'9 To 5 -The Musical'

WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
'9 To 5 -The Musical'#1
Posted: 9/5/08 at 8:59pm
'9 To 5 -The Musical'

Ive just heard the demo to '9 To 5-The Musical'!
FAB FAB FAB
Dollys done it again!
It will be huge, these numbers mixed with the expected numbers=HIT!

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Updated On: 9/22/08 at 08:59 PM
Paulyd Profile PhotoPaulyd Profile Photo
Paulyd
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: 8 Hour Day#2
Posted: 9/5/08 at 9:09pm
i wanna here it. This show really intrigues me.
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 8 Hour Day#2
Posted: 9/6/08 at 5:30am
Oh i wanna hear this too
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 8 Hour Day#3
Posted: 9/6/08 at 6:39am
re: 8 Hour Day

They are 7 new numbers- all so very Dolly - perfect for the musical version of the movie we all know.
The opening number is brilliant and the humour in all the numbers is just fab.
NOW this is the show i want to see in London above 'Legally Blonde' or 'Sister Act'.
This is after all the biggest movie of all the recent transfers to stage.
*Around Here
*Tattletales
*Backwoods Barbie (this number is already on her latest album)
*Heart To Hart
*Shine Like The Sun
*Get Out
*Let Love Grow

Yep! I'z a huge Dolly fan and cant wait to see this!

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Updated On: 9/6/08 at 06:39 AM
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 8 Hour Day#4
Posted: 9/6/08 at 6:52am
Just listened to it, someone sent it to me on facebook

Its pretty good, i wouldn't say its one of the biggest movies to transfer to the stage.

Would have been nice if it wasn't Dolly singing all the songs on this demo lol

I think the show maybe having a few teething problems at the moment as its canceled quite a few of its previews Out Of Town
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 8 Hour Day#5
Posted: 9/6/08 at 6:55am
It cancelled all previews this week and they are now fingers crossed for the first preview to be on Monday.
When i say biggest i mean as in star names, shear name recognition and the love of this movie hasn't waned.
Updated On: 9/6/08 at 06:55 AM
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 8 Hour Day#6
Posted: 9/6/08 at 6:59am
Oh ok im with you

Its one im looking forward too but as much as i thought the demo was pretty good it seems to be lacking something, though it's very early days and i wish it all the best

I love Alison and Megan
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 8 Hour Day#7
Posted: 9/6/08 at 8:06am
I love the demo!

This could be the new Mamma Mia- ideal for hen parties but also strong cross-over appeal.

Now I have to go and watch the movie again.

All hail Dame Dolly!
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 8 Hour Day#8
Posted: 9/6/08 at 10:58am
The new Mamma Mia is not a good thing lol
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 8 Hour Day#9
Posted: 9/6/08 at 3:43pm
Only speaking commercially!!!
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 8 Hour Day#10
Posted: 9/9/08 at 10:52am

This would SO work in the UK.
The film is loved more than most of the recent movie to stage transfers and Dolly is as big (pun intended) as she has ever been on the concert circuit- still selling out 20,000 seat stadiums 10 /15 times a year!
I love this demo!

A Fleur De Toi Profile PhotoA Fleur De Toi Profile Photo
A Fleur De Toi
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: 8 Hour Day#11
Posted: 9/12/08 at 11:42am
Can i hear the demo? Where can one find it?
In Soviet Russia, Wicked hates you too!
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 8 Hour Day#12
Posted: 9/22/08 at 9:42am
Don't be surprised if this is one musical that could fast track it to the West End next year. Its just opened in L.A to stunning reviews. This, of all shows London is waiting for is the one that has more mass appeal across the board.
I'm hoping and wishing and praying that my plans to see this on Oct 11th or 12th work out.
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 8 Hour Day#13
Posted: 9/22/08 at 9:45am
I've just watched Dolly Parton singing Backwoods Barbie on Jay Leno. This show is rumoured to open in Melbourne October 2009.
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 8 Hour Day#14
Posted: 9/22/08 at 10:47am
Love 9 to 5 and Im eager to see if this works brilliantly as it does as a film.

If and when there is a London transfer, I would think that they should bring over the female leads though I would just as happy if Alison Janney came over as she was brilliant in The West Wing.
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 8 Hour Day#15
Posted: 9/22/08 at 11:36am
I worked for production company about 15 years ago (plus?) which was desperately trying to secure rights for a 9 to 5 stage adap.

