Page: 1

Buddy from Jersey

Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Buddy from Jersey#1
Posted: 12/3/08 at 5:49pm
Now I really do not get this, I see Jersey Boys and Buddy being really similar.

When Buddy (originally)opened in London at the Victoria Palace, it done terrific business but when it transfered to the Shubert Theatre, it did nothing and was a flop.

When Jersey Boys opened in New York at the August Wilson theatre it is a virtual sell out every show, which is not the case at the Prince Edward Theatre, where it is really struggling.

Two shows very similar in storyline, but why are these shows not doing well in there respective cities?
legallysam Profile Photolegallysam Profile Photo
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Buddy from Jersey#2
Posted: 12/3/08 at 6:42pm
I didn't know Jersey Boys was struggling, i thought it was doing good business here, albeit not as good as in New York, but not struggling.
"Rock Of Ages is about as original as gay men at a clap clinic" - SANDM2
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Buddy from Jersey#2
Posted: 12/3/08 at 7:59pm
I bought a ticket for the equivalent of about $50 on Monday, the theatre was only half full, imagine weekends probably be a sell out, but you cannot run a show on 2/3 performances a week, it is struggling and I here talk of what is going in there next.
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Buddy from Jersey#3
Posted: 12/4/08 at 3:43am
"you cannot run a show on 2/3 performances a week"

Bull. If you've read The Season, you'd know that you certainly can maintain 50-60% during the week and sell out your weekends (and many shows, in fact, do hit their break even this way.) I'm sure someone like Mama or Scripps can correct my estimations, but I believe most commercial productions are set up to break even at around 60% attendance, compared to London Fringe which producers are told to set their break even at 30%.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Buddy from Jersey#4
Posted: 12/5/08 at 5:48pm
I agree with you on that some shows can survive quite well on 2/3 full houses a week, even when tickets are sold through TKTS, Blood Brothers and Chicago, have proven this point.

However some shows have a real high production costs and can only survive at tickets at full price and might get by with high attendances in the week, even with some tickets sold at reduced rate. The Producers and Mary Poppins may prove the point and I would assume that shows like Hairspray, Wicked, Jersey Boys, The Lion King would all rely on high attendance.

The objective of a producer is,

1 Recoup = Normally need to sell full price tickets to do this.

2 Profit = Desirable to sell plenty of full price tickets, possible to still make a profit with tickets sold through promotions.

Sunset Boulevard in New York had such a high production costs, that it was impossible to recoup, even though the show was regarded as a success, it still made a high loss, think this is called a hitflop?

Phantom of London MA (Hons) Economics (theatre)
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Buddy from Jersey#5
Posted: 12/5/08 at 6:15pm
For what it's worth, JBoys still isn't discounting at TKTS (or even sending full price tickets over some days) which means tourists and John Onceayear are willing to pay full price. The Metro offer, like with most shows these days, is an attempt to draw people in during a traditionally slow time of the year.

As far as ongoing expenses are concerned, the London production doesn't have $300 tickets to help recoup quickly like in New York, but it strikes me (and my MA) as a mid-level production: all the moving crap (the turtles, the lifts, etc.) requires a fair bit of maintenance, but we're not talking about anything on the level of the original Sunset, Disney's productions, or Starlight Express and at the same time it actually HAS production value unlike Buddy, Chicago, etc. Provided that the show breaks even and pays its rent to DelMac it'll stay open, and could likely continue making money in a smaller house if someone waves a tonne of money to take over the Prince Edward.

And re: Hairspray, the NYC production has had a few bad weeks (along with the rest of Broadway) in autumn and winter, but generally sold well enough in the good times to keep up and then some - though that didn't prevent the producers from scaling down costumes, lighting, etc. over the last five years.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Buddy from Jersey#6
Posted: 12/6/08 at 9:07am
'though that didn't prevent the producers from scaling down costumes, lighting, etc. over the last five years'.

This is very interesting to me, as I did not know that producers do this, anyone please tell me more?

MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Buddy from Jersey#7
Posted: 12/6/08 at 1:58pm
Please don't use these two shows in the same breath.
as great as the original original original 'Buddy' was back at the Victoria Palace it still is cheap drivel compared to the brilliant 'Jersey Boys'!
Laura11
Swing
Swing
re: Buddy from Jersey#8
Posted: 12/6/08 at 2:09pm
I went to see the Jersey boys for the 26th time
on Tuesday and i have never been yet when the
theatre is half full, but then again maybe i have
been lucky with the day's i have chosen to go and
watch it. As for Buddy i love that show and i am
sorry too see it is closing down i must admit it
did lose some of it's magic when it left the VP
but i will be there for it's last night and i will
go and watch the tour
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Buddy from Jersey#9
Posted: 12/6/08 at 4:49pm
Buddy was great, very dated now, I haven't and will need so the current production, as no interest.

I go back to my original question.

Why did Buddy do so well here and did nothing in New York and Jersey Boys doing so well in New York, but not doing much in London, when both are very similar story lines and music tribute?

legallysam Profile Photolegallysam Profile Photo
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Buddy from Jersey#10
Posted: 12/6/08 at 4:52pm
I don't see how you can say Jersey Boys isn't doing much in London...?
"Rock Of Ages is about as original as gay men at a clap clinic" - SANDM2
Laura11
Swing
Swing
re: Buddy from Jersey#11
Posted: 12/6/08 at 5:04pm
The Jersey boys is doing well and as i said in
my previous post everytime i have been to see
it the theatre has been very well attended
maybe it was just not busy the night you went

lovepigeon Profile Photolovepigeon Profile Photo
lovepigeon
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Buddy from Jersey#12
Posted: 12/7/08 at 7:25am
Personally, I've never seen JB less than three quarters full midweek. Sales wise, it's actually not doing badly at all. The reception to it hasn't lived up to the hype at all, but it was never going to do as well in London as it has in New York where the Four Seasons are more culturally important. I wouldn't say it's got a long run ahead of it, but it's doing respectably and isn't struggling at all.
loopyloodle
Swing
Swing
re: Buddy from Jersey#13
Posted: 12/8/08 at 12:46pm
Peoples choice award doesn't matter then?

Why are so many people set to see this show fail?
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Buddy from Jersey#14
Posted: 12/8/08 at 7:20pm
Great answer Love Pigeon. x

Lets put the boot on the boot on the other foot then!

Why was a proven successful show, The Buddy Holly Story only play 225 shows at the Shubet Theatre, when Buddy Holly is adored in America and is similar to The Jersey Boys, which is a run away success in New York?