Page: 1

Hairspray comments

little donkey Profile Photolittle donkey Profile Photo
little donkey
Swing
Swing
Hairspray comments#1
Posted: 10/19/07 at 7:55am
I'm really confused - i thought that hairspray opened this week and there don't seem to have been any reviews at all posted here... Now, the likelyhood is that I'm being a total muppet but can someone please update me!
I only get to london three or four times a year and so won't get to see it til November - Hows it looking?
widgetsparky
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Hairspray comments#2
Posted: 10/19/07 at 8:01am
its in previews, its not "open" until after press night which is on 30th october. so basically they are still reherasing it and making minor changes. you can still watch it though. saw it yesterday. brilliant!
WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hairspray comments#2
Posted: 10/19/07 at 8:24am
Previews are sometimes the best time to see a show if you can. The cast are really on thier heels with daily rehearsals and media attention etc. I saw its final dress rehearsal last Weds and it was amazing then. Apart from Lord Of The rings this is one of the longest preview periods a show has had for along time, Oct 11 thru 29- thats 23 full public performances before the critics get hold of it.
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hairspray comments#3
Posted: 10/19/07 at 9:09am
There were some posts but they were lost in the recent system faliure.

There is a thread on the Broadway board somewhere. :)
Updated On: 10/19/07 at 09:09 AM
Boybooshka Profile PhotoBoybooshka Profile Photo
Boybooshka
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Hairspray comments#4
Posted: 10/19/07 at 12:52pm
Saw this yesterday, close to being the most fun i've had in a Theatre ever. Saw the matinee and if i could have i would have happily stayed there to watch the evening performance too. Wasn't really that interested in Hairspray -the musical (despite, or maybe because of being a fan of the John Waters movie) but the trailers for the film version persuaded me to go and see that, and i loved it, so then couldn't wait to see the stage show.

The cast by and large outshine their film counterparts with the main exception being Tracey Bennett as Velma, she was good but not as good as Pfeiffer who i think was fantastic. Bennet's Velma felt just a tad too broad and panto like for me, almost like she had not quite shook off the idea that she was the comic relief, as she was in Les Mis. That said i am a fan though, and would want to see how see settles into the role.

I've never been a fan of Michael Ball's previously but wow has that changed now, lol. He was stunningly good, so much fun and playing the role as a character, rather than a man in drag. there was great chemistry between him and Mel Smith, who was also really good in what i think is a fairly thankless role, and there version of your timeless to me was a definite highlight, featuring some fairly crude and very funny humour.

Leanne makes a great Tracy and shes certainly a much better dancer than Nikki Blonsky, great voice too and shes clearly having a ball. actually all the cast just seem to be having so much fun , the energy of it all really comes across well. Link who is much cuter than Zac Efron it has to be said, looks like he is going to bounce off the stage at quite a few points, it could be a character tick but it feels like hes just so bl**dy excited to be there, wherever it comes from it's fun to see.

I could go on forever through the entire cast but don't wanna bore you, needless to say the rest were all excellent and Adrian Hansell as Seaweed particularly good.

The sets are great and work really well, and don't suffer at all from the fact that i'd already seen the film version in all its Hollywood multi millon dollar budget glory.

If i was forced to say anything negative about the show as a whole, it would just be that i think the racial themes of the peice come out much stronger in the film than the stage production, some of the changes in the film help to underline them. having said that of course film and Theatre are different art forms and i wouldn't expect or want the same experience from them.

All in all great show can't recommend it highly enough. Yet another added to my listy of shows i must see again, lol.

All this is just my opinion of course, don't crucify me if you disagree, :)

Boybooshka
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Hairspray comments#5
Posted: 10/19/07 at 12:56pm
Forgot to say, the audience reaction to this was wild and ecstatic. If the quality of the show and the reaction yesterday are anything to go by this is gonna be HUGE over here.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hairspray comments#6
Posted: 10/19/07 at 3:26pm
I think ALL comparisons to the wonderful musical film should stop NOW. You cant compare Ms Bennett to Ms Phifferor any any other actors. The stage show is 100% different and the London performances are that as what you see on Broadway. Walking around NY last night and todat they have a really good new ad campaign on at the mo with the selling lione of 'See It Live!'
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Boybooshka
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Hairspray comments#7
Posted: 10/19/07 at 3:52pm
I get your point, i made a similar point myself, but i think you're overstating a bit. 100% different? Same songs, same characters, same plot (with a few fairly minor changes). I don't want to get bogged down in the mathmatics but i'd estimate 15 - 20% different :).

However as i did acknowledge previously they are different art forms, but a certain amount of comparison is bound to happen and certainly not a crime.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hairspray comments#8
Posted: 10/19/07 at 3:54pm
Theate is theatre. Cinema is cinema. Two very different worlds.
Boybooshka
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Hairspray comments#9
Posted: 10/19/07 at 4:02pm
your opinion is your opinion, my opinion is my opinion, but like theatre and cinema maybe they can occasionally influence each other. :)
little donkey Profile Photolittle donkey Profile Photo
little donkey
Swing
Swing
re: Hairspray comments#10
Posted: 10/19/07 at 5:34pm
THANK YOU ALL!!!!! I really appreciate hearing how its going at the minute - I can't wait to see it...yippee!
Clara's Pony Profile PhotoClara's Pony Profile Photo
Clara's Pony
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Hairspray comments#11
Posted: 10/21/07 at 6:41pm
Have seen it a few times now, the cast is just getting better and better! I really like all the changes made for London (not that there are that many). Just don't understand one cut (in Miss Baltimore Crabs) about Velma marrying a tycoon, then the "old fart dropped dead but left tons of money/then I bought this station so all of the nation could see/baby Amber and me". I suppose it's not that important, just can't see why it wasn't left in.
Why, hello Margaret! Yes darling, half past five. Well, everyone, simply le tout Park Avenue and la creme de Hyannis! Well, the press table's going to be awfully crowded... but if you don't mind sharing a folding chair with Harper's Bazaar... Sing? Me? Heavens no, it's Edie's day, not mine... Although people can be so insistent, and I hate to disappoint. Twist my arm, blackmail me, threaten my very life, and who knows? You might get a verse of something...
Updated On: 10/21/07 at 06:41 PM
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hairspray comments#12
Posted: 10/21/07 at 11:11pm
I miss the orchestra walk!
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hairspray comments#13
Posted: 10/22/07 at 5:12am
I agree, out of the all the changes in the London Production the removal of the orchestra runway is one I didn't like. I wonder why they decided to remove it as they originally intened it to use because when tickets went on sale back in May, they only sold the stalls seats from Row D onwards.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hairspray comments#14
Posted: 10/22/07 at 9:00am
Its like staging 'Helly, Dolly' without the orchestra walk!!!
Thats interesting about haow they held back the first 4 rows!