A Little LESS Night Music

MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A Little LESS Night Music#1
Posted: 7/1/09 at 9:56am
The show closes on July 25th!!!
They have decided to take this physical production as it is at the Garrick to New York instead of running two.
London wouldn't have run past the Sep 5th closing anyway so, in these days of money watching, it has been decided to close early and take what is at the Garrick to Broadway.

lovepigeon Profile Photolovepigeon Profile Photo
lovepigeon
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: A Little LESS Night Music#2
Posted: 7/1/09 at 10:12am
Are they taking the whole cast with it? I must see this before it goes. I know it'll bore me ****less but it has Fiona Dunn and Nicki Sloane in it... CFT veterans the both of them. It was a crime that Sloane had a non-singing part in The Sound of Music. She was one of the chorus nuns at the very beginning and I could hear her stunning voice over all the rest of them. Then not a note for the rest of the show. Did anyone here ever see The Waterbabies at Chichester? It was the most cheap and crass production I have ever seen performed professionally (it involved a sheet and balloons), but there were some stunning songs. Sloane was fantastic in it. As was Fiona Dunn, come to think of it.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: A Little LESS Night Music#2
Posted: 7/1/09 at 10:13am
No.
lovepigeon
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: A Little LESS Night Music#3
Posted: 7/1/09 at 10:14am
I babbled again didn't I.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: A Little LESS Night Music#4
Posted: 7/1/09 at 10:24am
Yes.
lovepigeon
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: A Little LESS Night Music#5
Posted: 7/1/09 at 10:30am
Apologies. I do love a bit of Sloane though.
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: A Little LESS Night Music#6
Posted: 7/1/09 at 10:38am
NOOO! Grrrr this is just typical. Everything I have booked to see with my dad when I move down to london on September 4th is closing. First Sunset tickets and now tickets for this! Gutted that I won't get to see this now!!!! Guess I will be getting refund info through soon.

Was thinking of seeing Too Close To The Sun instead, but will that definitely last to September 5th?.

*Annoyed Rant Over*
jaqs Profile Photojaqs Profile Photo
jaqs
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: A Little LESS Night Music#7
Posted: 7/1/09 at 10:51am
Know how you feel mark, yet another Show I was planning to see in July closing - fortunatly I can see this on the last friday now.
But have a lot of showslots to fill in my week now.

Updated On: 7/1/09 at 10:51 AM
Sister George Profile PhotoSister George Profile Photo
Sister George
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: A Little LESS Night Music#8
Posted: 7/1/09 at 11:25am
If it's anything like the composer's last show I'd say you have more chance of seeing Michael Jackson at the 02 on the 5th September than seeing Too Close On The Sunday.
"I tend to think if god wanted us to believe in him, he'd exist" Linda Smith
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: A Little LESS Night Music#9
Posted: 7/1/09 at 11:31am
Eeek, I read about Behind the iron mask.

Maybe I should just book for something safe that will definitely remain open until September lol.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: A Little LESS Night Music#10
Posted: 7/1/09 at 11:35am
Makes you wonder if 'The Mousetrap' is safe these days?

It is, its average BO is 60%.
lovepigeon
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: A Little LESS Night Music#11
Posted: 7/1/09 at 11:37am
A musical about Ernest Hemingway blowing his face off? No matter who wrote the f*cking thing, it's hardly got 'hit' plastered all over it. It alarms me that this going straight into the West End. It may get good reviews, but it's hardly one to capture the public's imagination.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: A Little LESS Night Music#12
Posted: 7/1/09 at 11:42am
Picture it!
'Too Close To The Sun' To Close Sunday!
I can, clearly.

I hope the Comedy isnt slipping back into its awful run of flops as it did in the 80s- 'Spin Of The Wheel', 'Collete' 'The Gambler' etc.
Sister George Profile PhotoSister George Profile Photo
Sister George
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: A Little LESS Night Music#13
Posted: 7/1/09 at 11:43am
Once again if it's anything like the composer's last show it won't get good reviews but it will be one of th emost entertaining nights you'll have in the theatre...

Ahh Shelia Ferguson's gypsy dance will live long in the memory.... Along with 'Cake, don't talk to me about cake, I haven't eaten for days...'

So bad I saw it twice.

