Page: 1

Who's taking over from Kerry Ellis in London?

david_rhysuk Profile Photodavid_rhysuk Profile Photo
david_rhysuk
Understudy
Understudy
Any ideas....
mrkringas Profile Photomrkringas Profile Photo
mrkringas
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Recycle???

Bump up CJ? Or perhaps we will see a swap with a US actor since she is returning to the role and that would fit with an Equity swap? Or another lead role is going to swap?

winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I don't know if any of the Broadway Elphaba's or Glinda's will do the west end show.

What I find sad is that the Broadway production is going to be five years old soon and they haven't had new blood in eiather of the roles of Elphaba or Glinda.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Hasn't Stephanie J Block just gone into the show?
New names are always being mentioned for the Broadway company, cast changes seem to happen much more frequently there than in London!
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
joe5 Profile Photojoe5 Profile Photo
joe5
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
In fact, there have been five new leads. In the last five years.
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A closing notice?

Well, some of us can hope anyways...
twitchy+bitchy+manic
Stand-by
Stand-by
sorry to dissapoint, exedore, but they're recasting afresh. Had audition last week or so, a friend of mine went up for it, so I'm guessing they're not doing any recycling for it. we could end up with a complete unknown playing her, from what I've haerd of the people that they're been auditiong. they forbade the use specifically of any songs from rent. :P
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Double disappointment but your gonna see green in Victoria for at least the next 18 months
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
While I'm pleased that Kerry Ellis is going to Broadway, I'm stumped to think who could replace her if she is indeed coming back at the end of the year. How about Sheridan Smith, Emma Williams or even *shudders* Connie Fisher as possible Elphabas?

BTW, the London production has recouped its entire budget which is good news as well.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Emma maybe but the other two NO NO NO! Sheridan is fantastic but i dont think her voice is strong enough for 'Wicked' -as fab as she belted 'Little Shop'!
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Wickedboy,

As I am sure you realize, on Broadway there are shorter contracts then in London. In London most people do a full year then move on.

Broadway you can be in a show for as short as 6 months.

As for Block, She came into the show at the beginning of the fall to replace Murney who was the Elphaba on tour for a while.

And, I don't think that Wicked has gotten to the point where they are constently recycleing cast members. Instead, they are starting to bump people up from the tour. But, now that I think of it I can see how that can be considered a form of recycling because they are bringing in someone who was in the show before but just in a different company of it.

Just wish they would put someone on in the Broadway company who has never done Elphaba or Glinda before in any form or fashion.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Winston, i work in casting!! Youre talking to someone who knows how hard it is or indeed easy it is to cast and/ or recast a show.
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I just find it funny that it is the same casting director that does wicked and rent. And both shows have had a history of recycle casting.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
If that is what a director/ producer wants, if thats what brings in the audience then that in the end is what will get cast! Its a business!
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The cast recycling is quite a good idea for Wicked as many fans of the show in the US and the world have their favourite Elphaba or Glinda and so by casting them in the Broadway, LA etc production you can attract repeat business from those fans.

Whose knows, The London production could even get Willemijn Verkaik, the German Elphaba.
JIJane
Stand-by
Stand-by
They just finished first round auditions for this show including the two leads.
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Wicked, just to let you know, I'm available for panto or Xanadu, if you're looking!
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
We need a few Ugly Sisters- thanks!
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I've still got the legs of a principal boy!
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Give them back to him then!
More like the legs of a kitchen table!
God its only Feb and we're in pantoland already! stop!
Updated On: 2/27/08 at 11:11 AM
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Wickedboy, I agree. However, with something like Rent there was what seemed like a list that was 20 or so names long. And they just kept reusing the same list in random order for the past few years. The problem is that they are in this great show and they are sleep walking through it as if they can think of a dozen other places they would rather been then up on the stage of the Nederlander 8 times a week.

I am just not a fan of the recycling of cast members. I can and agree with bringing up people from the tour. Being brought up from a tour should be and is a promotion. But, I think that bringing up someone who did the same role a year ago shows lack of effort in bringing in talent from the directors standpoint.

I am not getting mad at the actors/actresses for taking the job. I know that they are making a living working essentially freelance and they need a job.