Never happened, so I'm delighted to see that it finally hits the stage in a production that looks quite fabulous!
tommyslim Profile Phototommyslim Profile Photo
tommyslim
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: 8 Hour Day#16
Posted: 9/22/08 at 12:34pm
i absolutely adore the demo!

dolly most certianly has a worldwide hit with this.
"Lateness is a choice" - Sir Trevor Nunn
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 8 Hour Day#17
Posted: 9/22/08 at 12:52pm

OK all you Dolly Divas out there, the demo is obviously a big hit amongst us, so may i recommend Dolly's latest album which takes its title from one of the demos songs. 'Backwoods Barbie' is a great album of some truly beautiful, heartfelt songs that even if you're not a great C and W lover you'll still wont be able to resist Dollys delivery.

toanythingtaboo 2 Profile Phototoanythingtaboo 2 Profile Photo
toanythingtaboo 2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: 8 Hour Day#18
Posted: 9/22/08 at 2:02pm
I'm so looking forward to this, even the CD will tide me over until it transfers/I get a chance to visit NYC.

We need shows like this, people may moan about it being total theatre trash...but its just so feel good, but with substance...and big hair.

Broadway is getting pretty pink + blonde these days though haha. Legally Blonde, 9 to 5 and half of the Wicked duo.

Have to admit though, I've been thinking its 'Backwards Barbie' for ages, and I just sat there totally not understanding it. 'Is she saying her boobs are on backwards or what?'.

Now I've actually seen it written down/not said in an American accent...I get it haha.

WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 8 Hour Day#19
Posted: 9/22/08 at 2:09pm
Put down the drink- now!
defyinggravity42694 Profile Photodefyinggravity42694 Profile Photo
defyinggravity42694
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 8 Hour Day#21
Posted: 10/14/08 at 5:25am
I got to see last Saturdays matinee in L.A of this stunning new smash hit! This is gonna be the BIGGEST hit on Broadway next year!
Will post my thoughts when I get over the jet lag a bit more, only got back last night.
I've posted my initial thoughts on the Broadway board under '9 To 5 The Musical LA Oct 11th 2pm'
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 8 Hour Day#22
Posted: 10/14/08 at 12:50pm
Will it beat Billy Elliot to Best Musical, do you think?
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 8 Hour Day#23
Posted: 10/14/08 at 1:16pm
Mmmmmm? Not sure but it is a hell of piece and maybe by the time it gets to Broadway next year it will be as tight as it needs to be. '9 To 5' will be the easier sell certainly!
Don't get me wrong there was very little wrong with what I saw on stage last Saturday except for a few cuts and some songs taken out. As it is now, it beats many shows on Broadway and the West End hands down just simply for the wow factor it has! It looks simply stunning. The sets are just mind blowing and many set changes had a round of applause on completion.
The three lead girls are a casting dream and I hear now that all three have been confirmed for New York.
Allison Janney is superb as the leader of the pack and tho she cant really sing she has one hell of a good time trying- brilliant!
Stephanie J. Block is the put upon, dim witted battered wife who comes out of her shell during the show to end up with one of the best strong-woman-numbers to hit the musical stage in years, yes years! The number just blows you away!
Megan Hilty 'IS' Dolly Parton and her performance as the sleeping-with-the-boss floozy who isn't -is just perfect!
The three work together and have a ball in plotting their revenge on the misogynistic, egotistical boss played by Marc Kudish. The supporting company work amazingly hard and are a very busy lot being on stage more than any any show I've seen recently. Kathy Fitzgerald is fantastic as the PA from hell!
The numbers are all very different and fit well into the action. The book is very funny though could take a few cuts with out losing anything. There is a lot of work going on now in its final LA week and in the coming months.
I never would have dreamt that '9 To 5' the movie would ever get this treatment on stage. Just six months ago I just saw it as just another cash in on the movie-to-show craze. This show is in its own league, miles away from 'Legally Blonde' etc etc. It will play brilliantly in London- no prob!
Book your trip for April and thats your matinee and evening sorted for one day Dev!

Updated On: 10/14/08 at 01:16 PM
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 8 Hour Day#24
Posted: 10/14/08 at 2:05pm
Blithe Spirit and 9 to 5 are right at the top of my list!