Page: 1

Mary Poppins - Au Revoir

nshreeve Profile Photonshreeve Profile Photo
nshreeve
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Mary Poppins - Au Revoir#1
Posted: 1/11/08 at 3:23pm
So, after 3 fantastic years, Mary is finally leaving London! Anybody got any high points of the shows run? LMK's last night was definitely mine!
Nosferatu Profile PhotoNosferatu Profile Photo
Nosferatu
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Mary Poppins - Au Revoir#2
Posted: 1/11/08 at 5:18pm
I'm pretty sad even though before I saw it in June 2005 I was afraid it would be too different from Stevenson's movie. Actually, it is but it had a good book and good songs. The staging was swell as well as the actors' performance. Saw it twice and I'd like to see it again. But as would say Mrs Brill "Au revoir" means "till we meet again", which is partly correct !
Sarah bernhardt to a fellow actress: "Have you got stage fright, dear?" "No," the young lady aswered astonished. "Don't worry, it will come along with talent!"
ruthiefan_felix Profile Photoruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Mary Poppins - Au Revoir#2
Posted: 1/11/08 at 9:24pm
Sad to see it leave tmw!!! Will be attending the last night, I guess that'll be the highlight! Laura as Mary, Creel as Bert both are highlights from the many times I've visited the show.
All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings
zerodanny Profile Photozerodanny Profile Photo
zerodanny
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Mary Poppins - Au Revoir#3
Posted: 1/12/08 at 12:46am
Very sad that Mary is leaving London! My highlights has to be Lisa O'Hare playing Mary beautyfully, saw her many times, and Gavin Creel as Bert. Really looking forward to see who is going to play Mary on tour.
**Anything Can Happen If You Let It** SUPERCALIFRAGILISTICEXPIALIDOCIOUS
Updated On: 1/12/08 at 12:46 AM
kec Profile Photokec Profile Photo
kec
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Mary Poppins - Au Revoir#4
Posted: 1/12/08 at 8:28am
I wish I could be at the final performance, but alas, I'm across the pond. I'll have to console myself with seeing a Mary Poppins alumnis at the Kennedy Center in Washington -- Lisa O'Hare in MY FAIR LADY. re: Mary Poppins - Au Revoir

I ended up seeing the show five times on various visits to the UK -- twice with the original cast. I loved both Gavins as Bert. I haven't seen the show in NY yet, hopefully soon.
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Mary Poppins - Au Revoir#5
Posted: 1/12/08 at 9:30am
Im not to sad as i have to sit through it for 3 months at the end of this year lol
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Scissorhands2
Swing
Swing
re: Mary Poppins - Au Revoir#6
Posted: 1/12/08 at 11:01am
Hi, I'm new and I 'am Italian, so sorry for my English. I know few things about musicals and I have a question for you all.
I heard a lot of wonderful things about Mary Poppins and I have always thought that this show are making a lot of money. So, why they are closing it? Is it normal for such a big production like this? Other famous and beautiful shows run for a much longer period... Maybe it is a flop and I did'n know.
Thank you

Updated On: 1/12/08 at 11:01 AM
Scissorhands2
Swing
Swing
re: Mary Poppins - Au Revoir#7
Posted: 1/12/08 at 11:01am
Hi, I'm new and I 'am Italian, so sorry for my English. I know few things about musicals and I have a question for you all.
I heard a lot of wonderful things about Mary Poppins and I have always thought that this show are making a lot of money. So, why they are closing it? Is it normal for such a big production like this? Other famous and beautiful shows run for a much longer period... Maybe it is a flop and I did'n know.
Thank you
WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Mary Poppins - Au Revoir#8
Posted: 1/12/08 at 11:05am
Its been on stage now for 3 years and is about to tour -its not a flop by any means. it played at a big theatre for those 3 years. Welcome and dont worry about your English -its fine!
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Scissorhands2
Swing
Swing
re: Mary Poppins - Au Revoir#9
Posted: 1/12/08 at 11:09am
Thank you very much!!!

But other shows (like The Lion King and other famous ones)continued to run in London. Is it an indication of something? Why they decided to stop staging MP in London? Other famous shows did so?
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Mary Poppins - Au Revoir#10
Posted: 1/12/08 at 11:17am
Mary Poppins did well enough in london, but the audiences started to dwindle away so the box office went down.

