Printer Friendly - Tell me about CINDERELLA

Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted by Pammylicious 2012-11-07 17:07:49

Is this going to be based on the original remake television production with Leslie Ann Warren or is there a new book? Wasn't it a Disney production in 1965? I love the music and can't wait to see this.

Laura Osnes is one of my favorites right now. Perfect Cindy.

Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted by Wilmingtom 2012-11-07 17:16:10

Completely re-imagined by Douglas Carter Beane but using the R&H songs.

Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted by Pammylicious 2012-11-07 17:19:33

Is this the first time this is going to be on Broadway? If so, it's going to be a pretty difficult ticket to get.

Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted by dramamama611 2012-11-07 17:22:24

Yes, but that isn't a guarantee of anything. Personally, I have no desire to see it.

Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted by FANtomFollies 2012-11-07 17:23:12

Praying the new book is better than Lyssie Jones.

Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted by CATSNYrevival 2012-11-07 17:40:09

Nothing was wrong with the old book. I'm not really interested in seeing this one.

Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted by Pammylicious 2012-11-07 18:05:38

well how much can you change the story of Cinderella and her wicked stepmother and sisters....

Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted by bwayphreak234 2012-11-07 18:15:26

I just can't wait to see Anna Louiznos's set design.

Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted by goldenboy 2012-11-07 18:39:11

The slipper fits and she gets the prince in the end.

Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted by CurtainPullDowner 2012-11-07 18:49:11

SPOILER ALERT!

Pleaseeee....

Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted by Jordan Catalano 2012-11-07 18:59:27

I'm told it's going to be a very "updated" book. And that scares me.

Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted by Pammylicious 2012-11-07 19:04:29

So no gorgeous ballroom gowns or golden carriages. This I would not like one bit!

Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted by darquegk 2012-11-07 19:29:12

I did the "original book" production a few years ago, before they licensed the "Music In You" tour edition.

It ran VERY short, barely over an hour, and the book was extremely lean and extremely earnest. Almost no jokes, if I remember. Very straightforward vanilla Cinderella. Whether or not the new book will be any good remains to be seen, but I'm certain tehre will at least be more of it.

Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted by CATSNYrevival 2012-11-07 19:46:18

^By "old book" I was actually referring to the tour version by Tom Briggs. I really liked that one.

Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted by darquegk 2012-11-07 20:09:40

I have heard that the tour book is vastly superior to the original version.

Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted by Phantom4ever 2012-11-07 20:18:43

The high school I work at just produced Cinderella last spring and I was surprised at how hard I fell in love with that R&H score. Just beautiful.

With that said, the book was nothing special. I noticed one of the other posters characterized it as "vanilla". I would agree, except for one line by the Stepmother. When she is leaving the kitchen scene toward the beginning, she says she is on her way to get a massage. She says "sometimes all I need is a good pounding. Or at least that's what your father used to always say. "

We performed 3 nights, and only one night did it get a "ohhhhhhhh" from the audience.

Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted by Dollypop 2012-11-07 21:52:59

There really isn't much to the story of CINDERELLA. Disney padded it with birds and animals coming to Cindy's rescue, but even the animated film isn't more than 90 minutes.

About 25 years ago I directed the version that the R&H Library was leasing. Its book was rather lean, too. With the Library's permission, I added a few scenes and brought the stepmother on stage.

It was a successful production but the libretto wasn't its stron point.

Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted by degrassifan 2012-11-07 21:54:17

I think it's going to be a great production. I wish I was able to see it! I'm more excited about Ever After though, but this should be just as good! Then again, the Cinderella story is my favorite fairy tale and I welcome all incarnations of it, so I may be biased.

Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted by degrassifan 2012-11-07 21:57:17

Dollypop, I think there is so much one can do with the Cinderella story. Just look at various versions like Ever After, The Slipper and the Rose, Ella Enchanted, The Glass Slipper, A Cinderella Story, etc. When I took a Disney class and we got to the Cinderella topic, we analyzed to death both the original by Perrault and the German version by the Grimm, and while it comes off as a simple story, there's just so much detail to explore.

Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted by darquegk 2012-11-07 22:14:09

The "good pounding" line is the only one I remember in the original script as well... Is it in the tour version as well?

Everyone in the cast wondered if that entendre was intended by R&H or not- it seems not only out of character for their work, but for the earnest joke-free nature of the rest of the script.

Also, in that version, I believe Cinderella has the awkward catch phrase of "Oh, la!"

Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted by CATSNYrevival 2012-11-07 22:32:27

^That pounding line is definitely not in the tour version. Sounds too misogynistic.

Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted by WiCkEDrOcKS 2012-11-07 23:21:47

If there are dumb ass Twitter jokes in this, I will be so pissed.

Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted by Wilmingtom 2012-11-08 14:50:45

I understand there are going to be a lot of surprises. He's keeping it period but there are several clever plot twists.

I really like the Briggs adaptation as well. I loved the idea that the Fairy Godmother is an incarnation of Cinderella's mother, and doesn't step in to help until Cinderella takes responsibility for herself. Setting the transformation scene in a pumpkin patch was also a nice idea.

Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted by finebydesign 2012-11-08 15:54:16

"Is this the first time this is going to be on Broadway? If so, it's going to be a pretty difficult ticket to get."

This show will be lucky to weather the winter.

Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted by Smaxie 2012-11-08 16:03:08

God, you are a nasty piece of work.

Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted by finebydesign 2012-11-08 16:17:22

I'm just being rational. I don't understand where all these "family" audiences are going to come from. Look at all the new family shows coming this season. It's gonna be bumpy.

The music sure is lovely, but there is no star and it's competing with Annie, and FINALLY something new... Matilda. Not to mention the holiday shows and the Disney (Lion King, Mary Poppins, NEWSIES!!) shows currently on Broadway.

Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted by Smaxie 2012-11-08 16:23:18

I'm sure the Cinderella producers have looked around and know what else is on the boards. The family shows will all rise or fall as business sees fit, but no one needs your voice consigning them to an early grave.

Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted by Pammylicious 2012-11-08 19:22:22

And lets not forget all the mothers and grandmothers who will take their kids who remember the magic of the original television productions.

I wish they had found a role for Lesley Ann and Stuart (King and Queen perhaps). That would have made is extra special.

Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted by degrassifan 2012-11-09 16:48:40

Just from reading the character descriptions, I think we're in for a different take on the tale. Sounds a little like a combination of Ever After, Ella Enchanted, and The Glass Slipper, with major influence from the Perrault telling (where the younger stepsister is nicer than the older one), but I'm excited nonetheless!

Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted by Mister Matt 2012-11-09 18:12:29

Personally, I do think this show has the potential to be quite delightful and popular. I think it may fare pretty well on Broadway.

Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted by CATSNYrevival 2012-11-09 18:18:21

Her name is Ella in this version? No thanks.

Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted by howardbf 2012-11-09 18:46:55

The shoe fits.

Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted by darquegk 2012-11-09 19:00:32

Well, at least the characters will appear to have personalities in this version- the original book had very little for anyone other than a mild coarseness for the Stepsisters and a few silly rhymes for the Godmother.

Will the script be any good? Who knows yet?

Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted by degrassifan 2012-11-09 19:26:05

Well, I'm sure she's still called Cinderella (mainly by Madame and Charlotte), but Ella may be her birth name.

Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted by broadwayguy2 2012-11-09 19:59:55

"Ella" has always been her name. Cinderella, as anyone who has read the story knows, is a nickname. Perhaps all this means is that the playwright has elected to refer to her be her actual name in his script, not the nickname other characters will - by necessity - be referring to her as. It indicates nothing other than a well rounded reading of the character at this point.

Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted by CATSNYrevival 2012-11-09 20:04:31

^It was the same in the tour, but no one ever called her Ella.

Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted by broadwayguy2 2012-11-09 20:14:00

It stands to reason that Douglas Carter Beane's written script will refer to as "Ella", characters who mock her will use "Cinderella" and the only debaable point is whether or not her friends - as inidicated she has in the breakdown - will use "Ella" or "Cinderella."

There is nothing to take issue with that than HOPING to have something to complain about. Frankly, if in a stage adaption of The Wizard of Oz, I noted that the playwright referred to the Wizard by his given name of "Oscar Diggs", I wouldn't worry about what the other characters would call him. They'd refer to him as the Wizard of the Great Oz, per usual. I would only smile to myself that the playwright / bookwriter had done his homework and was using the knowedge in the written script.

Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted by Pammylicious 2013-01-15 11:40:01

Bumping this thread because I got my ticket for the show today 2/20. First time I paid full asking price for a ticket (even though it is in the rear mezz). I have a feeling this will be a great success and tickets will be hard to come by.

Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted by suestorm 2013-01-15 12:47:16

Pammy, this is going to be HUGE!! cant wait!!

Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted by finebydesign 2013-01-15 14:22:25

"First time I paid full asking price for a ticket (even though it is in the rear mezz)."

WHY?????

The show is already discounted!

BroadwayBox Special discount ticket offer for Rodgers and Hammerstein's CINDERELLA:

Save up to $47.50

JANUARY 25 – FEBRUARY 14, 2013
Monday–Thursday: $39.50 – $79.50
(reg. $45–$127)
Friday–Sunday: $49.50 – $89.50
(reg. $55–$137)

FEBRUARY 15 – MARCH 6, 2013
Tuesday–Thursday: $39.50 – $89.50
(reg. $45–$127)
Friday–Sunday: $49.50 – $99.50
(reg. $55–$137)

Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted by finebydesign 2013-01-15 14:23:36

An PS! Who in the hell would pay $137.00 for a seat to Cinderella? Maybe if Beyonce herself was in it. But jeesh!

Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted by CarlosAlberto 2013-01-15 14:25:51

God you're a nasty piece of work.

Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted by suestorm 2013-01-15 14:27:41

"An PS! Who in the hell would pay $137.00 for a seat to Cinderella? Maybe if Beyonce herself was in it. But jeesh! "

I would! i love Cinderella, love laura, love santino!

Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted by Pammylicious 2013-01-15 15:41:12

I paid $45 for a front rear mezzanine....going with a group.....if I bought the ticket any other way I would be charged fees so it's a win win...

This is a sweet memory from childhood. Beyonce would be a horrid Ella. Laura will be great singing "In my own little corner".

Oh and BOM was discounted at the beginning. We all know how that turned out.

Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted by suestorm 2013-01-15 16:37:03

My Dad paid full price for us,for christmas but we got really great seats! i agree about Beyonce, not a fan!

Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted by CHOOKA2 2013-01-15 16:50:14

As long as Cinderella doesn't say--'awesome !'

Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted by SNAFU 2013-01-15 17:59:47

No she says "Rad!"

Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted by gstrus2 2013-01-15 20:19:43

Do you think a friday Feb 8 show will be on TDF?

Tell me about CINDERELLA (and finebydesign)
Posted by RaisedOnMusicals 2013-01-15 20:43:45

The R& H songs are from the original 1957 TV production starring Julie Andrews, produced again about 10 years later starring LeslieyAnn Warren and done one more time, in 1997 (a Disney production) that starred Whitney Houston, Brandy (as Cinderella), Whoopy Goldberg and Bernadette Peters.

These were all PRECEEDED by a Disney animated full length feature in 1950, that also had some songs we know, e.g. "A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes" and "Bibbity Bobbity Boo." The R&H music is indeed better.

This production, never having been produced on Broadway before, is obviously using the R&H score along with a couple of their trunk songs, one of which was a late cut from The Sound of Music. The book, as has been mentioned previously, has been completely rewritten with what I've heard from listening to some of the interviews are some "twists", that apparently put Cinderella in a position to save Prince Charming (from what I don't know and they haven't said). And it's also evident from listening to the cast interviews that they are going to rely in large part on some very intricate stage magic for certain "transformations."

The show has a great cast, with two Tony winners, and I for one am excited about it.

I have to add that our poster "finebydesign" seems to have it in for this production in a very personal way, as he or she is so filled with vitriol about this show that it has to be more that a prediction of failure. I wonder if he or she was expecting some role in the production (a designer of sort) and it didn't come to pass. This is sheer speculation, of course. It's also interesting that this poster does not have a profile. And he or she seems to be challenged a bit as to the calendar, in that finebydesign predicts that the show won't weather the winter, and given that it opens March 3 and winter ends on March 20, that's pretty bold to say the least.

Posted by CarlosAlberto 2013-01-15 20:59:14

nevermind finebydesign, he/she is a nasty piece of work. amanda seyfried would be APPALLED he/she is using her photo as an avatar.

Posted by degrassifan 2013-01-15 21:24:28

Omg, finebydesign, calm down! You just REALLLLLLY want this show to fail for some odd reason.

Posted by Dessie 2013-01-15 21:40:33

Looking forward to it as we'll-curious how she saves the prince

Posted by suestorm 2013-01-16 09:00:00

i read for a part in this script, no OMGs or Awesomes but there is a reference to FB, and the Prince does rap about finding Ella and finding her innersoul....

Posted by RaisedOnMusicals 2013-01-16 10:08:32

Never knew that R&H wrote any rap. :)

Posted by finebydesign 2013-01-16 10:35:01

"but there is a reference to FB, and the Prince does rap about finding Ella and finding her innersoul"

innovative!

Posted by suestorm 2013-01-16 10:35:59

I was joking about the rap and FB, i shouldve put a smileyor lol in there!

Posted by RaisedOnMusicals 2013-01-16 14:55:06

"Nevermind finebydesign, he/she is a nasty piece of work. amanda seyfried would be APPALLED he/she is using her photo as an avatar."

CarlosAlberto, it would be nice to see he/she step up and explain his/her hatred of a show that hasn't even had its first preview yet. He/she claims to be rational, but the vitriol of the posts are completely irrational. Maybe the show will flop, but can't we at least expect it to open before predicting this degree of failure? To me it just seems so personal. Very cowardly, in my opinion.

Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted by finebydesign 2013-01-16 15:08:01

"it would be nice to see he/she step up and explain his/her hatred of a show that hasn't even had its first preview yet."

Hating the show and assuming it will tank at the box office are two different things. I do not hate the show, frankly I think it was really great television. I love the idea of updating and adapting it. I can't wait to see what see what changes have been made.

That all said, I cannot understand why it is opening on Broadway. It seems like a HUGE financial risk and the "family show" competition is pretty tough right now. I don't think this show belongs on Broadway nor do I believe they can sell tickets for $137.

Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted by suestorm 2013-01-16 15:20:25

FINEBYDESIGN is just a negative nellie. ive seen her posts on other threads and all she does is criticize with nothing to back her up, like shes some sort of expert. kinda sad this is how she gets her kicks.

Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted by qolbinau 2013-01-16 15:25:05

Maybe. But you don't have to be an expert to predict a Broadway show will fail because statistically most do, so you would likely be right just to blindly guess it would fail, lol. And I do think the show might have an uphill climb with a very large theatre to fill, competition and no stars.