Page: 1

Live Theatre Returns to London's Haymarket!

WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Live Theatre Returns to London's Haymarket!

THE CARLTON THEATRE HAYMARKET
-now know as Cineworld Cinemas 123
Something interesting has just happened in Londons Haymarket. Two of Londons most famous theatres (Her Majestys and Theatre Royal) already have prominent homes there but now there is a third. The new stage adaption of 'Brief Encounter' has been on stage now for over a week at the Cineworld Haymarket. The production by Kneehigh Theatre has converted the larger of the 3 screens into a multi use theatre. 'Brief Encounter' uses a mix of live theatre and film to tell its story. The original plan was to have the two smaller screens in the former stalls screen old black and white movies to tie in with the stage presentation but fell thru.

The news today is that these two screens have been closed and mothballed and the screens and projection equipment removed from the building. This can only mean a return of live theatre to the building on a permanent basis. Rumor has it, that if 'Brief Encounter ' is even a moderate success other shows will move in and the other spaces around the building will be turned into art galleries and cafes.
This means live theatre has returned to the former Carlton Theatre for the first time since 1929!!!
Great to see live theatre coming back to cinemas that were lost due to cinema and TV decades ago.

www.seebriefencounter.com

Great website!

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Updated On: 2/9/08 at 01:05 PM
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think i'll pop along and see this tonite, Saturday.
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
You are going to "pop" ?
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
English for 'im going to go along to.....'

exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
WickedBoy: But did you like it?

I really liked how Kneehigh used the space and merged the film and live feelings...full review at the link of course. =)