Davenport Songwriting Contest Set for this Week, 1/30
Broadway Producer Ken Davenport (author of the popular blog, The Producer's Perspective) & Davenport Theatrical present the first annual Davenport Songwriting Contest! 10 songs will compete for the title of 'Best Song' and a $500 Grand Prize. All finalists will receive a cash prize of $50. The evening will be hosted by Rock Audition Guru, Sheri Sanders (Rock The Audition). Singers include Hannah Elless (Somewhere In Time, Godspell, The Other Josh Cohen), Ben Fankhauser (Newsies), Craig Waletzko (Guys & Dolls, Young Frankenstein), and Mary Kate Morrissey (Hair).
The audience and a panel of celebrity guest judges will choose the winner. Joining Tony Award Winning Producer Ken Davenport (The Bridges of Madison County, Kinky Boots, Macbeth - starring Alan Cumming, Godspell) at the judge's table are Natalie Weiss (Everyday Rapture), Ryan Silverman (Chicago, Phantom) and Ryan Scott Oliver (Jasper In Deadland at Prospect Theater Company).
Special guest performance by Ryan Scott Oliver who will be singing "Stroke by Stroke" from Jasper In Deadland.
The 10 Song finalists are:
2. Horizontal Light (Music & Lyrics by Andrew J. Hanley) sung by Natalie Berk
3. Hero (Music & Lyrics by Joseph Shrand) sung by Becca Shrand
4. We're the Only Real Actors in This Show (Music & Lyrics by Ted Kopulos) sung by Gary De Mattei & Craig Waletzko
5. Scared of Falling (Music & Lyrics by Kevin J. Watson) sung by Meghan Shanahan & Kevin J. Watson
7. I Could Be a Hero (Music & Lyrics by Madeline Myers) sung by Ben Fankhauser
8. Running (Music by Tidtaya Sinutoke, Lyrics by Ty Defoe) sung by Mary Kate Morrissey
9. Could It Be Me (Music by Kevin M. Cotter, Lyrics by Diane Uniman) sung by Hannah Elless
The contest will start at 7pm January 30th at the Davenport Theatre (354 West 45th Street). Tickets are $10 and can be purchased here.