Page: 1

'Xanadu' CD U.S release

WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
'Xanadu' CD U.S release#1
Posted: 12/16/07 at 7:10pm
Im in NY at the moment (Sep13-1'Xanadu' CD U.S releaseand am involved in the transfer of 'Xanadu' to London next June /July. I had the pleasure of seeing the last 20/30 mins of the show again the other night and the buzz in that theatre really is brilliant. The show is camp and stupid with a big heart with great performances from the small cast of just 10.
NOW what i dont understand is how 0% of this has transfered to the most awful and incredibly boring cast recording since, since i dont know when. It is dreadful. I await other peoples comments on the CD as they get them. If this is what a lot of London theatregoers are going to get as their taster for next years London production then i/we have a lot of work to do.

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Updated On: 12/22/07 at 07:10 PM
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Xanadu' CD U.S release#2
Posted: 12/17/07 at 2:02pm
I'm really disappointed with the cd- perhaps I was looking forward to it too much.
NS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: 'Xanadu' CD U.S release#2
Posted: 12/20/07 at 3:38am
I was listening to this on the way into work today and I wouldnt say its boring, but I think its probably just a show you need to see to appreciate the cast recording. Its enjoyable enough, but I think when you can associate it with something it works better. I found the same with The Producers, didnt enjoy the cast recording until i saw the show.

If it does come over Caroline Sheen would be great in the female lead.
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Xanadu' CD U.S release#3
Posted: 12/20/07 at 7:49am
Its a very flat recording and even though im not a huge fan of the show i do love the music for the cheese factor but it just has not been captured well here
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Xanadu' CD U.S release#4
Posted: 12/20/07 at 7:23pm
Having now seen' Xanadu' 2 and half times i can tell that this CD will put more people off seeing the show than will rush for its West End opening in July! The theatre experience is a good night but the CD is a flat as a Elphaba's tit. Its a missed opportunity to have done a camp, fun cast recording. The worst about the recording is that we have to listen her dreadful Australian accent
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Xanadu' CD U.S release#5
Posted: 12/21/07 at 12:11am
I assume they sell this at the theatre, do they also sell the original soundtrack? You'd expect that the cast recording should at least be as good as the soundtrack to compete.

There was a thread about the Australian accent on the Broadway Board some time ago, strangely enough the Americans didn't realise that it was a BAD Australian accent!!!
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Xanadu' CD U.S release#6
Posted: 12/21/07 at 7:43am
isnt she supposed to be taking the mic out of the Australian accent, thats what i got from it when i watched it
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Xanadu' CD U.S release#7
Posted: 12/21/07 at 10:26am
Its not exactly taking the mick its supposed tro be part of her disguise but its not done in a good way its almost an insult if you most people i know. Colleagues who have only heard the CD are dumbfounded at the awfullness of it! (the CD and the accent lol!)

alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Xanadu' CD U.S release#8
Posted: 12/21/07 at 7:09pm
That's just it songanddanceman2, the American audiences don't realise that it is a bad accent - so what is the point of doing it?
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Xanadu' CD U.S release#9
Posted: 12/21/07 at 9:18pm
Alterego, im sure your ears couldnt not believe what they were hearing! lol
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Xanadu' CD U.S release#10
Posted: 12/22/07 at 12:19am
I saw some of it on The View - you are right I (and others) couldn't believe it. Americans can't do an Australian accent - even Meryl failed.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Xanadu' CD U.S release#11
Posted: 12/22/07 at 3:23am
lol Meryl certainly cant do accents!
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Xanadu' CD U.S release#12
Posted: 12/22/07 at 8:13am
When i was i9n the states last, an american asked me what part of Australia i was from lol
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Xanadu' CD U.S release#13
Posted: 12/22/07 at 8:43am
Exactly! See what I mean.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Xanadu' CD U.S release#14
Posted: 12/22/07 at 10:28am
Im Welsh and when im there they think i'm German or Australian!!! (maybe its because im tall, broad, blonde and gorgeous!!- shut it! -OK OK im just a broad!)
Updated On: 12/22/07 at 10:28 AM
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Xanadu' CD U.S release#15
Posted: 12/22/07 at 11:19am
hehehehehe
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Xanadu' CD U.S release#16
Posted: 12/22/07 at 8:27pm
wickedboy2 - that reminds me of a friend of mine who used to describe himself as having "strong Nordic good looks" on dating websites. In fact he was dark, short and fat. lol.
Broadway_Bound_Star Profile PhotoBroadway_Bound_Star Profile Photo
Broadway_Bound_Star
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Xanadu' CD U.S release#17
Posted: 12/23/07 at 6:32pm
I'm getting it for christmas, and I couldn't be more excited!!!
Parsley
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: 'Xanadu' CD U.S release#18
Posted: 12/24/07 at 5:05am
"Im Welsh and when im there they think i'm German or Australian!!! (maybe its because im tall, broad, blonde and gorgeous!!- shut it! -OK OK im just a broad!) "

Oh the image that is forming: Bacardi and coke then, Myfanwi?
luke-h*** Profile Photoluke-h*** Profile Photo
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Xanadu' CD U.S release#19
Posted: 12/24/07 at 5:08pm
i a bit of it in Dress Circle, in too much fo a rush to listen to it all, but listened to Xanadu, All Over the World and Evil Woman...sounds okay, especially Kerry, although she seems to carry the whole thing, think i'm getting it for xmas, so i'll listen to it properly then
THEATRE 2016: Grey Gardens; SwkPlayhouse, Cats; London Palladium, Into the Woods; Royal Exchange, Show Boat; Sheffield Crucible, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Prsicilla Queen of the Desert; UK Tour, Narrative; RWCMD, Mojo; RWCMD, The Barber of Seville; WNO, Rabbit Hole; Hampstead, The Marriage of Figaro; WNO, Figaro Gets a Divorce; WNO, Tom: The Musical; UK Tour Upcoming: Anything Can Happen; RWCMD, Cysgy'n Brys'ur, Long Day's Journey Into Night; Bristol Old Vic, Only the Brave, The Caretaker; The Old Vic, People Places and Things, Blue/Orange; Young Vic, Bernadette Peters, Carole King, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Xanadu' CD U.S release#20
Posted: 12/28/07 at 8:15pm
Parsley your gonna get a turkey leg across your screach for that comment! How very dare you!!! LOL