Page: 1

Oliver ups its prices

Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Oliver ups its prices#1
Posted: 4/21/09 at 3:04am
'Please note that from 28 September, top price tickets are 62.50, Monday to Thursday and 65 on Friday and Saturday performances. In addition, all prices will attract a 75p restoration levy.'

Take from www.oliverthemusical.com

MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Oliver ups its prices#2
Posted: 4/21/09 at 5:42am
...and still they go to a stale old show.
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Oliver ups its prices#2
Posted: 4/21/09 at 6:27am
Disgusting. Having said that, I was a little shocked at how much of the auditorium was top price for War Horse!
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Oliver ups its prices#3
Posted: 4/21/09 at 6:44am
...isn't that because of the unusually good sight lines for it tho?
That was the first thing I though when they announced it going to the New London -like a mini Olivier really!
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Oliver ups its prices#4
Posted: 4/21/09 at 7:01am
I suppose so, but I still think I'd be pretty miffed paying 47.50 to sit in the back rod of the circle, when for the same price I could be in the 2nd row of the stalls.
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Oliver ups its prices#5
Posted: 4/21/09 at 7:34am
I wasn't keen to see this show even at the previous prices - now I'm even less likely to go see it!
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Oliver ups its prices#6
Posted: 4/21/09 at 7:35am
Sorry Bob, the thread got a bit tangled- do you mean 'Oliver!' or 'War Horse'
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Oliver ups its prices#7
Posted: 4/21/09 at 7:43am
I meant Oliver. Though I have to say, War Horse does not appeal to me either! lol
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Oliver ups its prices#8
Posted: 4/21/09 at 7:47am
I didn't either but within 15 minutes I was engrossed and loved every single second of it.
If you get a spare few hours , go, you wont be disappointed.
-'War Horse' I mean- haven' 'done' 'Oliver!' yet.
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Oliver ups its prices#9
Posted: 4/21/09 at 7:50am
Im looking forward to watching War Horse but as for Oliver...i wish it would go away.

I actually wish they would tie Oliver to Annie and put weight on their feet and drop them in the sea lol
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Oliver ups its prices#10
Posted: 4/21/09 at 7:51am
Bet your bottom dollar that you'll have this 'Oliver! at the palace within 2 or 3 years!
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Oliver ups its prices#11
Posted: 4/21/09 at 7:57am
Not if they go ahead with the stupid, overblown, ridiculous, unnecessary and unwanted turning the Palace in to an Opera House...LEAVE THIS THEATRE ALONE!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, haven't had my coffee yet
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Oliver ups its prices#12
Posted: 4/21/09 at 8:02am
That was thrown out by the government a few weeks back...lol ...didn't you know?
I thought i did a thread on it? I'll post the info i have later.

The initial report said that 'it wasn't financially feasible in the already over crowded arts scene in Manchester. The city plays host to a respectable level of ballet and opera and to remove The Palace from its present state as Manchesters major touring theatre is not in the publics interest at present'.

The theatres trust did a lot of round the back lobbying against it and it looks like it worked.
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Oliver ups its prices#13
Posted: 4/21/09 at 8:13am
Funny how this production has never dared Broadway.
boyfromoz2 Profile Photoboyfromoz2 Profile Photo
boyfromoz2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Oliver ups its prices#14
Posted: 4/21/09 at 9:15am
Anyone who why that is?

There was a US tour that followed the 2002/2003 Aussie tour that I thought would've made it Broadway but it never eventuated. Yes there was that infamous Patti LuPone flop revival in '84, but I think the show deserves another stab on the Great White Way, this time with a set design appropriate to the expectations of today's audience.

On a side note, does anyone know about Cam Mac's other revival of a classic English story "My Fair Lady". Why hasn't that production which toured the US during 2008 made it to Broadway?
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Oliver ups its prices#15
Posted: 4/21/09 at 9:19am
He treads carefully in the States. Always has.
boyfromoz2 Profile Photoboyfromoz2 Profile Photo
boyfromoz2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Oliver ups its prices#16
Posted: 4/21/09 at 9:28am
Understandable, but still ... there have't been new revivals of Oliver or My Fair Lady in New York ever. Both shows have been revived in their original versions but didn't strike the same chord as their respective original productions.

Eliza hasn't danced all night on a New York stage in over 15 years, and Oliver hasn't asked for me in over 25 years. Maybe its finally time for these two great British stories to return.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Oliver ups its prices#17
Posted: 4/21/09 at 10:39am
'Oliver! has been on Broadway 3 times. The 2 revivals were far from successes, both running just months- one with Ms Patti Lupone!

'My Fair Lady' has been on Broadaway 4 times and again, all productions after the original kept the public away and ensured very short runs.

As I said, Cameron knows what he's doing.
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Oliver ups its prices#18
Posted: 4/21/09 at 3:11pm
I always got the opinion that revivals never do well on Broadway, well up until very recently. South Pacific has been a runaway success, West Side Story seems to be going the same way, previous revivals of WSS have been hideous, only time will tell, if revival will be a success, my bet is that the fuss will die down very soon.
theatreguy Profile Phototheatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Oliver ups its prices#19
Posted: 4/22/09 at 1:09pm
Mackintosh wanted to bring Oliver over in the mid-90's but couldn't reach a deal with Equity on how to pay all the children. Cameron wanted to basically pay the kids a weekly stipend as he did (and still does) in the West End production. But in the US, Equity minimum is the same for everyone, regardless of age, and they were not going to budge on that point. The tour in about 2004/2005 was non-Equity so they could pay the kids whatever they wanted.

I'm not sure why his My Fair Lady hasn't made it to Broadway, but the last revival (with Richard Chamberlain and Melissa Errico) was VERY different from the original and not well-received. I know there ahve been rumblings about a new production with Kelli O'Hara at some point, no word yet if it will be the Mackintosh/Nunn production or something else.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Oliver ups its prices#20
Posted: 4/22/09 at 2:40pm
The scaled down tour of his NT production that toured the US in the last 2 years got panned in almost every city.