Christian Borle to Depart PETER AND THE STARCATCHER June 30; STREETCAR's Matthew Saldivar to Takeover as 'Black Stache'
BroadwayWorld.com previously reported that a casting notice had revealed potential July starting dates for a new actor to take over for the Tony-nominated Christian Borle as 'Black Stache' in Peter and the Starcatcher when he departs (as expected) for the filming of season two of NBC's SMASH.
Now we can confirm that the recent Tony-winner will be departing the show on June 30th, and taking over the role will be Matt Saldivar, most recently seen on Broadway in A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE.
Matthew Saldivar (Black Stache) B’way: Steve in A Streetcar Named Desire (dir.Emily Mann), Originated Sammy in The Wedding Singer (John Rando), Kenickie in Grease (Kathleen Marshall). Other: Luther Billis, 1st Nat’l Tour of Lincoln Center Theater’s South Pacific (Bartlett Sher), Randy Newman’s Harps and Angels (Jerry Zaks), The Toxic Avenger (John Rando), The Shakespeare Theatre (Ethan McSweeny), Atlantic Theater Company (Neil Pepe), LAByrinth Theater Company, NYTW, NY Shakespeare Festival, The 52nd Street Project, TFANA, CSC, Blue Light, The Guthrie, The Long Wharf… Film/TV: Savages (Oliver Stone), Tony and Tina’s Wedding, Boiler Room, “Law and Order...” Middlebury College: BA Theater/Spanish, MA Spanish. NYU: MFA Acting.
Tickets can now be purchased through September 30, 2012, via Ticketmaster and in person at the box office of the Brooks Atkinson Theatre (256 West 47 Street). The production won 5 Tony Awards on June 10th, including Best Scenic Design of a Play, Best Costume Design of a Play, Best Lighting Design of a Play and Best Sound Design of a Play.
Peter and the Starcatcher opened on Broadway to on April 15th, 2012. The production has garnered nine Tony Award® nominations, including Best Play (Rick Elice), Best Original Score (Wayne Barker & Rick Elice), Best Performance by a Featured Actor (Christian Borle), Best Performance by a Featured Actress (Celia Keenan-Bolger), Best Scenic Design (Donyale Werle), Best Costume Design (Paloma Young), Best Lighting Design (Jeff Croiter), Best Sound Design (Darron L West) and Best Direction (Roger Rees & Alex Timbers).
The cast of Peter in the Starcatcher includes: Christian Borle, Tony nominated for his role as ‘Black Stache’ (and star of NBC’s “Smash”); Celia Keenan-Bolger, Tony nominated for her role as ‘Molly,’ the titular Starcatcher; and Adam Chanler-Berat (Next to Normal) as ‘Boy’, along with Teddy Bergman, Arnie Burton, Matt D’Amico, Kevin Del Aguila, Carson Elrod, Greg Hildreth, Rick Holmes, Isaiah Johnson, David Rossmer, Betsy Hogg, Orville Mendoza, Jason Ralph and John Sanders.
The creative team includes Wayne Barker (Music), Steven Hoggett (Movement), Marco Paguia (Music Direction), Donyale Werle (Scenic Design), Paloma Young (Costume Design), Jeff Croiter (Lighting Design) and Darron L West (Sound Design).
- Jeffrey Bean, Melissa Pritchett and More Set for Alley Theatre's COMMUNICATING DOORS; Cast & Creative Team Announced!
- Cast of 50 SHADES! THE MUSICAL to Appear on THE DR. SUSAN BLOCK SHOW, 3/8
- 'JUST IMAGINE...' Imagination Stage's 2014 Children's Ball Set for 5/10
- Theatre Critic and Writer Martin Gottfried Passes Away at 80
- Coyote Ugly Bar & Dance Saloon to Host 'Luck of the Coyotes' Party in Honor of St. Patrick's Day, 3/14-17
- David Spade and Tim Allen to Headline The Venetian Las Vegas, Spring 2014
- First Folio Theatre to Stage World Premiere of SALVAGE, 3/26-4/27
- Purple Rose Theatre to Present THE PRTC SPRING COMEDY FESTIVAL: LOVERS, LIARS & LUNATICS, 4/3-5/24
- BAX to Showcase Artist In Residence Year End Performances, 4/11-6/22
- Adventure Stage Chicago to Present World Premiere of SPARK: CHAPTER ONE OF THE PROMETHEUS PROJECT, 4/5-5/8