Off West End / Off Broadway

WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Off West End / Off Broadway#1
Posted: 11/13/07 at 3:34pm
Discuss.
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Off West End / Off Broadway#2
Posted: 11/13/07 at 3:40pm
Apart from the Menier, I haven't experienced an Off West End Show, I tend to go to either commercial shows or not for profit theatres like the Donmar, Royal Court or National.

Is the Arts Theatre off West End as I'm seeing Alex in two weeks.
Nosferatu Profile PhotoNosferatu Profile Photo
Nosferatu
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Off West End / Off Broadway#2
Posted: 11/13/07 at 3:56pm
When I was at school and still today I loved going to the theatre to see what in France we call "creation" and it's off-everything. lol

Most of the time engaged theatre of real quality and the best thing: not pricy!
Sarah bernhardt to a fellow actress: "Have you got stage fright, dear?" "No," the young lady aswered astonished. "Don't worry, it will come along with talent!"
Updated On: 11/13/07 at 03:56 PM
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Off West End / Off Broadway#3
Posted: 11/13/07 at 6:01pm
Off West End seems very limited.

This is probably out of step with current thinking, but I am increasingly disappointed/ Frustrated with the Chocolate Factory. Perhaps they got too successful too quickly, but it seems now they only produce with a view to a transfer. Many times the show doesn't even fit properly in their home venue- so many people have said' "oh it'll look much better when it transfers.

And what's more now if something doesn't transfer, such as The Last 5 years, it is considered a failure, instead of the occasional transfer being considered an exceptional success.

I hope La Cage really suits the space- it could do, but I haven't seen the designs yet. If the show squeezes in and looks like it is only waiting to move into town, that will be really quite insulting to the Chocolate Factory audience.
ullabelt
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Off West End / Off Broadway#4
Posted: 11/14/07 at 10:50am
what a great topic!

i cant remember which Theatres are officilly Off West End rather than fringe... The Chocolate Factory and The Kings Head are both off west end. What are the others? (from what I remember being told theres only about 4)

I agree with alot of whats been said about the chocolate factory. I find them very disapointing. I wih they wuld take a risk on new shows but they dont they only deal in american shows that have already been produced. Although I hink Take Flight was the exception? Is that correct?

However with all the talk of 'off west end' or 'fringe' or 'god why cant we have any new british musicals!' we can only blame ourselves if we dont actually go...

The west end isnt going to be producing anything new unless its based on a film/tv show or written by a very established writer This is somthing we need to get to grips with... but if people would just take a chance and go and give smaller theatres the support they need then we'd have more chance of shows coming into town. And apart from that the smaller shows are generally a thousand times more artistic and often better anyway.

maybe we shud have a broadway world pact to go and see an off west end/fringe show every two weeks>?! hehehe for the future of music theatre!!

As much as the British love to slate the Americans just look at the culture for off broadway they have. England seems to think of small as bad and large as great.. kinda sad. (im British by the way)

thoughts?
Jade Profile PhotoJade Profile Photo
Jade
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Off West End / Off Broadway#5
Posted: 11/14/07 at 3:53pm
I'm also British, and I didn't realise we had an official "off West End" in the same way as NY has "off Broadway" and "off off Broadway." I always thought it was West End and... everything else.

BTW, does anyone know what the Apollo Victoria and Victoria Palace (housing, respectively, Wicked and Billy Elliott) are classed as? Because they're big and prestigious I think of them as West End theatres, even though they're not actually in the West End.
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Off West End / Off Broadway#6
Posted: 11/14/07 at 5:51pm
The AP and VA are West End houses.

The 'off West End' was coined about 7 or 8 years ago, I seem to remember. There was quite a lot of fuss when Time Out started to decide what to include within off West End and Fringe listings.
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Off West End / Off Broadway#7
Posted: 11/14/07 at 6:06pm
to be fair we really dont have an off West End.

I prefer the regional small fringe venues which house new works etc
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
ullabelt
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Off West End / Off Broadway#8
Posted: 11/14/07 at 6:21pm
ok well to start of a new trend... the guy who does the voice of homer simpson is in a musical at the kings head. not so much a musical as a zany musical romp kinda like league of gentleman!
chrissydee Profile Photochrissydee Profile Photo
chrissydee
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Off West End / Off Broadway#9
Posted: 11/15/07 at 1:17pm
as much as we rave about the Chocolate factpry its actually the other off-west end shows and theatres that are more orginal, daring, and in many ways more succesful.

I saw "Get Happy!" at the Kings Head theatre and loved it, I also saw their Peter Pan at christmas. Its a gorgeous little space, just like the Bridewell, not sure what that is considerd as.

I agree with Ulla Belt (such a camp name- i hope you are a 60yr old man with john barrowman posters everywhere!!) that these theatres need our support.... if we go along and watch the new, exciting british musicals then it should get the bigger producers interested and maybe we will see more British work emerge on to the West End stage....!

Good Topic! :)
ullabelt
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Off West End / Off Broadway#10
Posted: 11/15/07 at 6:09pm
haha chrissy i totally agree... but im not a 60 year old man... i just like theatre... not john barrowmna... gimme Christopher Sieber anyday!
Paulyd Profile PhotoPaulyd Profile Photo
Paulyd
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Off West End / Off Broadway#11
Posted: 11/17/07 at 8:52am
I saw 'Get Happy' at the Kings Head as well and have to agree that it was a great show in a fantastic little venue. Because of the small space you really feel that they are performing just for you.