Ernest Hemingway blowing his face off is probably just a similar challenge to staging a 3 hander musical where one of the characters spends the entire show with his head covered in a giant mask...

And a challenge I'm sure he shall no doubt handle equally as ineptly - fingers crossed!
"I tend to think if god wanted us to believe in him, he'd exist" Linda Smith
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: A Little LESS Night Music#14
Posted: 7/1/09 at 11:50am
Sister!! I hate you for bringingback into my memory that fateful gypsy dance!
LOL
LOL
Bless her!
Supposedly her temper and language was far from pretty when asked if she would record the cast recording!

re: A Little LESS Night Music
Sheila dueting with Michael jackson on the cast recording of 'Michael In The Mask'!
MariusPontmercy Profile PhotoMariusPontmercy Profile Photo
MariusPontmercy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: A Little LESS Night Music#15
Posted: 7/1/09 at 1:31pm
Did anyone here ever see The Waterbabies at Chichester?

I think I did actually, but I'm not sure, as I can't remember anything about it at all?

I'm seeing 'A Little Night Music' on Saturday, really looking forward to it actually! Shame it's closing.
Updated On: 7/1/09 at 01:31 PM
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: A Little LESS Night Music#16
Posted: 7/1/09 at 2:32pm
Well damn. The question is, do I need to go see it again before it shuts, even though time and money is a little scarce this month? Or shall I just be forever pleased I caught it at the Chocolate Factory?

It pains me to say this, but I'm leaning towards the latter, depending on how cheap tickets can be got...
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: A Little LESS Night Music#17
Posted: 7/1/09 at 4:45pm
Now that Ragtime has announced its revival on Broadway ALNM can rule itself out of Tony consideration next year!!!
Musical-Matt Profile PhotoMusical-Matt Profile Photo
Musical-Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: A Little LESS Night Music#18
Posted: 7/1/09 at 5:17pm
Ragtime best win this time round ! else i might cry !
No Doubt Our Paths Will Cross Again ! Matt
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: A Little LESS Night Music#19
Posted: 7/1/09 at 6:22pm
There are a couple of other big revivals opening this season - Finian's Rainbow and Bye Bye Birdie (which has an awesome cast). So the Best Revival Tony could be a close run thing. Don't get me wrong - I LOVE Ragtime and as a show it's streets ahead of any of the aforementioned - but the revival Tony is for the best PRODUCTION of a revived show, not necessarily the best piece. (West Side Story for example is surely a better show than Hair - but the Hair revival was a far better production.)

BTW - I also love ALNM - but I didn't think Nunn's latest version was particularly good.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: A Little LESS Night Music#20
Posted: 7/2/09 at 5:37am
I agree Bob but we can already forget about 'Finians Rainbow' as that is just gonna get lost under everything else.
It is worth the ticket to New York just to see Terri Whites performance!
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: A Little LESS Night Music#21
Posted: 7/2/09 at 10:13am
Hard to tell what Finian's Rainbow will be like until it opens. Mainly I want to see it coz I've never seen the show! (Know the score, of course, and have always loved it.) Who the hell is Terri White? lol
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: A Little LESS Night Music#22
Posted: 7/2/09 at 10:23am
She is the most amazing black singer.
She was the original Joyce Heth in Barnum on Broadway. Her CD is amazing, if I can get it to you Bob I will.
She sang at Roses Turn bar in Greenwich Village for many years and that is where i became friends with her.
re: A Little LESS Night Music

I see her, I hear her and i instantly think of Lena Horne!
AnythingGoes2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: A Little LESS Night Music#23
Posted: 7/2/09 at 10:59am
Finians Rainbow at The St James is just laughable and so questionable - I mean out of all the great shows like Follies, Mame, Damn Yankee that have been staged recently - this show transfers to Broadway! Weird.

Ragtime will have competition and it was only a mere 10 years ago it won the Tony for best musical ... Little Night Music will give it a run for its money as will Bye Bye Birdie and possibly Sunset Boulevard. Even thought I doubt it would win Tonys, due to it winning a few for the revival a few years ago, La Cage is a very worthy revival and excellent - so a tough season Tony Wise for revivals next year and surely a few more yet to be announced entrys.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: A Little LESS Night Music#24
Posted: 7/2/09 at 11:00am
We are sharing the same thoughts AG2!