and there are absolute psychotics. I know for a fact that Phantom fans are older and Rent/Wicked fans are younger.

Posted by WickedRentEder 2006-09-15 13:32:25

Well, it's no secret that the average audience for Broadway is older as a lot of teenagers/20-somethings can't afford the sometimes $100+ in tickets. However, I'm sorry but Rent/Wicked is FULL of teenyboppers screaming their lungs out, where as the Phantom crowd is more 'subdued' at least in the theater.

Fosse76, what you mentioned about the Phantom 'phan base' happens with ALL shows, however, I think it's more visible in the teeny boppers screaming like well, girls outside the stage doors! There aren't a lot of teens waiting for Hugh Panaro or anyone from Phantom.

People really change their name to fit a character?? Sheesh! I'm sure glad no one's real name is Elphaba, although I did know s Glenda in elementary school (different spelling, I know) :)

Posted by Marius_Pontmercy 2012-10-25 20:07:50

Well, I know this is really late but I've seen many Broadway shows. When I saw Wicked, it was pretty cool, FOR LIKE A DAY. Then (unlike most Wicked fans) got over it within a day. I liked it, but the story lacked dimension. It seemed like every other story, the outcast likes the pretty rich boy the popular girl gets the boy but somehow the outcast gets the boy in the end. Hairspray, The Phantom of the Opera, Marius/Cosette/Eponine love triangle in Les Miserables just to name a few that have a story just like
. And half of them were written almost 20 years before Wicked.
For the fans, Wicked fans are probably the craziest. But thats because of the tweens/teens. The Phantom of the Opera's fans are a little more mature. I am a "phan" but I'm not a pschyo one! I see about 2 or 3 12 year olds at Phantom when I go. Most of them are in their late teenage years, or 5.

Posted by Quiche2 2012-10-25 20:12:43

Im sick of all this "12 year old girls" are wickeds only fans. I'm. A 17 year old guy and I'm a huge fan. But is there much difference between the two? Not really.

Posted by beltingbaritone 2012-10-25 20:27:23

^AHA! I laughed out loud. That was funny.

Lolz.

Posted by SweeneyPhanatic 2012-10-26 00:00:49

I was thinking earlier about starting a thread, probably in the off topic section, about how we all came up with our screen names, but this thread actually ties into mine so never mind.

Personally, I'd lump myself into the more sane spectrum of the Phans. I've only seen the show twice on tour, but I do pop in the video of the Albert Hall performance every now and then. I can see and hear everything that is wrong with the show, but it has yet to stop me from enjoying every second of it. It was the second show I got really excited about (the first was Chicago, which I've still yet to see live) Ans for that reason alone of holds a special place in my heart. It also introduced me to Andrew Lloyd Webber, and eventually led me to one of most favorite musicals ever, Evita. However, I don't bow down and worship every ALW score ever written. Joseph makes me cringe, and I've yet to complete the Woman in White album without falling asleep. But I do appreciate his work, and, call me dumb if you like, I think it's almost clever of him to write maybe a handful of melodies and somehow arrange them into 2 or more hours of songs.

On the other hand, I DO bow down and worship every Sondheim score. I've yet to ever be disappointed with any of the recordings I've heard, nor with the few professional productions I've been lucky enough to see (but please don't make me relive that God awful Into the Woods Jr. I had to endure at Thespian Conference in high school).

As for Wicked: I saw the tour the first time it played Atlanta. I enjoyed myself, but it's not a show that's stuck in my memory like some others have. If I see it again, it will only be as a gift to my mother, who really, REALLY wants to see it.

Rent: I saw the movie first and couldn't believe that THAT was the show all of my friends had been raving about. I avoided Rent as much as I could, the movie was so bad, to me. When the DVD was released of the "final" performance, I bought it just to see if it could change my feelings (nausea and rage) towards the show. Now at least I do appreciate the show foe whatit was, but I'm in no hurry to see it live. I will, eventually, but I can live if I never do.

What continues to bother me are the people who put all of these shows on pedestals as if Rent, Phantom, and Wicked are the greatest things to ever happen to musical theatre. At school it was easy to weed out the serious theatre majors from the people who would eventually change their majors by trying to talk about theatre with them. When Wicked/Rent came up and was declared the BEST MUSICAL EVER, I LOVE IT SO MUCH, LIKE, IT CHANGED MY LIFE, then it was a safe bet they wouldn't be around within a year. Phantom never came up much, really, except as an afterthought to most talks about theatre.

So, yeah, I'm glad these shows exist and can help usher in mew generations of theatre patrons, but I do get tired of the MEGA FANS who put them on pedestals and ignore almost any other show ever.

If it matters, I'm 22, and the only show I put on a pedestal is Gypsy. And apologies for any typos. Small touch screen keyboards are not fat thumb friendly.

Posted by Nickhutson 2012-10-26 03:38:33

My two cents:

1) Phantom (success all over the world for 25 years)
2) WIcked (success all over the world for 10 years)
3) Rent (success only in the US for 15 years)

Posted by Princeton Returns 2012-10-26 17:31:01

Personally id have to go with Phantom, certainly in the UK anyway. They had been dorment but LND, the 25th performance and new tour has really brought them out in droves. And now they have the internet unlike when it first opened. The age range is often more varied but the fact so many are women 30+ adds a slight sadness to it. Wickeds fans do generally have the excuse of youth on their side and are just annoying

I know for a fact cast members of phantom, mainly the man himself, have problems with extreme/stalker type fans. And if you look at fan bases of actors who have played him they all have that crazy component within them. Wiyh some being blocked on twitter etc

Id also say, again in London, that jersey boys, les mis and michael ball have some seriously scary fans

Posted by broadway guy 2012-10-27 11:53:55

I actually think Les Mis has the best behaved fans.It is certainly better than wicked,rent and phantom.For the most part everyone respects Les Mis.All four shows are great though.

I actually think the worst fans are the Sondheim fans.They just come off as really snobby.Of course not all of them are like that.On this board it seems like if you don't like sondheim than you are a moron 12 year old girl who thinks wicked is th best musical ever.I like Sondheim but I don't think all his work is great.