WAKE UP with BroadwayWorld - Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - Billy's Back, Moretz at the Public, York's 'MARY MARTIN' and More!
Good morning, BroadwayWorld! Because we know all our readers eat, sleep and breathe Broadway, what could be better than waking up to it? For your most important theatre meal of the day, we've rounded up the big news you missed yesterday, what's on the agenda today, and a few extras to start your day off right.
The Bacon: See what's on the griddle today...
- Tony-winning KINKY BOOTS star Billy Porter releases his new solo album BILLY'S BACK ON BROADWAY today!
- Chloe Grace Moretz plays a survivor of a school shooting in THE LIBRARY, opening tonight at The Public Theater.
- Also beginning tonight are York Theatre Company's world premiere revue INVENTING MARY MARTIN and a new edition to the FUERZA BRUTA family - WAYRA!
- BEAUTY AND THE BEAST star Susan Egan will be "The Bell of Broadway" at 54 Below tonight...
- And finally, Playwrights Horizons' FLY BY NIGHT cast meets the press today, so stay tuned for photos later on!
Cup of Joe: Perk up and revisit yesterday's big stories...
- Annie Baker's THE FLICK won the 2014 Pulitzer Prize for Drama and will be remounted in New York soon!
- Annette Bening might take the stage opposite John Lithgow in KING LEAR at Shakespeare in the Park this summer...
- Leave room on your musical theatre playlist for the HEATHERS: THE MUSICAL cast recording, out this June; plus, JAMES AND THE GIANT PEACH is on the hunt for the right actor to play the titular 'James' for the musical's cast recording!
- Alexa Ray Joel collapsed while performing at Cafe Carlyle this weekend, but she's feeling better, thank goodness!
- The 2014 Olivier Awards were held on Sunday night at London's Royal Opera House, and Bernadette Peters performed a song from FOLLIES! Be sure to peruse the rest of BWW's West End site for our full Oliviers coverage.
- The UK's X FACTOR musical I CAN'T SING might be drawing mixed reviews across the pond, but that's not stopping the producers from considering a Broadway run...
- BUNHEADS and Broadway star Sutton Foster will be returning to the small screen in the new TV Land series YOUNGER!
- And last but not least, watch Episode 4 of SUBMISSIONS ONLY Season 3 only on BWW here!
Broadway Weather Forecast: There are Giants in the sky!/There are big tall terrible Giants in the sky! Rainy, high of 62 with afternoon thunderstorms.
Quote of the Day: Who is your scaffolding?
"My family were broadminded enough to support me when I wanted to pursue a life in the theatre."
-- Peter Gallagher
Video of the Day: Check out this behind-the-scenes look at the creation of Billy Porter's new album, out today!
And finally, a Happy Birthday shout-out to Emma Thompson, who turns 55 today!
Thompson just appeared opposite Bryn Terfel in this year's New York Philharmonic production of SWEENEY TODD. She starred in the West End in 1985's ME AND MY GIRL. The production went on to run for eight years (Thompson played the role for 15 months). Her first film role was opposite Jeff Goldblum in The Tall Guy. She later worked alongside Kenneth Branagh (then her husband) in many Shakespearean film adaptations, including A Midsummer Night's Dream, King Lear and Much Ado About Nothing. Among her celebrated film credits are Howards End, The Remains of the Day, In the Name of the Father, Sense and Sensibility, Angels in America, and, more recently, the Harry Potter series, Love Actually, Stranger than Fiction, Brave and Saving Mr. Banks.
See you bright and early tomorrow, BroadwayWorld!