WAKE UP with BWW 7/14/14 - PAGEANT, THE ADDAMS FAMILY at the Muny, Justin Timberlake, Bastille Day and More!
Good morning, BroadwayWorld! Because we know all our readers eat, sleep and breathe Broadway, what could be better than waking up to it? Today's big news: PAGEANT returns to the stage, Rob McClure and Jenny Powers star in THE ADDAMS FAMILY in St. Louis, and Tony-winner Lena Hall and more gather at 54 Below to belt out songs by Justin Timberlake!
Now, join us in singing a rousing chorus of LES MISERABLES' "Do You Hear The People Sing?" in honor of Bastille Day!
Do you hear the people sing?
Singing a song of angry men?
It is the music of a people
Who will not be slaves again!
When the beating of your heart
Echoes the beating of the drums
There is a life about to start
When tomorrow comes!
TODAY'S TOP ITEMS:
- PAGEANT - THE MUSICAL opens again off-Broadway tonight!
- Also off-Broadway, Second Stage's MALA HIERBA (more here) and The Amoralists THE GYRE begin performances this evening...
- Rob McClure and Jenny Powers play 'Gomez' and 'Morticia' in THE ADDAMS FAMILY, beginning tonight at the Muny in St. Louis.
- And if you need something to do on a boring Monday night, join a slew of Broadway stars at 54 Below for BROADWAY SINGS JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE!
NEWS YOU MISSED THIS WEEKEND:
- We got a full-fledged first look at Leslie Uggams and more in Connecticut Rep's GYPSY!
- CLUELESS Katy Perry to Star?" target="_blank">could be coming to Broadway, starring Katy Perry?!
- Plus, Joan Rivers is set to bring SALLY MARR...AND HER ESCORTS to the National Theatre in D.C., with hopes for a Broadway run...
- We learned that Christopher Walken will play 'Captain Hook' in NBC's PETER PAN LIVE! this winter!
- Off-Broadway's FAT CAMP is being revisited in a developmental lab this fall.
- BROADWAY STANDS UP FOR FREEDOM will welcome Adam Chanler-Berat, Justin Guarini, Barrett Foa and more next week.
- Playwrights Horizons has added Bruce Norris' THE QUALMS to its 2014-15 season...
- BroadwayWorld brought you exclusive coverage of Kristin Chenoweth's performance at the Royal Albert Hall. And be sure to check out our pics from BROADWAY BARKS 16!
- And finally some great, in-house news, BWW has launched a new series with The New York Public Library for the Performing Arts!
Broadway Weather Forecast: Thunderstorms this afternoon and evening with a high of 84 degrees. Stay inside and rest up for the rest of the week's shows!
Quote of the Day: In honor of BROADWAY SINGS JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE at 54 Below tonight, here are some words of wisdom from the pop star himself...
What we're looking forward to listening to: LIVE OUT LOUD, out September 9th! The Shapiro Sisters, 11-year old Milly Shapiro (MATILDA) and older sister, 14-year-old Abigail Shapiro (HOW THE GRINCH STOLE CHRISTMAS), recorded the album live at 54 Below over a series of three performances this summer.
And finally, a Happy Birthday shout-out to Jane Lynch, who turns 55 today!
Lynch made her Broadway debut last year for a short stint as 'Miss Hannigan' in the ANNIE revival. The actress is well known for her role as the caustic cheerleading-coach-turned-principal 'Sue Sylvester' in FOX's GLEE. She has also appeared on television in Two and a Half Men, Party Down, The L Word, Easy to Assemble, Criminal Minds, Boston Legal, Web Therapy and more. Lynch is the current host of NBC's Hollywood Game Night.
See you bright and early tomorrow, BroadwayWorld!