Tired Billy

lotiloti Profile Photolotiloti Profile Photo
lotiloti
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Tired Billy#1
Posted: 1/25/08 at 8:43pm
Just back from seeing 'Billy Elliot' (8th time). Oh dear, sadly it's looking and sounding very tired. All performances were generally poor. Everyone seems to be,just saying their lines. Going through the motions. It's in desperate need of a revamp, or should close. I would hate it to become another 'Les Miz'.
Boybooshka Profile PhotoBoybooshka Profile Photo
Boybooshka
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Tired Billy#2
Posted: 1/26/08 at 12:41pm
perhaps after eight visits its you who are tired?
WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Tired Billy#2
Posted: 1/26/08 at 12:46pm
Its ridiculous when people come on and blab on about how awful a show has become and the performances are tired etc etc etc and then state that they've seen it over a thousand times in 6 weeks!!!! Darling, the show hasnt been open that long, not even 3 years and you've seen it 8 times -save your pocket money for a new show and stop making stupid remarks on here.
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Tired Billy#3
Posted: 1/26/08 at 1:46pm
I agree

why the hell would you go and see a shows EIGHT times in 3 years, you are probably tired off it.

And if the cast were off their game the night you saw it then it hardly calls for closure, shows which i did with long runs sometimes become a little tedious and every so often your performance is a little off.

Give them a break (and go and see something new)
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
turquoisefish Profile Phototurquoisefish Profile Photo
turquoisefish
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Tired Billy#4
Posted: 1/26/08 at 2:13pm
why the hell would you go and see a shows EIGHT times in 3 years, you are probably tired off it.

I kind of agree. I have seen Wicked more times than is healthy since it openend, but only once since Dianne took over from Helen - nothing to do with the cast change but I just got a bit bored of it.
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Tired Billy#5
Posted: 1/26/08 at 3:16pm
8 times in 3 years? Thats quite alot, although im guilty of seeing Avenue Q 4 times in a year and a half, and also Blood Brothers 3 times in 2 weeks when it was on tour up here. If I ever went and felt it was "tired" I would put it down to me having see it so many times.
NS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Tired Billy#6
Posted: 1/26/08 at 3:59pm
Bit surprised at peoples strong reactions to this.

Although I agree 8 times in 3 years is a lot, so what? if the person wants to see a show that many times let them. It is not for us to say or judge them on that alone. We all have our favourites. But I do agree allowances should be made that maybe you have seen it too many times and may need a break from it. On the other hand someone who knows a show that well would potentially spot things that werent up to usual standards.

As for it becoming another Les Miz, so what? Les Miz is in great shape at the mo.

Shows do just have off days. I saw Wicked in September and it was definately not right and lacked any energy. I was even with a major Wicked fan and they had to agree - something was lacking and we were both really shocked. Probably not helped by a half empty theatre that night. Other couple of times ive seen it and its been brilliant.

Again saw Phantom a few years back and it looked VERY tired, and i have to say I came out thinking it maybe was time to close (granted a much longer run than billy). Then I saw it last August because Ramin Karimloo was on as Phantom and it was like another show. Amazing and reminded me of why it is the hit it is. Saw it again last week - still brilliant.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Tired Billy#7
Posted: 1/26/08 at 4:02pm
Yea but they have come on here specially to pull the show down!
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
NS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Tired Billy#8
Posted: 1/26/08 at 4:05pm
True, but it is a discussion board. No difference really to the people who were slagging off Susan and Rent end of last year on here.

Could have been better phrased or asked if anybody else had seen it recently and agreed. that way youd know whether it was an off night or not.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Tired Billy#9
Posted: 1/26/08 at 4:08pm
Some people just 'go' for the sake of going -they dont go for any artistic reason what so ever- just to sit there and say 'right ive seen this 8 times now'. believe me i was in a show or two when this craze started and ive seen it get worse thru friends who are in the theatre today!
NS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Tired Billy#10
Posted: 1/26/08 at 4:12pm
True. Must admit I normally know if a show is looking tired or im tired of it. Due to work in past ive had to sit through many shows multiple times and there is definately a difference in feeling between the two
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Tired Billy#11
Posted: 1/26/08 at 4:19pm
A big part of my job now is to sit the shows many times and its sometimes is such a struggle even with a top class first rate show.
Also, i just thought, its showing great disrespect to the performers paying comments like that!
NS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Tired Billy#12
Posted: 1/26/08 at 4:24pm
'A big part of my job now is to sit the shows many times and its sometimes is such a struggle even with a top class first rate show.'

