Tour dates here

http://www.waitingforgodottheplay.com/splashpages/index.html
Updated On: 10/31/08 at 05:55 AM
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I wont be waiting around for this one!
Why do top names always line up to star in this dreary, boring and endlessly mind numbing play?
The only good thing about this is the appointment of Sean Mathias as the Artistic Director for the Theatre Royal Haymarket 2009.
One thing I hope he doesn't do is give Lady Serena another pop at Bent! Please not 'Bent'
Updated On: 10/31/08 at 08:23 AM
CONAries Profile PhotoCONAries Profile Photo
CONAries
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
shame this is the most boring play in the world, otherwise I'd be tempted to see it!

First time I read this play I just thought to myself, ohhh, something exciting is about to happen, and then it ended, and when I put it down, I was the happiest I had been since starting to read it, as it meant the boredom was over!
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
*** SPOILER ALERT***
He never turns up!
Wise old man, probably stayed in the pub instead of wasting a night with these two!
Updated On: 10/31/08 at 12:32 PM
RaspberrySparkles Profile PhotoRaspberrySparkles Profile Photo
RaspberrySparkles
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I had to do a scene from this for my drama assessment last year, I learnt the lines in like 5 minutes and it was so boring. I don't know the play other than that scene but it didn't inspire me to find out more about it or anything at all!
CONAries Profile PhotoCONAries Profile Photo
CONAries
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"He never turns up!
Wise old man, probably stayed in the pub instead of wasting a night with these two!"

Well if the audience are wise, they wont turn up as well, they should just rename this
" Waiting for everyone"
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
In 2000 this play was voted the most significant English language play of the 20th century by theatre professionals in a NT poll. Yea right!
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
How is it not significant? For a 55 year old play - the most widely-known work from a prolific and greatly-admired playwright - it's showing no signs of falling out of the canon any time soon. For every person who finds it dull and pointless, there's another who finds it endlessly fascinating and thought-provoking. This play has caused countless other playwrights to write related works (prequels, sequels, reworkings, directly inspired by), and that's before we get into the endless references in popular culture. Two of the UK's most internationally revered classical actors have been coaxed into performing this divisive piece during what could easily be a full-blown economic depression come the end of April in a theatre that's REALLY not seeing any hits at the moment when they could easily go "nooo, I want more money, make it cinema" or "nooo, if I'm doing serious play work, I'm sticking with the RSC".

It may not be to your taste, it may not be a twinkly good time, but it is most certainly significant. I'm definitely looking forward to it, even if that lumbers me firmly in a minority.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
You most certainly are!
Clark_MD Profile PhotoClark_MD Profile Photo
Clark_MD
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
theres a fab monologue in Willy Russell's 'Breezeblock park' which takes the pee outta waiting for godot - it never fails to make me smile!

"Don't talk to me about theatres! I went to one once. 'Ey, John, what was the name of the play, that play I took you an' y' mother to see when it was rainin' in town? Remember? Waitin' for Godot. That was it. I'll tell y' about theatres. We went in to see this thing, it was about these tramps waitin' for this mate of theirs. Well, I'm not kiddin' you. All this audience were sittin' there waitin' for him as well. I could see straightaway what was gonna happen though. I'd been there for five minutes an' I knew. I opened up me programme didn't I, John? An' I looked down the list, y'know, where it gives the names of the characters like? An' straightaway I knew, didn't I? His name's not there in the programme y'see, this Godot's. Well, it's common sense, if his name's not in the programme he's never gonna show up. Y' could wait a hundred years an' he'd still never walk onto the bloody stage. But all the rest of these stupid buggers in the place - they didn't have the sense to look in the programme an' work it out for themselves. I slipped out to this cafe next door an' read the paper. I laughed meself silly at the rest of them next door. When our John come out with his mum, I said to him, didn't I, John? I said to him - don't tell me - the Godot feller didn't turn up!"
The Artist Formally Known As 'Anon2'
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Waiting for Godot with Mckellen and Stewart opens 30 April 09

I love 'Breezblock Park' haven't seen it for about 20 years now- they should do a major revival of it soon! I also remember that speech- absolutely hilarious. That coming from one of the UKs most important writers of the last 50 years -brilliant!
*take a look at the names in the above cast! Julie Walters! Pete Poselthwaite! Prunella Scales!

Updated On: 11/1/08 at 11:00 AM
Clark_MD Profile PhotoClark_MD Profile Photo
Clark_MD
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
we do have impecable taste mama!
The Artist Formally Known As 'Anon2'
Acaila
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
I like a bit of Beckett :) I always feel it goes on to long but I still enjoy it. Saw a great production of Godot at the Citz in Glasgow earlier in the year -rather packed house as I recall (partic midweek) and the audience certainly appreciated it.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

One of the best remembered and most celebrated productions was given in 1981 at the Roundhouse Theatre in Camden. It starred one of the UKs greatest ever comedy actors, Max Wall. He stared alongside a great actor, Trevor Peacock who is now very wel know for 'The Vicor Of Dibley' . Beckett himself declared this to be his favorite production of his play.
And now...
You wait for one and two come along together!
Broadway gets a new production of 'Waiting For Godot' at exactly the same time as London does.
The Roundabout Theatre are producing the play at Studio 54 with Bill Irwin and Nathan Lane.
Interesting casting on both sides, London gets two classical theatre greats while New York gets two comedy greats.

Updated On: 11/3/08 at 02:18 PM
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Add me to the list of people who'll be somewhere other than the Haymarket during this run. I'm thrilled for the Beckett fans to have a production of this calibre, but I absolutely abhor this play.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

The campest pair of tramps I've ever seen!
Maybe they are auditioning for the cast replacement of 'La Cage aux Folles'?