Xanadu London back on?

NS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Xanadu London back on?#1
Posted: 5/30/08 at 6:20am
according to a poster on WOS, Xanadu is back on for London with David Ian producing...fingers crossed its true... and fingers crossed Cheyenne comes with it!!
WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Xanadu London back on?#2
Posted: 5/30/08 at 6:28am
My office was working on its transfer and indeed it would be starting previews next week at the Duchess!!!-then it delayed until November but that meant they lost their desired theatre to 'Buddy' - next thing was the producers in NY got cold feet when the box office dived over there. The whole thing was put on hold and we know nothing about it as of months now.
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Xanadu London back on?#2
Posted: 5/30/08 at 6:57am
I think they would be mad to make a decision until after the Tonys in the US to see if its Box Office picks up since at the moment its not doing well.
If it doesn't pick up after the Tonys i suspect it will close not long after so any chance of a transfer will probably go up in smoke

But then again Wedding Singer flopped on Broadway closing in under a year and thats doing great business here
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Xanadu London back on?#3
Posted: 5/30/08 at 7:00am
'The Wedding Singer' was a hit film.
'Xanadu' wasnt.
Thats why 'Singer' is doing the business here.
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Xanadu London back on?#4
Posted: 5/30/08 at 7:04am
Yeah thats true
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Xanadu London back on?#5
Posted: 5/30/08 at 7:07am
Its easier to push a movie that was a moderate hit as a stage show than one that was a down and out flop that tries to be a 'new' musical!
Think how the general public feel- its their time its their money!
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Xanadu London back on?#6
Posted: 5/30/08 at 7:09am
Bring mr Jackson over, get him naked on the poster.....TA DA monster hit
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Xanadu London back on?#7
Posted: 5/30/08 at 7:17am
What u on bout 'monster'
Just bring him over!
Put im in Equus lol
NS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Xanadu London back on?#8
Posted: 5/30/08 at 7:22am
Wasnt Xanadu the movie a flop in the states to? so its the same situation really.

I agree if Xanadu wins at the Tonys and picks up business the chances are higher of a transfer. If they cast it well, and price it right (a la Avneue Q) it has potential, especially in the Duchess.

It does amaze me they dont use Cheyenne Jackson more in the advertising in the US, the guy is amazingly talented and sex on legs!
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Xanadu London back on?#9
Posted: 5/30/08 at 7:30am
you are so right...My husband is a babe lol

I dont think it stands a chance at winning any Tony (maybe best book at a push) but hopefully they will do a good enough performance on the telecast that it will up its dwindling sales
NS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Xanadu London back on?#10
Posted: 5/30/08 at 7:34am
husband...in your dreams! lol

I dont know, it could pull an Avenue Q and surprise everyone. It was quite a lacklust season. Its sales are slowly creeping up. Either way its been a lot more successful than people expected, which is great!
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Xanadu London back on?#11
Posted: 5/30/08 at 7:38am
The thing is though Xanadu has never done great business since it opened.It's normally around the 60 percent mark with its box office.Even when the Tonys were announced all the best musical nominees saw a rise in Box Office, i think Xanadu rose by a couple of percent
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Xanadu London back on?#12
Posted: 5/30/08 at 7:39am
Puppet sex sells ......!
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Xanadu London back on?#13
Posted: 5/30/08 at 7:43am
*giggles*
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Xanadu London back on?#14
Posted: 5/30/08 at 7:46am
Real sex....... sells out!
(i think im on about the wrong show here? lol)
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Xanadu London back on?#15
Posted: 5/30/08 at 10:07am
Any talk about an Australian production seems to have gone quiet here too. Pity, as it would probably do well here what with the "Livvy" connection.

I wouldn't expect too much from Xanadu at the Tonys, I think it will be all about In The Heights.

WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Xanadu London back on?#16
Posted: 5/30/08 at 10:14am
Strange isn't it because you would think if its gonna open and do well anywhere it would be down with you, what with the Olivia connection etc.
abitoftap Profile Photoabitoftap Profile Photo
abitoftap
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Xanadu London back on?#17
Posted: 5/30/08 at 2:15pm
Of the shows we saw in New York recently (Gypsy, In the Heights, Chorus Line, and Young Frankenstein) this was a big disappointment. It's OK, and vaguely amusing, but nothing beyond that.
Some good performances but nothing there..not even in an amusing way.

(Is David Ian bringing everything from NY?)
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Xanadu London back on?#18
Posted: 5/30/08 at 6:51pm
To call the film of Xanadu a flop is the understatment of the century. However, the creative team of the musical knew this and sort of felt when writing the show that they can't get any worse then the original movie. It is pure camp and at times takes shots at the original movie.

Now, keep in mind that I have yet to see it.

That being sad, There are people who know of the movie and know that it was/is bad. That alone is giving people cold feet about seeing the show.

And even though the Tonys are aired on American national TV. That does nothing in terms of raitings for the awards show and the whole idea (and this is what they say at the end of every Tonys telecast) that you should "come to New York and see a show." The ongoing problem and the reason why the channel that airs it is considering to drop it year in and year out is that the Tonys only attract the same people year in and year out. And those are the people who are already in love with Broadway and don't need to be convinced to watch it.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Xanadu London back on?#19
Posted: 6/2/08 at 2:42pm
http://www.playbill.com/news/article/118295.html

Looks like it really may happen
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Xanadu London back on?#20
Posted: 6/2/08 at 3:43pm
Hmmm. I'm choosing to stay cynical on this one. They're campaigning their asses off for the Tonys, this could be another prong of that. Remember last year, how 'Grey Gardens' was all "yeah, we're DEFINITELY opening in London, DEFINITELY!" around about Tony time? Still no sign of it. I'd rather have much more solid confirmation. Theatre, dates, possible cast; not just "oh yeah, we're DEFINITELY opening in London, DEFINITELY!". ^_^
TheatreBuzz2
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Xanadu London back on?#21
Posted: 6/2/08 at 7:54pm
Anyone else thin this could so work at The New London?
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Xanadu London back on?#22
Posted: 6/3/08 at 3:43am
When we worked with them last year they wanted the Duchess which they got. Then they were told of the New London but fussed about it being just a little too big! They then continued to fuss a little longer and lost the Duchess too. We arnt involved in this second attempt at it opening in 2009.
The New London, i dont think, is such a bad place for it.
Im with Weez on this i think and feel they may be just building false awareness around Tony time. The show wont win any Tonys, or none of any worth anyway, and i feel the show will pull out of London again.

Updated On: 6/3/08 at 03:43 AM
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Xanadu London back on?#23
Posted: 6/3/08 at 4:10am
It needs the Duchess, New London would be too big I would say. Duchess is perfect
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Xanadu London back on?#24
Posted: 6/3/08 at 7:12am
I really think this will sink faster than the Titanic