Page: 1

New Leicester Square Theatre ???

rohingit Profile Photorohingit Profile Photo
rohingit
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
New Leicester Square Theatre ???#1
Posted: 6/26/08 at 10:37am
Hey guys, so I have heard small comments about this but wondered if anyone on here knew any facts.

According to my housemate who works for a well known gay Mag, they are sponcering the new Joan Rivers show "a work in Progress" at the New Leicester Square Theatre, which according to him is going to be the old Hippodrome.
The only info I can find is that her show is going to be on at "the new Leicester Square Theatre" but no info on where this is and if it has anything to do with the Hippodrome at all...are they reverting it back to its original use?? or will it be a small caberet venue?? Or is he just generaly wrong hehe.
If anyone has any information at all I would be really interested.
Many Thanks
DeathStar
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: New Leicester Square Theatre ???#2
Posted: 6/26/08 at 10:46am
Its a venue in Lsq called The Venue - used occasionally for live performances, but its not the Hippo!

rohingit
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: New Leicester Square Theatre ???#2
Posted: 6/26/08 at 10:57am
Ahh ok I had an incling it might be that, so im guessing they are or have changed the name then. I just noticed all the scafolding up around the Hippodrome so thought...and hoped, that maybe someone was being good to us and giving us another venue, sigh. no such luck. thanks DeathStar re: New Leicester Square Theatre ???
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: New Leicester Square Theatre ???#3
Posted: 6/26/08 at 11:13am
The latest on the Hippodrome (unless anyone has heard anything else?) is in this thread:
http://westend.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?boardid=3&boardname=bway&thread=955150

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: New Leicester Square Theatre ???#4
Posted: 6/26/08 at 11:32am
Its where 'Taboo' was premiered! A great venue!
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
rohingit
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: New Leicester Square Theatre ???#5
Posted: 6/26/08 at 5:43pm
Thanks Eastwickian, iv not really used this site for months so totaly didnt think about looking for past thread's!! fantastic pics on the link! Such a shame its not reverting back but such great news none the less. Looks like there could be some potential small show just before christmas so we might get a taste of days gone by.
Thanks again re: New Leicester Square Theatre ???
DeathStar
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: New Leicester Square Theatre ???#6
Posted: 6/27/08 at 4:03am
I wish they would return the Hippo to a theatre. There was a rumour a few years back of it becoming the new London home of the RSC - but that didn't happen. Now I think it might be gaming venue rather than what it should be - a stunning venue, with stunning live theatre.

Ah well, the ways of the world...
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: New Leicester Square Theatre ???#7
Posted: 6/29/08 at 8:35am
re: New Leicester Square Theatre ???

The wonderfully intimate but very badly managed 'The Venue' just of Leicester Sq- right next door to the Prince Charles cinema.

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Updated On: 6/29/08 at 08:35 AM
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: New Leicester Square Theatre ???#8
Posted: 6/29/08 at 12:00pm
Your very welcome Rohingit!!!!!!!!
DeathStar
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: New Leicester Square Theatre ???#9
Posted: 7/1/08 at 8:55am
Lovely picture - never been there before! Who runs it I wonder?

x
lotiloti Profile Photolotiloti Profile Photo
lotiloti
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: New Leicester Square Theatre ???#10
Posted: 7/25/08 at 5:24pm
Nice to see, the 'Leicester Square Theatre' will soon be revived. Fitting, as the old LST , will soon be demolished.