Totally agree, although the better the show the easier it is. I normally find its the bits I dont like just get worse or longer the more youd see them

'Also, i just thought, its showing great disrespect to the performers paying comments like that!'

Yes, but is that not true on anyone who slats a show/performer on a board?
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Tired Billy#13
Posted: 1/26/08 at 4:26pm
on first viewing yes, but not after multiple visits
NS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Tired Billy#14
Posted: 1/26/08 at 4:29pm
Yeah true, if you dont like someone/a show I guess you wouldnt see it again, and if you did you cant really moan.

I think the thing is to provide constructive criticism and not just slate it.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Tired Billy#15
Posted: 1/26/08 at 4:31pm
if this person sat in anywhere near decent seats for 8 performaces your talking about an average of 400 or more! I wish!
Updated On: 1/26/08 at 04:31 PM
NS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Tired Billy#16
Posted: 1/26/08 at 4:33pm
lol mind you if I added up what I spend on theatre over last year or so id probably gve myself a heart attack
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Tired Billy#17
Posted: 1/26/08 at 4:37pm
me too and i see 90% of what i see on comps! but still...
Boybooshka
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Tired Billy#18
Posted: 1/26/08 at 7:20pm
now your both just showing off :), Damn i need to get a job in Theatre, lol.
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Tired Billy#19
Posted: 1/27/08 at 6:29am
I spent 450 last year on going to the theatre on 27 visits. Expensive hobby but considering thats an average of about 16 a show it aint bad.

I really want to see Billy this year, I live right next to where it is set and the film was shot at the town 5 mins drive from me so i want to see how they interpret it.
Boybooshka
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Tired Billy#20
Posted: 1/27/08 at 7:45am
16 a show aint bad, i probably spent a similar amount not counting hotels and transport down to the big smoke.

btw Billy is stunningly good, my favourite show at the moment.
ruthiefan_felix Profile Photoruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Tired Billy#21
Posted: 1/27/08 at 8:42am
I saw the show late last year, havin last seen the show on George MacGuire's last performance and I do agree it just looked tired. I'm not sure if it was the actual performers who's done it for nearly 2 years now or the audiences who didn't respond much. It just didnt look/sound as good as it used to.
All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Tired Billy#22
Posted: 1/27/08 at 9:11am
Nothing as good as your first time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bruce Memblagh!
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Tired Billy#23
Posted: 1/27/08 at 9:13am
I think it is a bit off to criticise people for seeing things many times. It is their money and why on earth shouldn't they see something they clearly like again and again? As we all know, even seeing the same show several times is different each time, not least with just one or two new cast members. And I am sure such people see other shows too. Besides, where do we draw line line - seeing a show twice could be considered excessive!!! Again, who cares - let someone see whatever show they like as much as they want to.

Besides, for some things, seeing a show more than once can really enhance the experience as you discover new things, nuances and the like to the production. It did for me with Sunday in the Park, Light in the Piazza, Caroline or Change to name just three.

As for tiredness of the show, well that could just be a one-off. Indeed the same could be said of almost any show, regardless of how long it has been running where the odd performance just does not gel as a whole.

The length of time a show has been running is no indication of how stale or tired it comes across: many longer-runners still deliver performances that are as fresh and vibrant as when they opened. Similarly, many newly opened shows can show signs of tiredness.

Wicked, for instance, which I happen to like: I saw it a 3rd time the November 2006 after only been open a few months and it was one of the most lacklustre performances I have ever seen of it, both in London and in NY. Yet a few months later when I revisited it, it worked a treat for me.

Les Miserables - saw some very dull, emotionless performances of it some years back and vowed never to see it again. Then of course I did sometime later and it had the power to move me as if I had barely seen it. Ditto with many other shows.
Updated On: 1/27/08 at 09:13 AM
ruthiefan_felix Profile Photoruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Tired Billy#24
Posted: 1/27/08 at 7:56pm
I don't think there's anything wrong that someone watches a show for more than once! And yes, some shows are just better watching them more than once!... I wished I saw Caroline & Sunday more than once! *sad*
All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings