Page: 1

Aspects of Love - Worth going to see?

Boybooshka Profile PhotoBoybooshka Profile Photo
Boybooshka
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Aspects of Love - Worth going to see?#1
Posted: 10/19/07 at 1:10pm
Has anybody been to see the current tour of Aspects of Love? Was toying with the idea of seeing it when it visits the Palace next week, is it worth it?
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Aspects of Love - Worth going to see?#2
Posted: 10/19/07 at 1:18pm
I work at the palace so will let you know after it opens on Tuesday
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Boybooshka
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Aspects of Love - Worth going to see?#2
Posted: 10/19/07 at 1:22pm
Thanks, but if i went it would be Tuesday so your no help at all, lol.
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Aspects of Love - Worth going to see?#3
Posted: 10/19/07 at 3:12pm
hahaha well then i cant help *grabs tiara and walks off* lol
Boybooshka
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Aspects of Love - Worth going to see?#4
Posted: 10/19/07 at 3:53pm
lol, at least you tried to help.

do you know how its selling at the Palace?

songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Aspects of Love - Worth going to see?#5
Posted: 10/19/07 at 7:41pm
its not done bad at all apparently in sales so be quick if u want to book for tues
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Aspects of Love - Worth going to see?#6
Posted: 10/19/07 at 7:44pm
I'm not much use to you either as I'm not seeing it until November myself lol!!!
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Aspects of Love - Worth going to see?#7
Posted: 10/20/07 at 8:18am
And I'm not going at all, but I just wanted to join in.

It was a lovely production at the Prince of Wales, though.
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Aspects of Love - Worth going to see?#8
Posted: 10/21/07 at 6:26pm
The show has flaws but this production is certainly worth seeing. There is a review on broadwayworld, following the staging in Cardiff in September:

http://westend.broadwayworld.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=21717
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
JustJakUK Profile PhotoJustJakUK Profile Photo
JustJakUK
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Aspects of Love - Worth going to see?#9
Posted: 10/21/07 at 7:10pm
I got my tickets for Bromley. This score is always a pleasure to hear. "I am a mermaid with golden hair" It doesn't get any better. I'm just concerned that they might have skimped on the orchestra. You know that beautiful interlude where little Jenny turns into big Jenny, the melody jumps around from the cello to the flute....I bet that is all gone. We shall see.

"But with you I made an impression
That will last you a lifetime"
Rose Vibert (Aspects of Love)
david_rhysuk Profile Photodavid_rhysuk Profile Photo
david_rhysuk
Understudy
Understudy
re: Aspects of Love - Worth going to see?#10
Posted: 10/22/07 at 5:47pm
It's OK. Although I was bored and looking at my watch a bit. The performers are good, Shona is amazing especially 'Anything But Lonely'. If your ALW fan you'll appreciate the music, just prepare yourself for boring parts. :oD
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Aspects of Love - Worth going to see?#11
Posted: 10/25/07 at 9:55am
Well im not allowed to review the show under my name on here as the lovely people at the palace have said they will have me assassinated (they are soooooo extreme) but i will be posting a review under another name

All i can really say here is Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Aspects of Love - Worth going to see?#12
Posted: 10/25/07 at 10:06am
This a totally new production. I know that the general feeling about productions of 'Aspects' in the past has been that the first national tour that ended its run at the Prince Of Wales (1993) is regarded as the best of any so far. The original (1989 )was a great production and i worked on it at the POW for a year. I feel that the first tour was a superb production, beatifully staged and i dont really understand the need for a new one now. It isnt selling that well from reports ive heard despite them putting David Essex into a role so unsuitable for him. Whats the houses like in Manchester SADM2? -its a big house there!
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Bruce Memblagh!
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Aspects of Love - Worth going to see?#13
Posted: 10/25/07 at 3:28pm
It's a good musical and very well written IMO but like ANY musical, it is down to personal taste as to whether or not you enjoy it. Some of it drags but then the original novella dragged
DeNada
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Aspects of Love - Worth going to see?#14
Posted: 10/25/07 at 4:48pm
There's an advert in the Stage this week for someone to take over from Matt Rawle in the New Year playing Alex. Any idea why he's leaving the production?

I'm not a huge fan of his - although I never saw him perform the role, I'm not a fan of his Che on the Evita revival recording and his Martin Guerre does nothing for me - but I'd be interested to know what he's doing next.
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Aspects of Love - Worth going to see?#15
Posted: 10/25/07 at 6:41pm
I personally dont think it is a great show, its very slow and weak on plot and is filled with a bunch of unlikeable characters.The score is also very repetitious (more so than his other works).

This production is fine and the cast are great including Mr Essex but its just a weak show

Matt has been offered another job
mrkringas Profile Photomrkringas Profile Photo
mrkringas
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Aspects of Love - Worth going to see?#16
Posted: 10/25/07 at 8:32pm
Quite busy in the stalls tonight. Student seats in row G for 12.50...bargain!

David Essex was rather good although my non musical geek friend asked me why he didnt "sing' anything which prompted explanation of recitativere: Aspects of Love - Worth going to see?

I detest Matt Rawle's vocal tone. Decent actor but god no. Its all so nasal and awful.

Shona Lindsay and Poppy Tierney made this one worth seeing. Especially Shona singing "Anything But Lonely". When she belted out those Es I finally woke up! That and "Hand Me the Wine and Dice" were the only moments that energised me as an audience member.

However I echo songanddanceman2 in that its just a weak show that repeats itself with not much to say.
Parsley
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Aspects of Love - Worth going to see?#17
Posted: 10/26/07 at 4:02am
It is not a bad show but it is a bit tedious in places and Matt Rawle personifies annoyance in a performance.

Although give me Aspects with its (bland) charm over the glut of arguably crap, but nonetheless somewhat popular shows out there over the years: WWRY - great songs, poor "plot"; the overblown pointlessness and repetition of Chess, despite some lovely songs; the amateurishness of Fame; the bombasticism of Spring Awakening; and the list can go on.
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Aspects of Love - Worth going to see?#18
Posted: 10/26/07 at 7:46am
sorry but i would rather sit free grease 10 times, WWRY 15 times etc than sit through this again
Parsley
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Aspects of Love - Worth going to see?#19
Posted: 10/26/07 at 8:10am
I dont think anyone was asking you to sit through it again. It is merely an opinion, Nothing more. You know, people who all have differing interests in theatre, not one definitive word of authority :)
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Aspects of Love - Worth going to see?#20
Posted: 10/26/07 at 8:19am
of course, and im sure it has its fans and thats great

One thing i did notice is that 90 percent of the audience of this dont appear to be fans of the show but rather fans of David Essex (the t shirts and middle aged women gave it away lol)
simon_wilkie
Understudy
Understudy
re: Aspects of Love - Worth going to see?#21
Posted: 10/26/07 at 6:41pm
Well,

It looks like it's up to me to defend the poor show!!!

I saw it on the Wednesday matinee and all I can say is- go and see it!

I am biased, as IMO it is ALW's best score ever (I have recently been converted from a die-hard Sunset fan of about 10 years!) The score is packed with heart wrenching songs and it's portrayal of the bohemian life of the leisure classes in the 1940s-1950s is superb.

Love Changes Everything was the only let-down. I didn't enjoy Matt Rawle's version, although that is probably because I am so used to Michael that anyone else as Alex now is just too weird. However, I admit he grew into the part as the show went on and by the end I thought he was fantastic. The same thing happened with David Essex as George, and I ended up really feeling for him as he climnbs the stairs to stop his daughter's incestuous relationship with her 30+ year old cousin. Kevin Colson was again so fantastic that it took a bit for David to grow on me.

Two other areas of contention were the "revisions"- coincidentally to my fave parts of the score (I think again of the mess-up to the original 'The Lady's Paying' in Sunset and the deletion of 'Annie Christmas' from the touring WDTW!). They altered the arrangement for my fave song...'She'd Be Far Better Off With You' and took away jolly decent lines, replacing them with lines for Rose and the housekeeper. Secondly, the 'Love Changes Everything Reprise' at the end of Act 1, which I love is now gone! AND as an Eng Lit student I was particularly displeased with the omittance of the 'No-one said that Romeo was a monster' line by Jenny in the final scene, which I think totally puts into cotext the fickleness of love and our attitudes towards it both in the remit of the play and our reactions as an audience.

But yeah, if you want to see a gem of a show that puts the tosh that mostly tours these days (very often produced by Mr Kenwright!), then try and book for one of Aspects very limited stop-overs at a town near you!!!

Simon

PS. I must also compain to Songanddanceman2 as the official representative of the Palace Theatre on these boards! I don't know if you were working on Wednesday afternoon, but it was a nightmare!!! Old ladies day out!!! Now the interval seemed a lot longer (understandably!), it took longer getting in/out of the theatre, the smell of flowery perfume almost knocked me out and I heard some classic comments from my neighbours..."I prefer proper musicals. Ones with all singing and dancing"..."Ooo it's a bit rude"...."What's the story of it?"...."Did you see Calamity Jane? Ooo that was a good show"...(after 10minutes of pre-theatre chattering, towards the end of the first bar of Love Changes Everything) "I think I better shut up now"....I didn't bother replying!!!
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Aspects of Love - Worth going to see?#22
Posted: 10/26/07 at 6:59pm
hahahaha simon, i have to hear the comments everyday

The interval been longer though is down to the company and not to the theatre, and this show for some reason has not started or finished on time once lol.

And are you trying to tell me that the little old ladies are annoying lol