Its by no means a flop but its hardly a run away hit either, its played long enough to make its money back and now that audiences have stopped flocking to the show they have made the wise decision to close it and take it on a UK tour.

Welcome to the Board by the way xx
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Scissorhands2
Swing
Swing
re: Mary Poppins - Au Revoir#11
Posted: 1/12/08 at 11:30am
Great!!

Thank you very much!! :)
WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Mary Poppins - Au Revoir#12
Posted: 1/12/08 at 11:33am
It turned a profit with a very large company, big theatre- thats pretty good going these days. Many shows only wish for half of what 'Poppins' did.

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Nosferatu Profile PhotoNosferatu Profile Photo
Nosferatu
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Mary Poppins - Au Revoir#13
Posted: 1/12/08 at 3:04pm
Welcome "Edward" re: Mary Poppins - Au Revoir!
I do hope it will come back to the West End after a while for it is a bloody good show !
Sarah bernhardt to a fellow actress: "Have you got stage fright, dear?" "No," the young lady aswered astonished. "Don't worry, it will come along with talent!"
AvenueQResident Profile PhotoAvenueQResident Profile Photo
AvenueQResident
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Mary Poppins - Au Revoir#14
Posted: 1/12/08 at 4:11pm
Wonderful show, really enjoyed this stage adaptation and I look forward to seeing it again on tour :)
Everything in life...is only for now.
kec
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Mary Poppins - Au Revoir#15
Posted: 1/13/08 at 7:14pm
So? To those who were there -- how was the last performance? Anything intersting happen?
TheatreBuzz2
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Mary Poppins - Au Revoir#16
Posted: 1/13/08 at 8:38pm
what a wonderful last night. gavin made a speech that had us all in tears, cast and us in the audience.

it was lovely, but also very sad. having been there through the launch, the bristol run, opening night, the raves and now to closing night. its gone very fast but it was wonderful to witness it all. such a thoughtful musical in all ways, which is something ever so rare in theatreland now. we had a lovely time working with mary poppins in the west end. i am sure the tour will be an enormous success.
kec
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Mary Poppins - Au Revoir#17
Posted: 1/13/08 at 9:01pm
What did Gavin say?
kec
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Mary Poppins - Au Revoir#18
Posted: 1/13/08 at 9:01pm
Ooops, sorry double post.
Updated On: 1/14/08 at 09:01 PM
TheatreBuzz2
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Mary Poppins - Au Revoir#19
Posted: 1/13/08 at 9:02pm
Just what it means to be on stage in the musical and how lucky he feels...the cast were in tears!
kec
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Mary Poppins - Au Revoir#20
Posted: 1/13/08 at 9:51pm
Thanks... he talks about the last performance and the speech on his blog.

Gavin Creel's website
Updated On: 1/14/08 at 09:51 PM
MH2 Profile PhotoMH2 Profile Photo
MH2
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Mary Poppins - Au Revoir#21
Posted: 1/14/08 at 2:43am
The last shows were fantastic, I was lucky to be at the last three shows, one better than the other! So sad to see it go, but am already looking forward to seeing it during the tour!
Having been to one of the previews in Bristol and seeing the closing night now and to so many more shows inbetween, I am still wondering where the last 3 1/2 years went! These years passed by so quickly!
The cast was amazing, and I was delighted to see that they got all the current kids, the swings and a lot of the tech guys etc onstage at the end as well and Gavin's speech was so touching!
Updated On: 1/14/08 at 02:43 AM
bill73
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Mary Poppins - Au Revoir#22
Posted: 1/14/08 at 8:20am
I saw the last night too, and it really was brilliant... there was a real sense of affection in the audience - I may be wrong, but I think there were a number in there who were really sad it was leaving, as if the West End 'needs' shows like this (which I agree with!)... as buzz said earlier, a rare "thoughtful" musical. And then by the time they'd done the bows, and did another reprise of "Super...", it was like a rock concert in terms of atmosphere!!

I hope it does come back at some point, and I really hope the tour does the show justice - I'm sure it will, as although the London production was a true spectacular, I realised on Saturday that it is the sentiment of the show that is its real charm, and that shouldn't get lost, even if one or two of the most spectacular elements get lost.

Right, I'll stop waffling now and bathe in nostalgic memories of Saturday!